Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1245

Reputation Level: 9
sonicview is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Automatic Brakes

Hi Guys,

I just got Nissan Maxima 2007 SL, i felt that whenever while driving if i release the gas pedal, then car automatically starts braking, in other words it don't roll smoothly, i used to have nissan altima and there i never had that thing. Is that normal, is it some safety feature or what? Do you guys feels the same thing, or something wrong with my car ?
Some how i feel it defiantly impact the mileage, I get 16 in city and 26 on highway.

"Thanks"
Rick
sonicview is offline   Send a private message to sonicview Find more posts by sonicview Add sonicview to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: Automatic Brakes

Have you check your pads and rotors? Warped rotors?

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
sonicview (11-17-2010)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

The car is engine braking. It will brake harder if you are going down hill, sometimes enough to make the rpm go up by a few hundred. Annoying as shit to me since i can get better fuel mileage without the use of the cruise control.

It really annoys the piss out of me in a parking lot or in traffic going under 25mph. Feels like a damn 5 speed in first gear sometimes. I noticed it during the test drive three years ago but it seems like it has gotten more prominent over time. A drain and refill did smooth it up quite a bit when coming to a stop but the small jerk is still there at 25mph. Drain/refill was done at 36k miles with 41k right now.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
sonicview (11-17-2010)
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 02:49 PM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

Hi Eddy and DAlastDon ,

Thanks for your reply. You both are right. Yesterday i was in Nissan and discussed the issue with them, they said it is common with the CVT. You release the gas pedal and car downshift, but it all depends on what speed you are in. And that is true because it happens some time and some time not, i have to figure out at what speed this happens often, but i feel this thing kills milage in the city drive (stop and go traffic).
They also mentioned that i need to resurface the rotor. Brake pads are new, but they said if i will not resurface it then it will wear out the pads uneven.
I did asked them to check the whole car, they told, i have to change the transmission fluid, p/s belt and compressor belt, so i asked them to do it.
In city i gets only 15miles/gallon on premium gas, and I am a good driver, follow all the rules to save the gas, so they said i may need fuel injector clean, i asked them to do it that too, i ended up with 550$ but i think that is OK, as it was a part of my regular maintenance.

Rick
sonicview is offline   Send a private message to sonicview Find more posts by sonicview Add sonicview to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #5

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by sonicview View Post
Hi Eddy and DAlastDon ,

Thanks for your reply. You both are right. Yesterday i was in Nissan and discussed the issue with them, they said it is common with the CVT. You release the gas pedal and car downshift, but it all depends on what speed you are in. And that is true because it happens some time and some time not, i have to figure out at what speed this happens often, but i feel this thing kills milage in the city drive (stop and go traffic).
They also mentioned that i need to resurface the rotor. Brake pads are new, but they said if i will not resurface it then it will wear out the pads uneven.
I did asked them to check the whole car, they told, i have to change the transmission fluid, p/s belt and compressor belt, so i asked them to do it.
In city i gets only 15miles/gallon on premium gas, and I am a good driver, follow all the rules to save the gas, so they said i may need fuel injector clean, i asked them to do it that too, i ended up with 550$ but i think that is OK, as it was a part of my regular maintenance.

Rick
How many miles are on this car? I know the dealers always try and make you do service that is not needed. Whenever you go in, no matter whats wrong, they alwasys try to get you. You had a long list of what they "say" you need. However if they did all those changes for around 550 seems pretty decent, however there is always something in my mind that says they are trying to rape me, LOL. As long as you have piece of mind is all that matters.

PS. to your original post, its normal CVT love, haha
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #6

Official Member #: 551

Reputation Level: 13
BkzNism06 is on a distinguished road

at least you get 16, i get 14 local wtf!
sorry to hijack your thread, but in the morning when i back out of my driveway everytime i brake it makes a huge squeaking noise. can anyone explain to me what might be wrong? is it the brakes itself?
BkzNism06 is offline   Send a private message to BkzNism06 Find more posts by BkzNism06 Add BkzNism06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

I've noticed with my 07, if I do all city driving, and all short distances, then my mileage sucks. On the highway it's great, and even in the city, if it's longer distances, then my mileage isn't too bad. Over short distances, I'll get between 13-15mpg.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Premier Member

Official Member #: 84

Reputation Level: 19
Maxifun is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Banner of The Month  

V.I.P Member  

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
I've noticed with my 07, if I do all city driving, and all short distances, then my mileage sucks. On the highway it's great, and even in the city, if it's longer distances, then my mileage isn't too bad. Over short distances, I'll get between 13-15mpg.
Yup, pretty much the same here.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:45 AM   Thread Starter #9
Official Member

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
How many miles are on this car? I know the dealers always try and make you do service that is not needed. Whenever you go in, no matter whats wrong, they alwasys try to get you. You had a long list of what they "say" you need. However if they did all those changes for around 550 seems pretty decent, however there is always something in my mind that says they are trying to rape me, LOL. As long as you have piece of mind is all that matters.

PS. to your original post, its normal CVT love, haha
I have 40K miles on my car, i felt that may be dealer is trying to rip me off, but anyway at least i don't need to worry about transmission fluid or belts for another 50K, so i said yes to go ahead and do that. Also my car still have power train warranty, and it never been to any nissan dealer in past, as per the carfax, so i though it is a good idea to have a record in there database, in case if i need to use there powertrain warranty in future, i hope not but hay always ready for worst and hope for best.
Yes, i agree after all, i want piece of mind that my car is all taken care of good.

Rick
Old 11-18-2010, 10:57 AM   Thread Starter #10
Official Member

Hi Maxifun, 1hawaii50, iiycez

I heard from the dealer that bad fuel injection can hurt mileage, he said they use BG product. I did read online at lot of places that BG44K is a really good product, just give a try, it is little expensive but one of the best and easy to use. I did order one on ebay. May be it will improve the mileage.

Rick
Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Never heard of that BG product. I'm going to look into that...

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Yes, i agree after all, i want piece of mind that my car is all taken care of good.

Rick
If you want piece of mind that your car is well taken care of, you'll end up doing it all yourself. I don't trust anybody else with my car! Thanks for the info on the fuel injection cleaner, I'm going to check into that.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Hi Guys,

I just got Nissan Maxima 2007 SL, i felt that whenever while driving if i release the gas pedal, then car automatically starts braking, in other words it don't roll smoothly, i used to have nissan altima and there i never had that thing. Is that normal, is it some safety feature or what? Do you guys feels the same thing, or something wrong with my car ?
Some how i feel it defiantly impact the mileage, I get 16 in city and 26 on highway.

"Thanks"
Rick
I have an 04' and noticed this "engine braking" when driving down hill on steep roads. To me it is very smooth, and I like it. Seems like it saves wear and tear on the brakes. I don't know what it does to the engine. I thought this is a normal function of this car. Is this correct?

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

All automatic transmissions engine brake to some extent. I just seems more noticeable to me in the maxima because of the cvt, especially at lower speeds.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by thundershott View Post
I have an 04' and noticed this "engine braking" when driving down hill on steep roads. To me it is very smooth, and I like it. Seems like it saves wear and tear on the brakes. I don't know what it does to the engine. I thought this is a normal function of this car. Is this correct?
Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
All automatic transmissions engine brake to some extent. I just seems more noticeable to me in the maxima because of the cvt, especially at lower speeds.
+1

The CVT seems to drag much more than any other auto-equipped car I've ever owned. Like DAlastDON said earlier, slow speed maneuvers feel like a 5 speed in first gear...lurch-city.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #16
Premier Member

Official Member #: 84

Reputation Level: 19
Maxifun is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Banner of The Month  

V.I.P Member  

Yeah which at times can make creeping up the highway in rush hr traffic more annoying than necessary.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:55 PM   Thread Starter #17
Official Member

Originally Posted by thundershott View Post
I think what i feel is because of CVT, automatic transmission should not behave like that and should roll smoothly.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #18
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

I think what i feel is because of CVT, automatic transmission should not behave like that and should roll smoothly.
An AT car will engine/trans brake too, it just isn't as severe as our CVT-equipped cars!