Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM   Thread Starter #1
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Default Help With '07 Drop..

I hope I posted this in the right place.

Anyway, I posted a thread on another forum about a problem Im having with my 07. I bought some Progress springs and KYB's from a memeber here. I put them in last weekend and them developed a strange problem. The car has a weird pull,sometimes to the left sometimes to the right. The steering wheel doesnt like to center its self. It feels very "tight" I guess is the best way to put it. Everyone that replied to my thread said "alignment". I took it on Friday for an alignment , and while the aligment was off it didnt fix the problem.

This morning driving to work it was pulling to the left. I stopped for gas and when I was driving again it was pulling to the right this time. Its a pretty good pull too. I have to usee some energy to keep it straight.

They had 3 guys looking at it and they dont understand why its doing this. Im going to have to take it apart,I guess, to see if I missed anything. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? About 2 years ago I had an Eibach setup and never had this problem,and it was fine before I did this.

Please help....
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Caution: SO CAL'S Official Female 6.5 Gen Maneater

Official Member #: 570

Reputation Level: 25
dayyummCYNTHiA will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
Default Re: Help with 07 drop..

it can be the threads on your tires, the road too. or the ppl at the Alignment place didn't align it correctly. Did the printout give you the degrees?

Click the image to open in full size.

::Win, Lose, or tie.. it's GOOD TiMES Till I DIE!!! ::
dayyummCYNTHiA is offline   Send a private message to dayyummCYNTHiA Find more posts by dayyummCYNTHiA Add dayyummCYNTHiA to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 AM   Thread Starter #3
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by dayyummCYNTHiA View Post
it can be the threads on your tires, the road too. or the ppl at the Alignment place didn't align it correctly. Did the printout give you the degrees?
Yeah they gave me a printout. He showed me where it was and what they set it to. Based on what he showed me it all looked good.

We also tried to rotate the tires and had the same problem. Is there a camber kit we can buy for these cars?
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #4

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post
Yeah they gave me a printout. He showed me where it was and what they set it to. Based on what he showed me it all looked good.

We also tried to rotate the tires and had the same problem. Is there a camber kit we can buy for these cars?
yea.. camber kit helps too. Did u buy it from DSTRUC?

dayyummCYNTHiA is offline   Send a private message to dayyummCYNTHiA Find more posts by dayyummCYNTHiA Add dayyummCYNTHiA to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 12:07 PM   Thread Starter #5
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

yea.. camber kit helps too. Did u buy it from DSTRUC?
Yes I did as a matter of fact.

They suggested a camber kit,but I didnt know I could get one. Is this possibly the problem?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 11

Reputation Level: 41
CleanMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutCleanMaxx has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Honorable Ride  

Visit CleanMaxx's Twitter Visit CleanMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: Help With 07' Drop..

you should NOT need a camber kit with progress springs on the maxima. I was lower on tein springs with my max and had NO camber wear at all what so ever.

I am a LOT lower on Eibach sportline springs now with my Z and still dont use a camber kit (little camber wear on tires).

They didnt align your car correctly, take it back and tell them to do it again........
Old 04-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #7

Yes I did as a matter of fact.

They suggested a camber kit,but I didnt know I could get one. Is this possibly the problem?
I have the camber kit for my whip and she's on progress and KYB.

never had that problem. I kinda agree with Cleanmaxxxxxxx!

Last edited by dayyummCYNTHiA; 04-18-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM   Thread Starter #8
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

I took it to Sears to have it aligned. They've done all my alignments without any problems.

Now,Im not saying that you all are incorrect in your assesments of this issue,but... Like I said I had it dropped with Eibachs before and never experienced this. As a matter of fact I took it for an alignment probably 3 months after installing the Eibachs and the guy said it wasnt that far off.

If I have to have it rechecked Im going to go someplace else,but before I do is there anything else it could be? Endlinks? Is it possible I put it together wrong? Ive been working with cars for a long time and I have to be honest,it just doesnt "feel" like an alignment issue.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Premier Member

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

Doesnt seem to be a common issue... you will have to get it up in the air and look at it.

Nizmo101 or Mr.Dolla might be able to take a few guesses at to what it might be but like I said its not a common problem here on the forum so its hard to know without seeing/driving the car...
Old 04-18-2011, 01:18 PM   Thread Starter #10
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by CleanMaxx View Post
Doesnt seem to be a common issue... you will have to get it up in the air and look at it.

Nizmo101 or Mr.Dolla might be able to take a few guesses at to what it might be but like I said its not a common problem here on the forum so its hard to know without seeing/driving the car...
I know its weird. Even the mechanics were baffled. They put it up on the lift and pretty much checked out what they could and they didnt see anything. I guess I might have to put the stock springs back on.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

who installed these on for you ?

whats happening here is , Alot of ppl dont realized when you take the struts off that on the top pillow mounts, You need to mark the 1 of the threads with Whiteout or something.

you see the top 3 holes where the pillow mount goes up into ? then needs to be in the right direction , they are NOT symmetric at all ,

Either you have the (Left) strut on the (Right) side or Vice Versa ,

I am leaning towards the pillow mount, if the springs where already compress on the struts /pillow mounts,

I am betting MONEY that you have the pillow mounts in the wrong direction.

Your going to need to pull it down, then your going to need to EYE the top mount and the holes again, some ppl force the threads/pillow mount into the hole and they dont even notice it.

If you notice the mounts have a slight angle that it sits ( its not FLAT surface ) you have it angle OUTwards , so mo matter what you forcing the steering OUTWARDs, Thus your pulling.
KZ 259 (04-22-2011)
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Example if you look at this pillow mount, the 3 threads are not symmetic

Now when we install struts we make sure that these hole are lined up with the car

Anytime we TAKE OFF struts

We dap a Whiteout on top of the thread and a dap on the inside where it goes,

This way when we reinstall it , we always know where it goes back into.

NO ONE THESE DAYS MARK THEM , and for DIY guys dont even know or have been told.
KZ 259 (04-22-2011)
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 02:07 PM   Thread Starter #13
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
who installed these on for you ?

whats happening here is , Alot of ppl dont realized when you take the struts off that on the top pillow mounts, You need to mark the 1 of the threads with Whiteout or something.

you see the top 3 holes where the pillow mount goes up into ? then needs to be in the right direction , they are NOT symmetric at all ,

Either you have the (Left) strut on the (Right) side or Vice Versa ,

I am leaning towards the pillow mount, if the springs where already compress on the struts /pillow mounts,

I am betting MONEY that you have the pillow mounts in the wrong direction.

Your going to need to pull it down, then your going to need to EYE the top mount and the holes again, some ppl force the threads/pillow mount into the hole and they dont even notice it.

If you notice the mounts have a slight angle that it sits ( its not FLAT surface ) you have it angle OUTwards , so mo matter what you forcing the steering OUTWARDs, Thus your pulling.
Thanks this is some good info.

I actually did it myself. When I bought these everything was already put together.

Heres what I did. On the top of the mount there is an "f", Im assuming that means it should be toward the front, correct?

There is also the word "out", Im assuming that mean it should point out towards the wheel, correct?

Now, the left and right thing, are they marked left and right?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Thanks this is some good info.

I actually did it myself. When I bought these everything was already put together.

Heres what I did. On the top of the mount there is an "f", Im assuming that means it should be toward the front, correct?

There is also the word "out", Im assuming that mean it should point out towards the wheel, correct?

Now, the left and right thing, are they marked left and right?
sometimes the strut perch may have L or R

you may also need to check with that, if your alignment wasnt off and it is now esp pulling,

the only thing you change was the struts and spring combo.

and since they were pre -assemble already , the only issue is either they are in the wrong direction , the pillow mount.

I would start from their , and since all these mechanics you took it too didnt even suggest the strut being the issue, leaves me to belive that they all overlook this, and went straight to your , tie rods, and probally your rack and pinion and cv axles.

I assume you didnt pull the axles out ( some ppl have done this by mistake )
if the only thing is you pull the 14mm top mount bolts
the (2) 17 and 19 mm on the bottom
and the nut that holds the tie rod ends,

those are the only bolts to pull off, so if you did that in correct order, the struts are probally need to switch L to R

if the pillow mounts are in correct ( double check anyways ) then the struts are on the wrong side.

as you said you already did the alignment , so im sure those guys check for camber, tire wear and factor that those are all good.

your issue is the struts which is my conculsion.
KZ 259 (04-22-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #15

MAYBE U HAVE A SQUIRREL LODGED UP THERE! CHECK! OMG! HE'S GONNA DIE! =(

Last edited by dayyummCYNTHiA; 04-18-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:28 PM   Thread Starter #16
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

sometimes the strut perch may have L or R

you may also need to check with that, if your alignment wasnt off and it is now esp pulling,

the only thing you change was the struts and spring combo.

and since they were pre -assemble already , the only issue is either they are in the wrong direction , the pillow mount.

I would start from their , and since all these mechanics you took it too didnt even suggest the strut being the issue, leaves me to belive that they all overlook this, and went straight to your , tie rods, and probally your rack and pinion and cv axles.

I assume you didnt pull the axles out ( some ppl have done this by mistake )
if the only thing is you pull the 14mm top mount bolts
the (2) 17 and 19 mm on the bottom
and the nut that holds the tie rod ends,

those are the only bolts to pull off, so if you did that in correct order, the struts are probally need to switch L to R

if the pillow mounts are in correct ( double check anyways ) then the struts are on the wrong side.

as you said you already did the alignment , so im sure those guys check for camber, tire wear and factor that those are all good.

your issue is the struts which is my conculsion.
Wow this is great info. Im assuming youre some type of professional mechanic??

No axels didnt come out at. Youre right when then were lookng they looked at the rack and pinion,tie rods and stuff like that. They wouldnt even look at the struts since they didnt install them. Ill have to check to make sure I have the left and right correct. I have Friday off so Ill do it then.

Thanks for your replies this is huge help. I aprreciate all the help from everyone else, I just wasnt convinced it was as simple as an alignment. It just doesnt feel right.
KZ 259 (04-22-2011), NiZMo1o1 (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 02:32 PM   Thread Starter #17
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

MAYBE U HAVE A SQUIRREL LODGED UP THERE! CHECK! OMG! HE'S GONNA DIE! =(
LOL, I did notice some squeaking but I didnt think much of it....
Old 04-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #18

LOL, I did notice some squeaking but I didnt think much of it....
poor Alvin,Simon or Theodore, or Brittnay, Elenaor or Jeanette!

Old 04-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Premier Member

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

nizmo101 for pres
CleanMaxx is offline   Send a private message to CleanMaxx Find more posts by CleanMaxx Add CleanMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #20
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Example if you look at this pillow mount, the 3 threads are not symmetic

Now when we install struts we make sure that these hole are lined up with the car

Anytime we TAKE OFF struts

We dap a Whiteout on top of the thread and a dap on the inside where it goes,

This way when we reinstall it , we always know where it goes back into.

NO ONE THESE DAYS MARK THEM , and for DIY guys dont even know or have been told.
I didn't know when I did mine. I just noticed it wasn't fitting and took a better look at it and then realized they only went in a certain way.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
NiZMo1o1 (04-18-2011)
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 04:43 PM   Thread Starter #21
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

nizmo101 for pres
I agree. Im new here ,but it doesnt take much to realize this guy knows what hes talking about.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #22
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

nizmo101 for pres
no no way , let me say this tho

* I am no expert , anyone that calls themself experts' arent , because theres always a greater knowledge out there to learn , im just a mere apprentace to something that im passonate about and I just happen to own a my6th *
Old 04-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #23
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

I never marked mine, but they only fit one way. When I went to put them back in, you rotate them until the holes line up. If they aren't going in the correct way, the holes won't line up. As far as the left/right strut, the struts have the part numbers stamped right on them. The left side should be part #334337, and the right should be #334336. You should be able to check the part numbers and see if you have them on the right sides, or not.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 PM   Thread Starter #24
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Thanks for all the help. I really hope its just as simple as swapping sides. Like I said Ill be doing this Friday. If you could check back Friday Ill update this post with my findings/reults.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #25
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

I've got Progress springs and GR2's, and the only pulling I get is when the tires hit the grooves in the roadway.