Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:03 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 7515

Reputation Level: 7
Sandwichmixto is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default How to deal with creaky coilovers!

My coilovers were creaking the other day so I took to the internet to find a solution. Here's a well-detailed writeup from clublexus

When you get some miles on a coilover you may want to take some time to go over them and do a little maintenance. Get some compressed air and blow out every crevice of the coilover, dirt, grime and road debris can build up in all the tiny crevices and cause noises as well as wear. You can do this on the car, or take them off the car and do a more thorough cleaning.

You can also check Preload.

The proper way to set preload on a coilover-

-Loosen both lock rings under the spring (spring seat ring(top) and spring lock ring(bottom)) so that the spring is loose and can move up and down slightly.

-Tighten up the spring seat ring so that the spring is snug, but do not tighten it down past simply holding the spring snug, this will be "0" preload.

-Now bring the bottom lock ring up so that it is just touching the spring seat ring, but do not tighten to lock, you will be moving the spring seat ring next.

-Now tighten up the spring seat ring so that you are now preloading (compressing) the spring.

-Measure the distance between the bottom ring and the top ring as you are tightening, once there is a 3mm gap between the two rings, you have 3mm of preload on the spring.

-Tighten up the lock ring to lock your preload in place

-Repeat for all 4 corners.

You also want to check and make sure the top 17mm center nut is tight, it's best to check it with an impact gun if you have access to one, a wuick hit is all it should need. A few other areas to check are the lower mounting bolts, the 4 allen bolts that adjust camber, and the 4 lock bolts underneath the pillowball bearing, make sure all of these are tight.

Sometimes noise can come from somehwere else, endlinks, swaybars, and chassis contact can all be problems. Make sure now that the car is lowered and stiffer that you don't have exhaust contact anywhere. These are all common noise issues.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 15948

Reputation Level: 0
Bubba is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: How to deal with creaky coilovers!

Also look into a Torrington bearing set to go underneath the spring on top of the lock ring. It'll prevent spring clunks and bind when you are turning the wheels Left to Right.
They need to be greased every now and then to prevent them from failing but to me it is well worth the effort.

Also known as Torsion Release Bearings, Spring Seat Bearings, and a few other terms.
Here is an example
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hal-7888-109

Last edited by Bubba; 04-23-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Steezmuffin686 (06-04-2015)
Bubba is offline   Send a private message to Bubba Find more posts by Bubba Add Bubba to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top