Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:25 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 14061

Reputation Level: 0
05vqMaxSL is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Bad Strut Mount or Bad Struts?

About 4 weeks ago, I lowered the front of my 05 SL with Tein S-Tech springs. Only replaced the springs, not the shocks and reused all of the OEM mounting hardware (strut mount, etc.).

A few days ago I noticed that I have a "popping" noise coming from the front of the car, going over speed bumps and little bumps in the road. All of my research on here has pointed to the strut mounts being bad, but I need some verification before I bite the bullet and order parts.

I had the springs installed at a tire shop on to the struts and then installed the assembly on the car myself. The left strut plate was not lined up correctly, so I had to turn the top hat with a wrench to align it properly. Not sure if this caused a problem or not.

I also notice that the turning of the car seems a bit "tougher" now, meaning that turning the wheel requires a bit more of force then before I was lowered. I've also noticed a bit of shutter in the car when breaking at high speeds now and I have NOT had an alignment done yet.

So, are these popping noises a bad strut mount? Bad struts? An alignment issue? What can I check for to determine the problem? Thanks.

Car looks great, but these popping sounds are driving me CRAZZYY!!!!!
05vqMaxSL is offline   Send a private message to 05vqMaxSL Find more posts by 05vqMaxSL Add 05vqMaxSL to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2014, 04:42 AM   #2
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Bad Strut Mount or Bad Struts?

Originally Posted by 05vqMaxSL View Post
About 4 weeks ago, I lowered the front of my 05 SL with Tein S-Tech springs. Only replaced the springs, not the shocks and reused all of the OEM mounting hardware (strut mount, etc.).

A few days ago I noticed that I have a "popping" noise coming from the front of the car, going over speed bumps and little bumps in the road. All of my research on here has pointed to the strut mounts being bad, but I need some verification before I bite the bullet and order parts.

I had the springs installed at a tire shop on to the struts and then installed the assembly on the car myself. The left strut plate was not lined up correctly, so I had to turn the top hat with a wrench to align it properly. Not sure if this caused a problem or not.

I also notice that the turning of the car seems a bit "tougher" now, meaning that turning the wheel requires a bit more of force then before I was lowered. I've also noticed a bit of shutter in the car when breaking at high speeds now and I have NOT had an alignment done yet.

So, are these popping noises a bad strut mount? Bad struts? An alignment issue? What can I check for to determine the problem? Thanks.

Car looks great, but these popping sounds are driving me CRAZZYY!!!!!
The mounts might be worn, but even if you change the struts or even the strut mounts, the popping noise will most likely stay and doesn't go away. The popping noise comes from the spring in its cradle, because the springs are much shorter than the originals, going over the bumps loosens them up for a fraction of a second and the pop into their place again, It's one of many problems with lowering maxima.
Have you started to get the infamous 25-40mph front end vibration yet?
KRod877 (05-28-2015)
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top

Tags
lowered, strut mount, struts

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes