Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:03 PM   Thread Starter #1
Premier Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

Default Brake Pedal Goes To The Floor After Bleeding

My cuz got himself into a little predicament last night in my garage. He has a 2002 Trail Blazer and wanted to save himself a few bucks and change the brakes himself. Cool, i have the garage and the tools he needs but i could not be there to help him. Well while he was in the garage he seen the paint i used to paint the calipers on my maxima red. I suggested that he not remove the banjo bolt on the caliper when he replaced the pads or painted the calipers. Well he removed them anyway. He got everything painted and put back together. He bled the brakes in the wrong order starting with the front then the rear. He thought everything was good. Nice stiff brake peddle when the truck was not running and the brakes worked when he pulled out of the garage. BUT he got 40 feet up my driveway to the closed gate to find that he no longer has brakes. The parking brake did not do shit to slow him down as he rolled down the hill and smashed into the corner of my garage.

One of two things happened, either there is still alot of air in the brake lines or his fiancÚ bottomed out the brake peddle while bleeding and tore the diaphragm in the master cylinder. The question i have is, what is the process to determine if the master cylinder is bad and if air has made it all the way back to the master cylinder or ABS pump, how does one get the air out of those two systems? I read about doing a gravity bleed on the master cylinder and ABS pump but have never had to get that deep into bleeding a brake system. Any insight is appreciated. Ill be home later tonight to take another look at it and hopefully get it taken care of.

Click the image to open in full size.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Default Re: Brake Peddle Goes To The Floor After Bleeding

I would say just try to bleed them again. Its a pain in the ass and if not done correctly even more of a pain in the ass.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 12:24 AM   Thread Starter #3
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Default Re: Brake Pedal Goes To The Floor After Bleeding

I crawled up under there splint on my finger and all and seen that there were two bleeder valves. Dip shit was loosening the one for the brake line and not the caliper. Personally i had never seen two bleeder valves before. But if i had crawled up under there last night instead of pumping the peddle for him then i would have seen the bleeder valve located right on the caliper. But his truck would still be smashed. Luckily no one got hurt.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

He bleed them incorrectly, that's all. Make sure you remove the reservoir cap. Start in the rear right, then left, move to front right and finally left.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

If he ran the master cylinder dry then you are going to have to bench bleed it or you'll never get all of the air out of the system.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

That sucks, but that's just one area I won't have any part of on my car, bleeding the brakes, no thank you. I'll just call my friend who's a mechanic.

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Kontra-vers-E View Post
That sucks, but that's just one area I won't have any part of on my car, bleeding the brakes, no thank you. I'll just call my friend who's a mechanic.
Bleeding the brakes is one of the simplest things you can do. You just need one person to help and you have to make sure NOT to run the master cylinder dry...that's where you run into problems.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

Yeah, I believe you, but I don't have good luck with DIY type jobs. I'll change the brakes and rotors all day, but bleeding the fluids, that's something I'll have to watch someone do a few times before attempting on my own car.

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top