Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 4470

Reputation Level: 8
NYDutch is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Need Opinions on My Specific Brake Setup Making Noise

Currently have RotorPros slotted and drilled rotors in the front with Wilwood 4 piston superlites and Hawk pads. Also have Rotorpros in the rear with stock calipers and posiquiet pads.

I'm getting a good amount of noise from the front when I do a medium/hard stop.

I don't know if it's the rotors since they are slotted and drilled.

I don't know if its the Hawk pads because I have heard some say they are noisy.

I also don't know if my rotors are just already warped.

I had some problems initially with an insanely loud squealing sound and after bedding the pads and rotors the sound went away. Since then I have only driven under normal conditions with no excessively hard braking.

About 10 days after installing them I started to develop this loud rubbing type noise when stopping. Its only gotten worse since. It's really bad in a situation when the traffic light changes at that annoying point where you can either brake kinda hard or speed up. Well when I brake hard, it makes a lot of noise.

I will also note that during braking there is no shaking in the steering wheel or pedal but after coming to a stop in which this noise is made, I hear a "whoosh whoosh whoosh" sound that speeds up as I accelerate. THAT part of all these makes me say my rotors are warped.

I just need some input on what you guys think it is as Im about to just go buy new rotors but maybe that is not my issue?

Last edited by NYDutch; 04-23-2012 at 08:10 PM.
NYDutch is offline   Send a private message to NYDutch Find more posts by NYDutch Add NYDutch to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Re: Need Opinions on My Specific Brake Setup Making Noise

I have the Wilwood fronts and I HATE the pads. I get crazy squealing right after it rains, and also once the brakes heat up they squeal as the car is almost stopped. I'm going to be looking into some different pads as I hate the squealing. The car stops great, but I HATE the noise. If your rotors are warped, you'll feel it either in the seat (rears), or in the pedal or steering wheel (fronts).
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   Thread Starter #3

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
I have the Wilwood fronts and I HATE the pads. I get crazy squealing right after it rains, and also once the brakes heat up they squeal as the car is almost stopped. I'm going to be looking into some different pads as I hate the squealing. The car stops great, but I HATE the noise. If your rotors are warped, you'll feel it either in the seat (rears), or in the pedal or steering wheel (fronts).
Sounds like our situations are similar.

It just rained in NY a decent amount for the first time since I installed this setup and I am ALSO experiencing that slight grinding/squealing sound when coming to a stop. That sound is different from the overall noise I am getting when stopping.

As far as the warping issue, like I said I don't feel it in the pedal or wheel but one point I forgot to mention is I have uneven wearing on my rotor. Instead of an even grayish/black coat, it's got 1/2 inch wide streaks where it looks like pad material has not been applied the same as the rest of the rotor.
NYDutch is offline   Send a private message to NYDutch Find more posts by NYDutch Add NYDutch to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 335

Reputation Level: 23
hero782 will become famous soon enoughhero782 will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Official Ride  

It's the pads, hawk shims are smooth which cause them to vibrate more and squeal.
hero782 is offline   Send a private message to hero782 Find more posts by hero782 Add hero782 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by NYDutch View Post
Sounds like our situations are similar.

It just rained in NY a decent amount for the first time since I installed this setup and I am ALSO experiencing that slight grinding/squealing sound when coming to a stop. That sound is different from the overall noise I am getting when stopping.

As far as the warping issue, like I said I don't feel it in the pedal or wheel but one point I forgot to mention is I have uneven wearing on my rotor. Instead of an even grayish/black coat, it's got 1/2 inch wide streaks where it looks like pad material has not been applied the same as the rest of the rotor.
Why don't you try swapping the pads front/back and see what happens. I'm going to try that on mine and see if squealing get any better.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM   Thread Starter #6

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Why don't you try swapping the pads front/back and see what happens. I'm going to try that on mine and see if squealing get any better.
When you say front and back, do you mean inside and outside?

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Originally Posted by hero782 View Post
It's the pads, hawk shims are smooth which cause them to vibrate more and squeal.
That makes two that says it's the pads.

Any suggestions for a better pad? I'm pretty sure @EddyMaxx uses the wilwood ones and he's happy with them.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Yes, front/back...inside/outside...tomato/tomahto...!!!

I've been told that the EBC pads are pretty good...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #8

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

When you say front and back, do you mean inside and outside?

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

That makes two that says it's the pads.

Any suggestions for a better pad? I'm pretty sure @EddyMaxx uses the wilwood ones and he's happy with them.
I use the Wilwood's correct. Never had ANY squealing other than my ex wife LOL.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
BurntOrangeAppeal (04-25-2012)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2012, 01:40 PM   Thread Starter #9

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
I use the Wilwood's correct. Never had ANY squealing other than my ex wife LOL.
@EddyMaxx so I bought 15Q-6829K wilwood pads and they are too thick to fit between my fully compressed caliper and the rotor. The back plate is exactly the same so they are compatible with the calipers, just not my particular set up.

Should have cross referenced the dimensions of the Hawks I have and these wilwoods i bought.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #10

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

@EddyMaxx so I bought 15Q-6829K wilwood pads and they are too thick to fit between my fully compressed caliper and the rotor. The back plate is exactly the same so they are compatible with the calipers, just not my particular set up.

Should have cross referenced the dimensions of the Hawks I have and these wilwoods i bought.
I don't remem the part # since I originally ordered the brakes with those pads. Fast Brakes should it.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM   Thread Starter #11

I called Wilwood and they helped me out. By default the website suggests a 7420 pad plate. They also offer a 7416 that is the same plate size but a little thinner.

I'm hoping it will fit.