Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 AM   Thread Starter #1
Team Street Wandererz
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2672

Reputation Level: 15
LucKie1nE will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Visit LucKie1nE's PS3 Profile Visit LucKie1nE's YouTube Visit LucKie1nE's Xbox Gamercard
Default Brake Issue While Driving In Snow..

This question is for members who get the wonderful chance to drive in snow.. Has your ride ever felt like the brakes just give out on you especially when your sliding on snow..? I know it sounds like a dumb question and I get when stepping on the brake and the car slides when there is plenty of snow on the ground.. This is not the same concept though.. Some of you may be thinking, "well then, don't stomp on your brakes and you'll be fine..!!.." It happens when your slightly tapping the brake also.. You get a terrible grinding noise and the pedal goes straight to the floor.. It feels like someone just cut your brake lines on you..

I'm a full time mechanic and I know my brakes are perfectly fine with plenty of pad life left and my tire thread are only about 15-20% worn.. I know you're surpose to pump the brakes when your sliding, I also pump/jerk the e-brake.. I've had a 96 and a 00 Maxima prior to my 08 and it seems like it happens to all of my Maxima's.. Has anyone else gone through this problem..? If so, should this issue be addressed to Nissan..?
LucKie1nE is offline   Send a private message to LucKie1nE Find more posts by LucKie1nE Add LucKie1nE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 2630

Reputation Level: 8
Jonwall is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Brake Issue While Driving In Snow..

I havent really noticed this myself, i do feel the abs kicking in a lot though. It might be the way youre describing it that makes it sound different though.
Jonwall is offline   Send a private message to Jonwall Find more posts by Jonwall Add Jonwall to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #3

Official Member #: 578

Reputation Level: 0
po8pimp is an unknown quantity at this point

you should try bleeding your lines. You might have air in the lines. I know I did and the symptoms sound the same. Fixed the problem for me.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

remember the boiling point of the brake fluid is now -minus whatever temp it is , the pads arent heated enough for you to grab anything
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 PM   Thread Starter #5
Team Street Wandererz

Visit LucKie1nE's PS3 Profile Visit LucKie1nE's YouTube Visit LucKie1nE's Xbox Gamercard

This problem doesn't happen at all when it's not snowing or snow on the ground rather.. I noticed that it has to be enough snow on the ground to cover the entire roadway in order for this problem to happen.. Normal driving or even rain.. She brakes fine but as soon as snows involved and the tires doesn't grip, the brakes seems like sh*t.. It's a very scary situation to be in especially when your just trying to stop at an upcoming red light and your brakes doesn't seem to want to work and your just drifiting into the intersection.. So I guess no other members has had this issue huh..?
LucKie1nE is offline   Send a private message to LucKie1nE Find more posts by LucKie1nE Add LucKie1nE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Do what I did...move some place where there is no snow...

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
LucKie1nE (01-18-2012), S.V (01-18-2012)
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
DatDude Dara

Official Member #: 91

Reputation Level: 24
Blaxima06 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post
Do what I did...move some place where there is no snow...
That's why I moved to Texas, boo yah!!!

Click the image to open in full size.
Originally Posted by BLKMAGIC View Post
I only do stuff if I score lol
Originally Posted by chemax View Post
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH FINISHING FAST.
Blaxima06 is offline   Send a private message to Blaxima06 Find more posts by Blaxima06 Add Blaxima06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

EBC redstuff pads+EBC slotted and cross drilled rotors=scary braking when the pads are cold. They do not stop as consistently as if they were already warmed up or if it was warm period. Normally it doesn't take long for them to warm up, just one stop. But it takes friction to do that and with snow on the road you are not using the brakes that hard so it takes a couple of long stops or riding the brakes a little to warm them up.

What is your brake and tire setup?

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

another thing to take into consideration is the ABS sensors , if the snow is full of dirt and your going thru that , plus having no traction on the tires can throw off the abs sensors.

pads arent heating enough with the rotors to grab either.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Official my6thgen.org Weatherman

Official Member #: 47

Reputation Level: 12
packetattack is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Originally Posted by LucKie1nE View Post
This problem doesn't happen at all when it's not snowing or snow on the ground rather.. I noticed that it has to be enough snow on the ground to cover the entire roadway in order for this problem to happen.. Normal driving or even rain.. She brakes fine but as soon as snows involved and the tires doesn't grip, the brakes seems like sh*t.. It's a very scary situation to be in especially when your just trying to stop at an upcoming red light and your brakes doesn't seem to want to work and your just drifiting into the intersection.. So I guess no other members has had this issue huh..?
All summer and even some A/S tires lose a lot of their grip in temps below 30-40F. If you're getting this on snow sounds like you need a tire with a siped tread. Curious on your tire setup as well.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
Official Member

Official Member #: 2807

Reputation Level: 9
Zolemite is on a distinguished road

I noticed on my Altima and Maxima the ABS kicks in way too soon. I've had many cars and these are the worst in the snow. I hate ABS.
Zolemite is offline   Send a private message to Zolemite Find more posts by Zolemite Add Zolemite to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

I know you're surpose to pump the brakes when your sliding
This is not true with ABS. With ABS, you STOMP, STAY, STEER. Apply (stomp) the brake, stay on the brake and steer where you want to go. That's what I've been taught anyway. This is the first car I've owned with ABS, but haven't had any issues yet.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Zolemite View Post
I noticed on my Altima and Maxima the ABS kicks in way too soon. I've had many cars and these are the worst in the snow. I hate ABS.
Different vehicles have different threshold engagement points where the ECU will read the wheel sensor speed and engage the relevant valves/pump. You can mitigate this with winter tires. I never had a problem with my 4th gen, which were running Nokian WRs (16") in upstate Schenectady where I often drove quite a bit in post blizzard conditions. Maximas that are equipped with the appropriate tires do quite well in the snow from my experience, the engine over the front drive wheels provides additional weight for grip. From a 45 mph stop on Nokians on snow covered roads, I'd get no ABS and then bite with solid stop, no pump actuation going on. Higher speed stops on snow covered roads resulted in a "1 sec" ABS blip with slowdown, but not constant actuation as you and the OP are mentioning.

Last edited by packetattack; 01-19-2012 at 03:10 PM.
packetattack is offline   Send a private message to packetattack Find more posts by packetattack Add packetattack to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 AM   Thread Starter #14
Team Street Wandererz

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
EBC redstuff pads+EBC slotted and cross drilled rotors=scary braking when the pads are cold. They do not stop as consistently as if they were already warmed up or if it was warm period. Normally it doesn't take long for them to warm up, just one stop. But it takes friction to do that and with snow on the road you are not using the brakes that hard so it takes a couple of long stops or riding the brakes a little to warm them up.

What is your brake and tire setup?
My brake set up is Rotor Pros crossed drilled slotted rotors with hawk pads.. At the time I was still riding with my rims and to be honest I know the brand of tire is Falken tires but don't remember the series.. It's diff not an all season tire and I'm pretty sure its strictly a summer tire set up.. I was on the highway for at least 45 mins without braking and then it started to snow hard.. I was already slipping when I was taking the exit.. When I tried to stop at the stop sign after the exit, thats when I got the grinding noise and it just felt like someone cut my brake lines..

Originally Posted by officerfrasher View Post

This is not true with ABS. With ABS, you STOMP, STAY, STEER. Apply (stomp) the brake, stay on the brake and steer where you want to go. That's what I've been taught anyway. This is the first car I've owned with ABS, but haven't had any issues yet.
Idk bro but when I tried to stop at that stop sign.. It felt like I had no brakes at all nvm ABS.. I understand that everyone has their own style of driving.. I've always been taught to pump the brakes and try to make very minimal movement in the steering wheel and to never, ever yank the e-brake but to hold in the button and just pull up and down til you've gain control of your vehicle..

I just have no idea what this problem could be.. I understand that if your sliding on snow and step on the brakes, your brake pads should still make contact with your rotors when your applying the brakes.. It shouldn't make a grinding noise and the pedal shouldn't feel like you need to bleed the system..

Last edited by LucKie1nE; 01-25-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #15
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Summer tires in the snow is a big no. You can get away with it a little better on a smaller car like a neon i had previously. It also had a five speed and if i down shifted too early or let off the clutch too fast it would momentarily lock up the front wheels in snow. By the following winter i acquired a cheap set of fourteen inch wheels and put the cheapest all season tire i could find and it was a huge difference.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #16
Official Member

Official Member #: 2630

Reputation Level: 8
Jonwall is an unknown quantity at this point

Summer tires are horrible in winter, even all seasons arent all that excellent depending on how bad it is. if you have summer tires theyre just going to slip like crazy, since theres almost no resistance from the ground they will lock easily and then the abs kicks in a lot faster. If youre driving in winter conditions at all put some decent all seasons on, before you end up going through a stop sign or off a bend in to a ditch.
Jonwall is offline   Send a private message to Jonwall Find more posts by Jonwall Add Jonwall to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Official Member

Official Member #: 2807

Reputation Level: 9
Zolemite is on a distinguished road

I have brand new Continental Contiprocontact. These are good and manual shifting helps too
Zolemite is offline   Send a private message to Zolemite Find more posts by Zolemite Add Zolemite to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #18

My brake set up is Rotor Pros crossed drilled slotted rotors with hawk pads.. At the time I was still riding with my rims and to be honest I know the brand of tire is Falken tires but don't remember the series.. It's diff not an all season tire and I'm pretty sure its strictly a summer tire set up.. I was on the highway for at least 45 mins without braking and then it started to snow hard.. I was already slipping when I was taking the exit.. When I tried to stop at the stop sign after the exit, thats when I got the grinding noise and it just felt like someone cut my brake lines..
Yup, like I presumed correctly, your tires are at fault. Dedicated summer tires have practically zero traction in snow and their compounds are not made for temps below 40F. Therefore, if it was cold enough for it to snow, the compound in those tires were rock hard, which means you can lose traction easier even if it WASN'T snowing but the road was cold enough 32F and below.

Idk bro but when I tried to stop at that stop sign.. It felt like I had no brakes at all nvm ABS.. I understand that everyone has their own style of driving.. I've always been taught to pump the brakes and try to make very minimal movement in the steering wheel and to never, ever yank the e-brake but to hold in the button and just pull up and down til you've gain control of your vehicle..

I just have no idea what this problem could be.. I understand that if your sliding on snow and step on the brakes, your brake pads should still make contact with your rotors when your applying the brakes.. It shouldn't make a grinding noise and the pedal shouldn't feel like you need to bleed the system..
The problem is your tires as other posters have also correctly alluded to.

You don't pump ABS brakes, by doing that you are defeating their purpose, the valve/pump actuation you are feeling is the application and removal of brake force through the system through automated means. You cannot pump brakes 10 times per second, the way an ABS system can. The grinding noise is the ACTUATION of the ABS system functioning as designed.

The pads are still in contact with the rotor during ABS braking, they don't physically retract and reclamp, it's the modulation of braking power performed by the ECU through electromechanical means that results in the "grinding" sound.

Don't try to stop a car on an icy/snowy road with just an ebrake, the majority of your braking power is in the front, so now you'll be sliding with a locked rear and a loose front, which can result in a severe oversteer condition that can be hard to control if you don't know how to recover by countersteering and APPLYING power (not the brakes).