Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:28 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Considering Coilovers but need advice

Hi guys,

I passed the 100K mark on my Max last week. I'm planning to upgrade my suspensions but before investing a grand in my car, I wanted to ask for your advice. At the time I have stock springs with KYBs all around. My front strut mounts are KYB too and they are Shut as F....
The ride quality really TBH sucks, it fells as if I have bunch solid rods placed instead of shocks and struts, They have no give whatsoever. I tried to bounce the back end of the car with no success and I'm a 250lb guy, I couldn't do it. Long story short I hate the KYBs and there's no way I'm going back to that.
I like to get some coilovers and adjust the ride height in a way that the front would have almost an inch and a half drop while maintaining the rear height as it is. What I want is a balanced stance with a comfortable cushy ride quality. I commute to school 60 miles a day and handling and cornering ability is the last thing on my list.

Now my questions are:
- Which brand coilovers do you suggest?
- Can these coilovers give e the soft and cushy ride quality?

I've read good things about BC Racing, if anyone who has them, can they give a feedback on how soft do they get on their softest setting and what are the dangers of running them too soft.

Thanks in advance guys
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2015, 05:52 PM   Thread Starter #2
Official Member

Default Re: Considering Coilovers but need advice

Anyone?
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #3

Official Member #: 16038

Reputation Level: 0
krisrivera is an unknown quantity at this point

I passed 100k not too long ago and i decided to get coilovers. I have K Sport kontrol pros with the shocks slightly on the stiffer side and for $890 shipped i love them. I read on this forum that BC Racing coilovers have the best ride quality, close to stock with the right setting tho. The only downside to lowering the maxima weather its springs or coilovers is the lower you go the more strain you put on your axles which reduces the life of them. IMHO i'd get coilovers for the ride height and shock absorber adjustibility so that way youre not "fixed" to a certain ride height and stiffness that springs and shocks offer.. judging from what youre looking for as far as ride quality i recommend Teins or BC. I was going to get BCs but the K Sports were more affordable

Last edited by krisrivera; 04-04-2015 at 11:02 PM.
krisrivera is offline   Send a private message to krisrivera Find more posts by krisrivera Add krisrivera to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2015, 01:39 AM   #4

Official Member #: 16375

maxx22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldnt do it Ive changed my whole front end from having coils on
maxx22 is offline   Send a private message to maxx22 Find more posts by maxx22 Add maxx22 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2015, 04:27 AM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

I hear you Maxx22, I'm not lowering my car too much, actually I'm planning on lowering the front about an inch or maybe 1.25" and keep the rear at the same height, @krisrivera , I went with BC, they're not delivered yet but I'm excited :D
My ride right now with stock springs and KYBs sucks bad....I'm pretty sure KYBs just seized cause as of right now, if I put all my 260 lbs weight on the car(front or rear), the car just moves less than quarter inch, there is no give to these goddamn KYBs...it's ridiculous, I hope the BC with the moderate drop and soft setting would give some comfort cause I'm sick of this ride quality that I have right now
Old 04-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Official Member

Official Member #: 2874

Reputation Level: 8
trilla_one is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like you just have a bad set of KYBS. My friend installed a set of them on stock springs in his 6th gen a year ago and the car still drives like butter. We dont have many options as far as coils go but your best bet are the BC's. Good luck.

"Every generation has to take its place in battling in the struggle for equality"

-Dr. Harry Thomas
trilla_one is offline   Send a private message to trilla_one Find more posts by trilla_one Add trilla_one to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 5770

Reputation Level: 7
Simplyred06 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Teins SS I like that I can Adjust the damper.
Simplyred06 is offline   Send a private message to Simplyred06 Find more posts by Simplyred06 Add Simplyred06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #8

Official Member #: 7515

Reputation Level: 7
Sandwichmixto is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the kyb struts not adjustable? I was under the impression you could adjust your dampening to create a stiffer or softer ride?

Maybe not all kyb struts have that feature, I might be wrong?

As far as coilovers go, I have BCs. I bought mine used and have still gotten over 2 years on them so far. I don't have any experience with other coils but I'd say they're ok. It seems as if there's still a lot of travel in the spring despite me riding with the maximum stiffness adjustment.

However this doesn't seem to be an issue for your desired purpose. There's 30 settings for dampening, some of which are really smooth and soft. I would recommend these if your struts aren't adjustable.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #9

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

I started out with BC coilovers then switched to Tein's basics. Right now the ride feels factory and smooth. No issues at all.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 AM   Thread Starter #10
Official Member

Hey guys finally got to install the BCs on my car. check it out. btw, what dampening settings are you guys running?
Click the image to open in full size.
Strangely on the soft settings my ride quality was actually way stiffer than the hard settings. Can anyone elaborate on how these settings work and what were your best ride quality settings? I understand that it would be different from car to car and brand to brand but as far as the principles I wanted to understand it
krisrivera (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 02:13 AM   #11

Official Member #: 16038

krisrivera is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emilbadal View Post
Hey guys finally got to install the BCs on my car. check it out. btw, what dampening settings are you guys running?
Strangely on the soft settings my ride quality was actually way stiffer than the hard settings. Can anyone elaborate on how these settings work and what were your best ride quality settings? I understand that it would be different from car to car and brand to brand but as far as the principles I wanted to understand it
She s looking good man im glad you went with the coilovers.. for my Ksports the shocks are 32 way adjustable. when the adjustment keys are in the shock, i twisted the key the maximum clicks to the right (hardest setting) then twisted the key to the left 18 clicks to where the shocks are slightly more on the softer side. IMO i believe that is a good starting point to test out the stiffness of the shocks. For my settings i have the fronts on 19 out of 32 and the rears on 16 out of 32 so they are pretty stiff.. the lower the number out of 32 the softer the shocks will be.. I believe the concepts of the shock adjustments should be the same with most brands of coilovers
krisrivera is offline   Send a private message to krisrivera Find more posts by krisrivera Add krisrivera to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top