Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 556

Reputation Level: 9
Cheeto is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Electrical Tape On Caliper Pins?

I was changing my brake pads today and when I pulled the top guide pin out, the little rubber sleeve that slips over the end and sits inside the bracket hole(not the according boot) was stretched out and couldn't get the pin to go back in. So I called every where for some replacements. Nobody had them in stock and the dealership was already closed. So I wrapped some electrical tape around the pin where the sleeve would usually go. I drove around and it freakin worked. I am going to go the dealer tomorrow to buy some new ones and I'll install them tomorrow or the weekend, I won't be driving like this for very long. I just thought this was an interesting story to share. So if you run into this problem, wrapping electrical tape around the pin will work until you can get some new rubber sleeves.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: Electrical tape on caliper pins?

That is good to know. I would re clean and re grease to be safe once you remove it. The heat the tape may see might allow the sticky part to to come off into the pin area and you definitely don't want that sticky.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

Default Re: Electrical Tape On Caliper Pins?

Im trying to find out why would anyone need to do that. If you see that the boots are ripped. Order a set and replace them. Your brakes will be ok until then. Im just trying to find out why would you remove them while waiting on new ones.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 PM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 556

Reputation Level: 9
Cheeto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RAZ76 View Post
Im trying to find out why would anyone need to do that. If you see that the boots are ripped. Order a set and replace them. Your brakes will be ok until then. Im just trying to find out why would you remove them while waiting on new ones.
I didn't realize they were trashed until after I pulled them off. My plan was to buy brake pads after work and install them real quick. It was late at night and I needed my car for work the next day. I tried to put the pin back in but the old rubber sleeve was so swollen and stretched out that I couldn't push the pin back in. Its just one of those situations where I should have just bought a boot and hardware kit and waited until the weekend to do it. Poor planning on my part, I thought it was going to be a quick pad swap and it wasn't.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
I didn't realize they were trashed until after I pulled them off. My plan was to buy brake pads after work and install them real quick. It was late at night and I needed my car for work the next day. I tried to put the pin back in but the old rubber sleeve was so swollen and stretched out that I couldn't push the pin back in. Its just one of those situations where I should have just bought a boot and hardware kit and waited until the weekend to do it. Poor planning on my part, I thought it was going to be a quick pad swap and it wasn't.
Oh ok, it makes sense now.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
The rubber is always swollen from the lubricant. After cleaning out the hole and lubricating the hole...What you do is drive the rubber sleeve into the caliper retainer bracket hole with a round object just a tad smaller then the diameter of the hole the you insert the pin. ....you will never be able to insert the pin with the rubber sleeve on it.....Btw I realize how sexual this might sound....but this is best way to describe rubber going into a hole and

Via Tapatalk
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
Latinmaxima (04-06-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Connecticut's Prestige 6th Gen

Official Member #: 82

Reputation Level: 25
CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by Danski6MT View Post
The rubber is always swollen from the lubricant. After cleaning out the hole and lubricating the hole...What you do is drive the rubber sleeve into the caliper retainer bracket hole with a round object just a tad smaller then the diameter of the hole the you insert the pin. ....you will never be able to insert the pin with the rubber sleeve on it.....Btw I realize how sexual this might sound....but this is best way to describe rubber going into a hole and

Via Tapatalk
just woke up to see this and i totally lost the thought of brake caliper rubber boots

BurntOrangeAppeal (04-09-2012), S.V (04-07-2012)
CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top