Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2055

Reputation Level: 9
gangledupjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Knocking While Braking???

Ok...I'm stumped here...

I took my '05 to get an oil change today at Texaco Quick Lube (which is probably mistake number one, I usually do it myself but didn't have time) and as I drove out of the lot I thought I heard a slight knocking, but wasn't sure. Come to find out, there IS a knocking coming from my front passenger wheel when I LIGHTLY hit the brakes. For example, if I'm doing a good speed (30-40 mph) and hit the brakes with some force, the sound is not there. If I I'm normal driving and coming to stop, it will knock with the rotation of the tire (Steady rhythmic knock that slows as the car slows). It only does it when I'm going straight. If I turn and lightly brake....nothing. No noise at all. I've checked under the hood, under the car itself, behind the wheel, and I don't see anything loose or missing.

I don't know what they could have done to cause this just changing the oil, but it also started as SOON as I pulled out of the lot.

Completely stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
gangledupjoe is offline   Send a private message to gangledupjoe Find more posts by gangledupjoe Add gangledupjoe to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Premier Member

Official Member #: 1114

Reputation Level: 18
05SilverMax will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Default Re: Knocking while braking???

Sounds like a bent wheel, or maybe a bent rotor if you're slightly more lucky.
35% Tint, Roof Spoiler, Takeda CAI, Nismo Catback, Racingline Y-Pipe, Black LED Tails, Full Debadge, KCMAX RSTB, C-Mod Grille, Two 10' Punch2 Subs, Pioneer 3200bt HU, Viper 5902. Progress Springs, KYB Shocks/Struts, Hawaii50 Grounding Kit.
05SilverMax is offline   Send a private message to 05SilverMax Find more posts by 05SilverMax Add 05SilverMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

What I would recommend is the following if you cant see anything visual...and you havent hit anything recently. Also, assuming that you are doing your oil changes you are familiar with jacking a vehicle procedures. Please, use common sense and safety. Lift the front end of the vehicle of the ground on a level surface. Make sure the vehicle is secure, by applying slight pressure to the either the fendes/ front rad support (away from you) Grab each side of the tiire (9&3 o'clock position) and wiggle it back and forth, feel for inner/outer tie rod play. Now grab at 12&6 position and wiggle tire up and down to check ball joints, or use the more often preferred method of using a brybar between the spindle and control arm on the inside of the tire....

If you came up with no play on either side. Apply emergency brakes. Get a helper wearing safety glasses,(tire might have a rock or debris flying off) to lay under the vehicle, make sure you stay clear of any rotating parts! clear of any obstructions and see if he/she can see anything while you duplicate the symptoms under which the knock is usually occuring while driving, however this time you will be doing this in mid air. ( ABS light will come on, which is normal) as the rear wheels are stopped and fronts are spinning. ABS light will automatically reset once all 4 wheel sensors send approximately the same speed signal to ABS module....

If any of this sounds too dangerous or complicated, take it to a reputable shop and they should be able to find this on the hoist within short period of time. Aprox. 1/2 hour labour time charge, at least at my shop..
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 02-04-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
1hawaii50 (02-04-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 3069

Reputation Level: 11
byrothapyro is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Knocking While Braking???

Is it a knocking, or like a metal scrape? I had something similar to this, didn't sound dangerous or anything it turned out it was the backing plate / dust shield on the back of the rotor. I thought it was a warped rotor, which it wasn't.. but the noise it made was a horrific sounds on slow stopping. While @ mechanics I grabbed his pliers and just bent it as hard as I could in toward in the engine bay and I haven't heard the noise since.
I would think if this was a bent wheel you would feel more of a very uncomfortable thumping?

Was it doing this before the oil change? Go back to the shop and tell them to fix that shit! Lol
& deff try what ^^^^ said to check for play. If you know somebody with a lift that would be prime..
Keep us posted!

Posted Via Tapatalk Pro for Android.

Last edited by byrothapyro; 02-04-2012 at 08:30 PM.
byrothapyro is offline   Send a private message to byrothapyro Find more posts by byrothapyro Add byrothapyro to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 34
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Originally Posted by gangledupjoe View Post
Ok...I'm stumped here...

I took my '05 to get an oil change today at Texaco Quick Lube (which is probably mistake number one, I usually do it myself but didn't have time) and as I drove out of the lot I thought I heard a slight knocking, but wasn't sure. Come to find out, there IS a knocking coming from my front passenger wheel when I LIGHTLY hit the brakes. For example, if I'm doing a good speed (30-40 mph) and hit the brakes with some force, the sound is not there. If I I'm normal driving and coming to stop, it will knock with the rotation of the tire (Steady rhythmic knock that slows as the car slows). It only does it when I'm going straight. If I turn and lightly brake....nothing. No noise at all. I've checked under the hood, under the car itself, behind the wheel, and I don't see anything loose or missing.

I don't know what they could have done to cause this just changing the oil, but it also started as SOON as I pulled out of the lot.

Completely stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
I had this exact same issue, slow steady knocking while braking. I just took the car into a Big O Tires, they pulled the wheel and found the Endlink Nut had loosed up and fallen off. The endlink was just hanging there swaying back and forth, braking caused it to know against something near the wheel until I came to a complete stop. All the momentum gone, no knocking. They put the nut back on there, problem solved.,

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

Default Re: Knocking While Braking???

A bent wheel would cause vibration at all speeds not knocking. Im inclined to say the hub or something to do with your brakes. The fact the it happened after they did the oil change could just be a coincidence.