Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

View Poll Results: Your lowering spring install:
Did it yourself and it went smooth... 4 100.00%
Did it yourself and wish you'da had somebody ELSE do it for you... 0 0%
Had someone else/a shop put 'em on... 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2055

Reputation Level: 9
gangledupjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Help With Springs

Just a quick poll/questionnaire:

Of the guys/gals that have installed lowering springs, how many did it on their own?? The DIY walk through threads here make it look easy (And HUGE thanks to everybody that contributes to all the DIY threads!!!). I've done it once before, about 7 years ago, on my 2000 Camaro SS I had. Let's just say it was NOT good!! Ended up running into issues with the bolt on the top of the struts (Struts had never been replaced) and had to find someone to torch them off. Then after all THAT got taken care of, I got it back together and had TERRIBLE clunking/thuds when I hit ANY type of bump. Ended up taking forever, and then had to take it somewhere and they basically redid 'em. So, I'm a little gun-shy but fairly confident I can get it right this go round.

So how many of you have done it yourself? Fairly easy or difficult? (Planning on using autozone/advance auto parts rental spring compressors by the way)

P.S. - I have Tein springs on the way...should be delivered this Thursday (Along with some spacers and my Takeda CAI ).

Thanks in advance
gangledupjoe is offline   Send a private message to gangledupjoe Find more posts by gangledupjoe Add gangledupjoe to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Default Re: Help With Springs

I've done this a bunch of times. It's actually very easy. The first time I did it I was nervous. I took some pics and used a marker to mark things so I put it back the same way. Now I can pull off a strut in less than 30 minutes.

Rent a spring compressor. You will need it for the stock springs. It's not necessary for the Teins,but it will help to put the strut mounts on.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
gangledupjoe (03-24-2013), Latinmaxima (03-25-2013)
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2013, 08:12 PM   Thread Starter #3

Yeah, I noticed on one of the walkthroughs, that the poster mentioned marking with a permanent marker a few spots. Definitely seems like a good idea...

Edit: Also, yeah, I'm going to rent a spring compressor. From what I heard, the "Rental Fee" is more like a deposit. When you bring it back, they give you your money back? I don't remember if that was the case back in '05-'06 when I did it...

Last edited by gangledupjoe; 03-24-2013 at 08:15 PM.
gangledupjoe is offline   Send a private message to gangledupjoe Find more posts by gangledupjoe Add gangledupjoe to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

I did.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Yeah, rent a good spring compressor. Advance Auto had a great one that you could turn with a socket and it made it super easy. It was my first time doing springs, it was pretty easy. Just don't rush it.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 AM   Thread Starter #6

The mods are strong with this thread....

I was honestly planning on having someone do it for me, but after the diy write ups and hearing from a few, I'm just going to do it mahself (And also save about $120)! Can't wait...seems like it's been FOREVER since I did some modding/upgrading.
smittybizzle (03-29-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by gangledupjoe View Post
The mods are strong with this thread....

I was honestly planning on having someone do it for me, but after the diy write ups and hearing from a few, I'm just going to do it mahself (And also save about $120)! Can't wait...seems like it's been FOREVER since I did some modding/upgrading.
Just be careful no to rip the CV boots. The second time I did this I put a tiny nick in the passenger side,2 days later grease every where!!

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
gangledupjoe (03-25-2013), smittybizzle (03-25-2013)
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 PM   Thread Starter #8

Yikes...thanks for the heads up
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 35
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

I've been doing this since I was 17 (19 now) and I've done it on 2 Maximas including my own, an s2000, 3 350z, Toyota Camry etc etc. Its actually very easy, but it's good to be very careful and patient when doing it

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
ESTEP_33 (03-31-2013), Latinmaxima (03-25-2013)
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM   Thread Starter #10

Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
I've been doing this since I was 17 (19 now) and I've done it on 2 Maximas including my own, an s2000, 3 350z, Toyota Camry etc etc. Its actually very easy, but it's good to be very careful and patient when doing it
Thanks....yeah my first time (DOING SPRINGS) I was around 20, now I'll be 30 in a month in a half. I guess it's been longer ago than I thought.

Also, another question...never really seen this addressed. How far down do you need to torque down that top nut on the struts??
Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Thanks....yeah my first time (DOING SPRINGS) I was around 20, now I'll be 30 in a month in a half. I guess it's been longer ago than I thought.

Also, another question...never really seen this addressed. How far down do you need to torque down that top nut on the struts??
You dont torque those down. It would be impossible to torque them with a torque wrench as the strut rod would be spinning as you would apply torque. You use an inpact gun to tighten the top nut and ALWAYS use a new lock nut.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
smittybizzle (03-25-2013)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 PM   Thread Starter #12

Yeah, I didn't literally mean TORQUE it, I guess I should have worded it differently. But just tighten it down until it stops turning? I vaguely remember doing it last time and there being more threads that it could have gone down. Then again, I screwed it up that go round too
Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
Official Member

Official Member #: 7276

Reputation Level: 7
Grenadian is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit Grenadian's PS3 Profile Visit Grenadian's YouTube Visit Grenadian's Xbox Gamercard

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
You dont torque those down. It would be impossible to torque them with a torque wrench as the strut rod would be spinning as you would apply torque. You use an inpact gun to tighten the top nut and ALWAYS use a new lock nut.
By top nut, you mean the nut that holds everythign together? If so, then you don't need to use an impact. Just your manly man power. Or that's what i've done. No problems here. Then again, it was on a different car.

And yah, when you rent the tool, you can keep it for like 45 days. Bring it back before then you get your money back. After that and it's yours, they keep the money. That's what they told me when i went there.

Grenadian is offline   Send a private message to Grenadian Find more posts by Grenadian Add Grenadian to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 PM   Thread Starter #14

Originally Posted by Grenadian View Post
By top nut, you mean the nut that holds everything together? If so, then you don't need to use an impact. Just your manly man power. Or that's what i've done. No problems here. Then again, it was on a different car.

And yah, when you rent the tool, you can keep it for like 45 days. Bring it back before then you get your money back. After that and it's yours, they keep the money. That's what they told me when i went there.
Yes the top one holding the spring and strut all together. On my first go of it, that nut was rusted on and I had to have it torched off, and put a new one on. Then when it came to putting it all back together, I didn't know how far to tighten it back down. All the way to where the threads stop I'm assuming??
Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Official Member

Official Member #: 7276

Reputation Level: 7
Grenadian is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit Grenadian's PS3 Profile Visit Grenadian's YouTube Visit Grenadian's Xbox Gamercard

Yes the top one holding the spring and strut all together. On my first go of it, that nut was rusted on and I had to have it torched off, and put a new one on. Then when it came to putting it all back together, I didn't know how far to tighten it back down. All the way to where the threads stop I'm assuming??
Yup. As long as you don't take it off the same time you take down the other three nuts or whatever they're called, then you're good. I expect you know what happens if you don't use spring compressors and take off the big nut?

Grenadian is offline   Send a private message to Grenadian Find more posts by Grenadian Add Grenadian to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 PM   Thread Starter #16

Well the tein springs came in today, and I rented the compressors last night. Gonna hit it in the A.M. Wish me luck!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #17
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Well the tein springs came in today, and I rented the compressors last night. Gonna hit it in the A.M. Wish me luck!
Just follow that sticky and take your time. Easy peasy, homie.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #18
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 35
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

whatever you do read every word on the sticky carefully, dont wanna see a thread saying "lost an eye ball, but no more wheel gap!"

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Chemax (03-31-2013)
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2013, 01:48 AM   #19
Peoria's Finest Majestic

Official Member #: 4414

Reputation Level: 8
MaxiM1923 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit MaxiM1923's Xbox Gamercard

How did it go?? remember your alinement too..
MaxiM1923 is offline   Send a private message to MaxiM1923 Find more posts by MaxiM1923 Add MaxiM1923 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 PM   Thread Starter #20

Well, went great! Honestly, the hardest part was breaking free some of those bolts!!! Some of them were ridiculous! I'm sore, and a little beat up on the knuckles, but I did a lot. Got the springs on, plasti-dipped my stock rims, chrome/peeling strips on the roof/front window/rear window, the side mirrors, rear emblems, and gas cover. Also installed my Takeda cold air and changed my driver's side headlight and went with the "Removing the front bumper" method. Got the 3 year alignment with tire kingdom, and after they did it, it's still pulling a little to the right.

Overall? The springs ride AMAZING!! Close to stock ride quality, but sits more aggressive and "sticks" to the ground. The intake definitely adds a little bit, and sounds awesome (I think my wife is getting annoyed by the gas I'm burning to hear it )

Thanks again for all the help...gonna do a FEW more things then post up some before and afters

P.S. - My cmod grille is due on April 4th...

Last edited by gangledupjoe; 03-31-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Chemax (04-01-2013)