Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:54 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 360

Reputation Level: 9
Bill Grinley is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default C1101 Code thru OBDII for the ABS?

So the mechanic called me during my inspection about the idiot lights, and I had him do a preliminary diagnosis of the wheel sensors, and they all read the right resistance- but the ABS, TCS, and SLIP lights are on. Says it could be a short in the wiring, OR a new ABS Module (!) Has anyone dealt with this issue on the 6 Gens? The ABS Module is about $1300 new from the stealership. If theres anything you guys have learned, I'd love to know.
Bill Grinley is offline   Send a private message to Bill Grinley Find more posts by Bill Grinley Add Bill Grinley to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: C1101 Code thru OBDII for the ABS?

If this is the issue , the abs module could be had at either RockAuto , Amazon , eBay , Courtesy Nissan Parts ( did business with them , top service ) .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2015, 06:17 AM   Thread Starter #3

The challenge is the troubleshooting. I have a wiring diagram and plan to check for continuity from the ABS to the RR sensor, since thats the code that trips (C1101), and look for the "possible short".
Then, following the advice of the TSB, clean out the hub, since according to information my buddy found on another forum, the 6 gens are famous for corrosion there.
Bill Grinley is offline   Send a private message to Bill Grinley Find more posts by Bill Grinley Add Bill Grinley to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
Reputable Member

Yep , same for my SER Altima , which is as basically the same mechanics as the 6th gen max .

Is that ok now ! Just don t forget to put on some dielctric grease on the connections while at it .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 16004

Reputation Level: 5
MAnNy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

I've had this same problem, well I'm still dealing with it. I followed the TSB from nissan brought new ABS sensor,brought new hub cleaned everything up. The problem didn't go away I need the module now. Not recommending you do this, but I un hooked my main sensor for the ABS to get it out of limp mode. Just don't have the $1300 rite now.
MAnNy07 is offline   Send a private message to MAnNy07 Find more posts by MAnNy07 Add MAnNy07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Reputable Member

Wonder if you take off the abs fuse if the speedometer will still work out .
Old 01-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
Official Member

Originally Posted by sprocketser View Post
Wonder if you take off the abs fuse if the speedometer will still work out .
I've tried that as well, Speedo didn't work. I think just un hooking the main ABS sensor.
MAnNy07 is offline   Send a private message to MAnNy07 Find more posts by MAnNy07 Add MAnNy07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #8
Reputable Member

Originally Posted by MAnNy07 View Post
I've tried that as well, Speedo didn't work. I think just un hooking the main ABS sensor.
Gee that sux , it was in my plans to remove that abs fuse . They found a good way to screw us on that one ! lol

Someone should find a way to cheat on the rear abs system as they do on the o2 sensors with headers ! lol
MAnNy07 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 01:24 PM   Thread Starter #9

I put her on the lift, pulled the parking brakes, and the hub, to find a bunch of dirt and filings inside the space between the hub ring and plastic cap where the sensor takes its reading. I cleaned it out, including the small void at the bottom that seems to be there to catch it all, then cleaned the sensor, and blew it all off with compressed air to both dry it, and ensure all of the dirt was out. When i hooked the reader up, the LH RR code was gone, but the RH RR code was still there.
I'm putting her back on the lift tonight to check the continuity of the sensor. A quick check on AutoZone shows an image of the sensor, with the famous connector plug found throughout our cars. If I dont get continuity, theres a short, and i need a new sensor. Because the sensor is basically a magnet, I should see some resistance, but I dont know what that OHM reading should be. Anyone?
The part is $116, and I wonder if it makes sense to replace it- tho i could check the fronts, and use their average as a baseline...
There are companies that rebuild the ABS modules for a fraction of the cost of a new one, but I'm not there yet. If the module has to come out, you lose your AC, and will need it recharged.
sprocketser (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #10
Official Member

Official Member #: 9697

Reputation Level: 6
Sammaxvq35 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had this same problem, well I'm still dealing with it. I followed the TSB from nissan brought new ABS sensor,brought new hub cleaned everything up. The problem didn't go away I need the module now. Not recommending you do this, but I un hooked my main sensor for the ABS to get it out of limp mode. Just don't have the $1300 rite now.
So you took the sensor out? Is it giving you any problems because you it took out? I have the same problem here
Old 01-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #11
Official Member

Where is the main abs sensor located?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:55 AM   Thread Starter #12

Hold on a minute! lol. Before we go replacing $1300 ABS modules, or disconnecting them (at best) to get them rebuilt, it may be the Active Wheel Speed Sensors.

At $145-$110 a piece, being a "parts-changing mechanic" is an expensive proposition as well. The mechannics don't know- unless you go to the Stealership, where they have the special tester, and harnesses, and fork over their hourly rate- the local mechanics just keep replacing parts until you say "uncle!". Even then, you're gonna need to tell them about TSB Ref#NTB02-120d.

I've done some research. Because I own two Maxima's, I am considering shelling out the coin for this: J-45741-BOX Checker, and J-45741-4 (front and rear RH side), J-4571-6 (front and rear LH side) harnesses. Google them, or go to handsontools.com and search. Everything is made by Kent-Tools, and is deemed by Nissan, a required "essential" tool for dealerships. All totaled, it's $225.61 and you can test all 4 sensors.

You CANNOT test the sensors with an OHMmeter. Won't happen. The sensors require an input signal voltage, and I don't know if backprobing them with the key on, would 1.) give you an intelligent reading, and 2.) create additional resistance (the ohm meter) giving you a faulty reading.

Bottom line is this: We either get the tool, and test ourselves, OR take it to the Dealership for them to test, OR just start replacing parts beginning with the Hub assembly...
sprocketser (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 09:57 AM   Thread Starter #13

Originally Posted by Sammaxvq35 View Post
on the firewall, under and behind a ton of stuff... can you say "last resort"?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #14
Official Member

So you took the sensor out? Is it giving you any problems because you it took out? I have the same problem here
No, no problems by me un hooking that sensor allows the car not to have that hesitation when you first start the car and take off. Are you experiencing that, then all three lights come on? You don't take the sensor out, you just unconnected.

It sits on top of the passenger side right motor mount, next to timing chain cover gray male and female clip.

Last edited by MAnNy07; 01-15-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #15
Official Member

Originally Posted by Bill Grinley View Post
Hold on a minute! lol. Before we go replacing $1300 ABS modules, or disconnecting them (at best) to get them rebuilt, it may be the Active Wheel Speed Sensors.

At $145-$110 a piece, being a "parts-changing mechanic" is an expensive proposition as well. The mechannics don't know- unless you go to the Stealership, where they have the special tester, and harnesses, and fork over their hourly rate- the local mechanics just keep replacing parts until you say "uncle!". Even then, you're gonna need to tell them about TSB Ref#NTB02-120d.

I've done some research. Because I own two Maxima's, I am considering shelling out the coin for this: J-45741-BOX Checker, and J-45741-4 (front and rear RH side), J-4571-6 (front and rear LH side) harnesses. Google them, or go to handsontools.com and search. Everything is made by Kent-Tools, and is deemed by Nissan, a required "essential" tool for dealerships. All totaled, it's $225.61 and you can test all 4 sensors.

You CANNOT test the sensors with an OHMmeter. Won't happen. The sensors require an input signal voltage, and I don't know if backprobing them with the key on, would 1.) give you an intelligent reading, and 2.) create additional resistance (the ohm meter) giving you a faulty reading.

Bottom line is this: We either get the tool, and test ourselves, OR take it to the Dealership for them to test, OR just start replacing parts beginning with the Hub assembly...
The sensors aren't cheap either, I paid $165 for the (RR) that's one one sensor. The hub was 130. But rockauto has cheaper prices, I didn't know about rockauto then.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:56 PM   Thread Starter #16

The sensors aren't cheap either, I paid $165 for the (RR) that's one one sensor. The hub was 130. But rockauto has cheaper prices, I didn't know about rockauto then.
In my area, the RR is $145, the LR is $110, and Hubs are $55, at O'Reilly Auto Parts, and RockAuto for $97 each sensor, both sides. Factor in $10 to ship. The cheapest hub is about $45 without shipping. Completely OFF the point of the thread, but ok.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:08 PM   Thread Starter #17

So I purchased the dealer tool, with both F and R harnesses. Two companies carry it; handsontools.com, and Tech-Mate 800-662-2001.

The price thru Tech-Mate was less than the handsontools website. All totaled, $159 for the BOX and harnesses ($15 shipping). Less than the $225.61 originally quoted. I should receive it within 5 days.

Rather than replacing sensors willy-nilly, this tool will pick out the bad ones.
sprocketser (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #18
Official Member

No, no problems by me un hooking that sensor allows the car not to have that hesitation when you first start the car and take off. Are you experiencing that, then all three lights come on? You don't take the sensor out, you just unconnected.

It sits on top of the passenger side right motor mount, next to timing chain cover gray male and female clip.
Ah ok. No, mine just does the humming noise 10-20 seconds after I start driving it, then goes away but the Abs light stays on. No problems braking though.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #19
Official Member

Ah ok. No, mine just does the humming noise 10-20 seconds after I start driving it, then goes away but the Abs light stays on. No problems braking though.
When mine first started my brake pedal would pulsate, and make this horrible grinding noise
I thought my pedal was gonna give out. After that when I would turn the car on I would hear the ABS motor humming then go off. But when I put the car in drive and take off it would hesitate going into some limp mode.

After limp mode, the car would drive regular. I've heard with those lights on the the ABS module/motor would be damaged more, I don't know how true that is. Good luck tho sammy hope you find a solution!
Old 01-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #20
Reputable Member

Sub d for future refs .
Old 01-16-2015, 08:18 AM   Thread Starter #21

When mine first started my brake pedal would pulsate, and make this horrible grinding noise
I thought my pedal was gonna give out. After that when I would turn the car on I would hear the ABS motor humming then go off. But when I put the car in drive and take off it would hesitate going into some limp mode.

After limp mode, the car would drive regular. I've heard with those lights on the the ABS module/motor would be damaged more, I don't know how true that is. Good luck tho sammy hope you find a solution!
With so many ABS problems, it's no wonder this site is rife with dead-end threads. If I find a thread that has to do with a challenge I'm having, I comment- if it's unrelated, I move on.

Just because the title has "ABS" does NOT mean it's related. I attempted to create a thread for future reference, and chronicle my progress. Instead, other issues UNRELATED to the thread, were introduced. FCOL, if you have something to contribute, do so, but if it's OFF topic, move on until you find someone talking about what you're talking about. This is a DEAD THREAD now. Peace out.
Dislikes: (3)
05blkmax5761 (01-16-2015), MAnNy07 (01-16-2015), sprocketser (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #22
Official Member

Official Member #: 7325

Reputation Level: 7
05blkmax5761 is an unknown quantity at this point

With so many ABS problems, it's no wonder this site is rife with dead-end threads. If I find a thread that has to do with a challenge I'm having, I comment- if it's unrelated, I move on.

Just because the title has "ABS" does NOT mean it's related. I attempted to create a thread for future reference, and chronicle my progress. Instead, other issues UNRELATED to the thread, were introduced. FCOL, if you have something to contribute, do so, but if it's OFF topic, move on until you find someone talking about what you're talking about. This is a DEAD THREAD now. Peace out.
WOW..... you really need to calm down ranting like a little kid. What more do you need to know about the abs? This thread has been up while now obviously people don't have a lot info on this, if their it's very little theirs two ways of dealing with this, replace sensor and hub clean up everything or new abs module or actuator whatever it's called. Some users gave their opinions on it, and you call it "thread jacking" what a joke!!

Last edited by 05blkmax5761; 01-16-2015 at 12:44 PM.
MAnNy07 (01-16-2015), sprocketser (01-16-2015)
Dislikes: (1)
Bill Grinley (01-16-2015)
05blkmax5761 is offline   Send a private message to 05blkmax5761 Find more posts by 05blkmax5761 Add 05blkmax5761 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2015, 03:33 PM   Thread Starter #23

Originally Posted by 05blkmax5761 View Post
WOW..... you really need to calm down ranting like a little kid. What more do you need to know about the abs? This thread has been up while now obviously people don't have a lot info on this, if their it's very little theirs two ways of dealing with this, replace sensor and hub clean up everything or new abs module or actuator whatever it's called. Some users gave their opinions on it, and you call it "thread jacking" what a joke!!
05BlkMax, you're a typical illiterate forum type. You missed the point of having actual research and diagnostics, and ran head-long into name-calling using unintelligible grammar. Thanks for your contribution.
Dislikes: (3)
05blkmax5761 (01-16-2015), MAnNy07 (01-16-2015), sprocketser (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 04:37 PM   #24
Official Member

Official Member #: 7325

Reputation Level: 7
05blkmax5761 is an unknown quantity at this point

05BlkMax, you're a typical illiterate forum type. You missed the point of having actual research and diagnostics, and ran head-long into name-calling using unintelligible grammar. Thanks for your contribution.
Typical internet warrior tough guy. Talk your sh** behind your mom's computer screen in her basement. I treat people like you my *****your not tuff I can see rite thru you internet gangster. You make me laugh
05blkmax5761 is offline   Send a private message to 05blkmax5761 Find more posts by 05blkmax5761 Add 05blkmax5761 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #25
Reputable Member

Nazi grammar here , rarely see it in this forum , it s not a grammar forum . Some might have iPhones or stuff like that with auto fill &/or autocorrect features that can t do much about .

By the way , if you don t want any thread hijacking or whatsoever , don t post anymore mate in any forums.

You have to get over this .

You seem to have some great knowledge & research knowhow which can be usefull to you & the other members , but please calm down , we all have our bad day(s) but we try not to show in forums , which some times can be hard .

Last edited by sprocketser; 01-17-2015 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added stuff .
05blkmax5761 (01-17-2015), MAnNy07 (01-16-2015), Sammaxvq35 (01-17-2015)