Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:18 AM   Thread Starter #1
Team Street Wandererz
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2672

Reputation Level: 16
LucKie1nE will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Visit LucKie1nE's PS3 Profile Visit LucKie1nE's YouTube Visit LucKie1nE's Xbox Gamercard
Default Brake Rotors Rusting..

Okay, we all know that due to mother nature and the earth itself.. All brake rotors rust unless properly zinc plated.. Now, lets say you purchased aftermarket cross drilled/slotted brake rotors for your vehicle and it has been zinc plated.. We all now as time passes by, depending on how many coats of the zinc has been put on the rotors.. that it will eventually fade.. As it's happening on my rotors now..

I plan to remove and replace my brake pads and I have measured my brake rotors and it's still in the green.. I was thinking about taking my dye grinder and removing all the rust that is slightly building up on the hat..

My question, has anyone ever tried to zinc coat the hat of the brake rotor yourself instead of sending it out to a shop to have it zinc plated again..? They do sell zinc in a spray can and I was thinking that if I tape up everything on the brake rotor instead of the hat and applied a few coats of "zinc in a spray can" will the outcome be the same as "zinc plating..?" Has anyone ever tried this and what was the conclusion..?
LucKie1nE is offline   Send a private message to LucKie1nE Find more posts by LucKie1nE Add LucKie1nE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Default Re: Brake Rotors Rusting..

I dont see any real reason to do this , unless you all for show and dont want to see the hats being rusty.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
Donating Member

Official Member #: 964

Reputation Level: 25
mr. blue sky will become famous soon enoughmr. blue sky will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Banner of The Month  

i believe the main difference will be that the zinc plating involves a process where the molecules of the zinc oxide are electrostatically placed vs just hanging on the surface of the metal. The zinc spray can should be enough to last for a bit(not sure how well it does with heat).
Old 09-26-2011, 12:14 AM   Thread Starter #4
Team Street Wandererz

Visit LucKie1nE's PS3 Profile Visit LucKie1nE's YouTube Visit LucKie1nE's Xbox Gamercard

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
I dont see any real reason to do this , unless you all for show and dont want to see the hats being rusty.
Who wants to walk out to their car after a rainy day and look at your rims and behind that all you see is a big rust spot on your brake rotors.. Even if it is for show or not, it doesn't annoy you..?

Originally Posted by mr. blue sky View Post
i believe the main difference will be that the zinc plating involves a process where the molecules of the zinc oxide are electrostatically placed vs just hanging on the surface of the metal. The zinc spray can should be enough to last for a bit(not sure how well it does with heat).
Thanks for the info and I was thinking about the heat coming in to play also.. I might just do it and see how it turns out.. Trying to kill my boredom..
LucKie1nE is offline   Send a private message to LucKie1nE Find more posts by LucKie1nE Add LucKie1nE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

I just painted my rotors and calipers, no more rust, done.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by RAZ76; 09-26-2011 at 12:30 AM.
1hawaii50 (09-26-2011), MaxPrime (09-26-2011), SleeperMax (09-26-2011)
RAZ76 is offline   Send a private message to RAZ76 Find more posts by RAZ76 Add RAZ76 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2533

Reputation Level: 11
MaxPrime is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Thats what i am going to do paint mines black or get them black thats it no need to do anything else.
MaxPrime is offline   Send a private message to MaxPrime Find more posts by MaxPrime Add MaxPrime to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2011, 12:32 AM   Thread Starter #7
Team Street Wandererz

Originally Posted by Raz76 View Post
I had it painted red for about a year and even after 3 coats of paint, it started to chip.. Also swapping rims from stock to aftermarket, summer to winter, it takes some of the paint off when swapping rims and when I put my aftermarket rims on you can see where the stock rims pealed the paint on the hat.. That's why I fig I'd try to just zinc coat it..

Originally Posted by MaxPrime View Post
Thats what i am going to do paint mines black or get them black thats it no need to do anything else.
If you have stock rims or 1 set of rims you plan to ryde on all season, go for it bro but like I stated to Raz76.. Swapping from stock to aftermarket, the heat from the paint on the hat will stick onto your rims.. But hey if it works out for you..
Old 09-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by LucKie1nE View Post
Who wants to walk out to their car after a rainy day and look at your rims and behind that all you see is a big rust spot on your brake rotors.. Even if it is for show or not, it doesn't annoy you..?

Thanks for the info and I was thinking about the heat coming in to play also.. I might just do it and see how it turns out.. Trying to kill my boredom..
Sorry , My car stays in the garage, but im not into show as I am as go.

I focus on have cermanic pads for stopping power VS appearence
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Click the image to open in full size.
I painted my new rotors that I got with my Wilwood front brake kit. I did a couple coats of black, and then I even baked the rotors in my grill for 25 minutes to cure the paint. As soon as I torqued down the wheel the first time, the paint cracked...
Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
I painted my new rotors that I got with my Wilwood front brake kit. I did a couple coats of black, and then I even baked the rotors in my grill for 25 minutes to cure the paint. As soon as I torqued down the wheel the first time, the paint cracked...
Why would you bake them?? It's paint not powder coating. Did you use primer? Mine didn't crack, chip or paint come off where the wheel was, reason? I let the paint cure at least 24 hrs. A lot of people paint them and then wait a few hrs and re-install them, no bueno.

Last edited by RAZ76; 09-26-2011 at 07:18 AM.
RAZ76 is offline   Send a private message to RAZ76 Find more posts by RAZ76 Add RAZ76 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #11

Official Member #: 2288

Reputation Level: 0
ruiz2728 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Quick question: how would you guys go about painting the stock 18" alloy wheels? I've been wanting to do this but I don't know what is the best paint to use that wont peel or scratch off. Thanks in advance for the help
Old 09-26-2011, 01:15 PM   Thread Starter #12
Team Street Wandererz

Sorry , My car stays in the garage, but im not into show as I am as go.

I focus on have cermanic pads for stopping power VS appearence
Hey, to everyone their own style.. I wish my ryde was garaged.. Im all for stopping power also, I have brossed drilled/slotted rotors with hawk pads.. The rust on the rotos annoy the hell outta me though..

Why would you bake them?? It's paint not powder coating. Did you use primer? Mine didn't crack, chip or paint come off where the wheel was, reason? I let the paint cure at least 24 hrs. A lot of people paint them and then wait a few hrs and re-install them, no bueno.
I also painted my rotors but I didn;t bake them.. After I painted it, I let it cure for 36 hours because I already had my old set I was ryde'n on I was waitinf for the weekend to put them on.. The paint didn't crack on me, it was when I went to go take my TSW rims off that it took the paint of with it from where the rims made contact with the hat..

Originally Posted by ruiz2728 View Post
Quick question: how would you guys go about painting the stock 18" alloy wheels? I've been wanting to do this but I don't know what is the best paint to use that wont peel or scratch off. Thanks in advance for the help
Sorry bro, I've never painted rims myself before, although I did sent a sent out to be painted.. I know there are a few members that have done it.. Try using the search bar, hope this helps..
Old 09-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

I'm just saying , for you to get zinc coat and go thru all this just to cure rust , is a load of sh!t to go thru,

powdercoated them if your worried about them rusting.

or use the rustolum paint to cure it, rust is rust, esp you guys in the North with snow.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

The directions from DupliColor said that you could bake them to help cure the paint. It just didn't adhere to the rotor too well. The paint was so hard that as soon as I torqued down the wheel, it started to crack/chip. When I removed the wheel, it too all the paint under the wheel with it.

DupliColor makes a wheel paint specifically for painting wheels. That is probably your best bet, other than powdercoating.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Premier Member

Official Member #: 84

Reputation Level: 19
Maxifun is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Banner of The Month  

V.I.P Member  

I've been looking at my rotors lately and noticing the rust wondering what I was going to do... once again a thread is created to start the discussion before I even post about it...
Old 09-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Maxifun View Post
I've been looking at my rotors lately and noticing the rust wondering what I was going to do... once again a thread is created to start the discussion before I even post about it...
That's how we roll!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 PM   Thread Starter #17
Team Street Wandererz

I'm just saying , for you to get zinc coat and go thru all this just to cure rust , is a load of sh!t to go thru,

powdercoated them if your worried about them rusting.

or use the rustolum paint to cure it, rust is rust, esp you guys in the North with snow.
I do agree, its a shi*t load of work but I guess it'll be another excuse to have the guys over and knock down some brews and eventually not even get to it cause we're to drunk.. LoL.. I'll fig something out..

The directions from DupliColor said that you could bake them to help cure the paint. It just didn't adhere to the rotor too well. The paint was so hard that as soon as I torqued down the wheel, it started to crack/chip.

When I removed the wheel, it too all the paint under the wheel with it.
+1 ^

That's how we roll!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
The Bandit

Official Member #: 15

Reputation Level: 23
K-Ryder will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Visit K-Ryder's Facebook Visit K-Ryder's PS3 Profile Visit K-Ryder's YouTube

http://my350z.com/forum/body-interio...tock-rims.html

That should help you in your quest.
K-Ryder is offline   Send a private message to K-Ryder Find more posts by K-Ryder Add K-Ryder to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
Official Member
Donating Member

Official Member #: 141

Reputation Level: 17
PhantomMax is on a distinguished road

My Awards:

My Rotorpros don't rust. They look brand new everyday.

Sent from my Samsung Epic Galaxy S 4G
Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #20
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by PhantomMax View Post
My Rotorpros don't rust. They look brand new everyday.

They will, give them time. I'm finally starting to see some rust on my rotors that I got with my Wilwood kit...it getting surface rust on the area where the pad makes contact. The rust is quickly scrubbed off the first time I step on the brakes, but it is there.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #21
Official Member
Donating Member

My Awards:

They will, give them time. I'm finally starting to see some rust on my rotors that I got with my Wilwood kit...it getting surface rust on the area where the pad makes contact. The rust is quickly scrubbed off the first time I step on the brakes, but it is there.
How long you had them? Yes the rust does clear. When you drive off. For some reason the rust never returned. They sparkle like chrome when Im driving.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #22
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

If my car sits for half a day in damp weather, there will be rust speckles on the rotors on the area where the pads ride. The rest of the rotor still looks fine due to the zinc plating and the paint.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #23
Premier Member

Official Member #: 11

Reputation Level: 41
CleanMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutCleanMaxx has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

Visit CleanMaxx's Twitter Visit CleanMaxx's YouTube

If my car sits for half a day in damp weather, there will be rust speckles on the rotors on the area where the pads ride. The rest of the rotor still looks fine due to the zinc plating and the paint.
This is common with most rotors

Sent From My EVO 3D
Old 09-30-2011, 12:19 AM   Thread Starter #24
Team Street Wandererz

Originally Posted by PhantomMax View Post
How long you had them? Yes the rust does clear. When you drive off. For some reason the rust never returned. They sparkle like chrome when Im driving.

Is your ryde garaged..?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #25
Official Member
Donating Member

My Awards: