Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 AM   Thread Starter #1
Glendales Official 6th Gen
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 35
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard
Default Need Some Coilover Help

hey guys so i want to go lower on my Z, teehehe and i was wondering, i know you can remove perches if the coilovers are maxed out but would it work if i just dropped the spring all the way down to the last perch, on my coilovers when theyre maxed out i still have about an inch of space between the spring and perch like this, would it be okay to just drop the spring all the way down to just lay the spring on the last perch?

@hero782 maybe you can help me out with advice?

this is how my front coilover looks maxed out (not my picture)
p.s thats a rear coilover but looks exactly the same as the front, i just used the picture for reference of the threaded space on the coilover that im talking about

Click the image to open in full size.

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z

Last edited by Kenny; 01-29-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 28
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Default Re: Need Some Coilover Help

You only remove spring perches/locking collars if you have more room to lower the shock and the (spring perch and shock) locking collars are touching. If you lower the spring perch now, you won't have any pre-load on the spring and it'll ride like shiyat, which is why you lower the car by adjusting the shock, not the spring perch. The correct way to go lower using those same springs is to shorten the threaded portion of the shock insert to give you the room to adjust the shock lower.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 PM   Thread Starter #3

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by joecurr View Post
You only remove spring perches/locking collars if you have more room to lower the shock and the (spring perch and shock) locking collars are touching. If you lower the spring perch now, you won't have any pre-load on the spring and it'll ride like shiyat, which is why you lower the car by adjusting the shock, not the spring perch. The correct way to go lower using those same springs is to shorten the threaded portion of the shock insert to give you the room to adjust the shock lower.
I'm a little confused. When I try threading the shock body more it stops, the metal thread already hit the bottom of the black cup, what's the best way to get rid of that empty threaded space right there?

Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Honorable Ride  

Dude, come on seriously...

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 PM   Thread Starter #5

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post
Dude, come on seriously...
Don't worry, it's only temporary til I get my air suspension

Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Honorable Ride  

I dont know man...I hope you know what youre doing??? Good luck dude!!

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 335

Reputation Level: 22
hero782 will become famous soon enoughhero782 will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question. The pic you showed still has room to lower the car with no need to remove the perches. Now if there's no more room, you can remove the perches and it will lower more, I did this with my JICs. But my smart ass didn't notice the damper knob not having enough room between it and my CV boots, and well new axels were needed the following day lol.
hero782 is offline   Send a private message to hero782 Find more posts by hero782 Add hero782 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 PM   Thread Starter #8

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by hero782 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question. The pic you showed still has room to lower the car with no need to remove the perches. Now if there's no more room, you can remove the perches and it will lower more, I did this with my JICs. But my smart ass didn't notice the damper knob not having enough room between it and my CV boots, and well new axels were needed the following day lol.
Lol !!! That sucks!! And okay let me try to be a little more clear I know it's kind of confusing. Remember when we installed my coils and you taught me how to lower the car with the coilovers on already? I had to rotate one of the collars in order for the thread to go down, well if you see the black cup (that sais stance) it's shorter than the thread so when I rotate the collar it doesn't go anymore because the thread already hit the bottom of the cup, so my question is how do I bring the spring lower to get rid of that threaded gap since I can't rotate the thread anymore because it already hit the bottom of the cup

Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Official Member

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
I'm a little confused. When I try threading the shock body more it stops, the metal thread already hit the bottom of the black cup, what's the best way to get rid of that empty threaded space right there?
If you can't thread the shock any lower, then that's the lowest you'll be able to go. You can't, or at least you shouldn't, get rid of that empty threaded space by lowering the spring perch because you will not have the required preload on the springs and the suspension will not function correctly. If you want to go lower correctly with those coils, you need a shorter length shock insert, which you might be able to order, or maybe you can get the bottom portion of the thread cut off (assuming its only thread and not required for shock travel.

When people remove perches/collars, it's usually when you CAN still thread the shock lower, BUT the collars are touching and preventing the shock from going lower. This means that the coils are maxed out because of the collars, not because the shock can't go lower.

IF you lower the spring perch, you'll be riding heavily on the shocks, the lower you go the more you'll be riding on shocks. I'd imagine that would severely reduce the life of them, as well as ride horribly.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 PM   Thread Starter #10

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

If you can't thread the shock any lower, then that's the lowest you'll be able to go. You can't, or at least you shouldn't, get rid of that empty threaded space by lowering the spring perch because you will not have the required preload on the springs and the suspension will not function correctly. If you want to go lower correctly with those coils, you need a shorter length shock insert, which you might be able to order, or maybe you can get the bottom portion of the thread cut off (assuming its only thread and not required for shock travel.

When people remove perches/collars, it's usually when you CAN still thread the shock lower, BUT the collars are touching and preventing the shock from going lower. This means that the coils are maxed out because of the collars, not because the shock can't go lower.

IF you lower the spring perch, you'll be riding heavily on the shocks, the lower you go the more you'll be riding on shocks. I'd imagine that would severely reduce the life of them, as well as ride horribly.

Ohhhh okay now it makes sense, but how do others slam their cars on these? I've seen Z's on forums that are LITERALLY touching the ground on 20's on these exact same coilovers (same model) without different length springs?
and I'm on 18's my ride should be lower by default in that case

Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Official Member

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

After doing a little reading, it seems at some point Stance changed the shock damper length to accommodate everyone wanting to go lower. It's not about the length of the spring, it's the total shock damper length. If there's more thread than needed, the shock is too long and isn't suitable for slamming.

And just as a visual, I saw this picture in a thread. THIS is when you remove locking collars to go lower. By removing the locking collars it gives you about 1/4" each to lower the shock, then the spring perch sits on the lower mount.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM   Thread Starter #12

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

After doing a little reading, it seems at some point Stance changed the shock damper length to accommodate everyone wanting to go lower. It's not about the length of the spring, it's the total shock damper length. If there's more thread than needed, the shock is too long and isn't suitable for slamming.

And just as a visual, I saw this picture in a thread. THIS is when you remove locking collars to go lower. By removing the locking collars it gives you about 1/4" each to lower the shock, then the spring perch sits on the lower mount.

OHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! damnit i knew i wasnt wrong!!! is there any way i can shorten the shock damper?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
Official Member

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Did you buy them used or were they already on the car? It's possible you have a set before they shortened the shock length (that is IF Stance really did do that). Like I said, you MIGHT be able to grind/cut off a section of the lower thread, but you'll have to make sure it's hollow and isn't required for shock travel. You should probably contact Stance and see if they advise that or not, or see if anyone else with those coils has done that to get lower.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 PM   Thread Starter #14

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Did you buy them used or were they already on the car? It's possible you have a set before they shortened the shock length (that is IF Stance really did do that). Like I said, you MIGHT be able to grind/cut off a section of the lower thread, but you'll have to make sure it's hollow and isn't required for shock travel. You should probably contact Stance and see if they advise that or not, or see if anyone else with those coils has done that to get lower.
i bought them used with less than 500 miles on them, the guy gave me the receipt of when he bought them and it was like 4 months before i bought them from him, i think ill contact stance and see what i can do, i just want to know i have the feature to go lower because right now im pretty much maxed out, im still pretty damn low but i would look to go lower someday soon

Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
Official Member

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

I guess there are different versions of their coils, so check up on that too.