Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:35 PM   Thread Starter #1
Senior Moderator

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default ABS Actuating Under Normal Braking

OK, I just recently noticed this shortly after replacing my front brakes with the Wilwood kit. Under normal braking, I can feel the ABS kick in. It isn't every time, it is intermittent. I don't feel it through the steering wheel, but I can feel it in the pedal, and if it is quiet enough, I can hear it. As I apply the brakes and the car is coming to a stop, I'll feel the ABS vibration in the brake pedal, just briefly, then it goes away. There are no CEL, or ABS lights on.

I know there is a TSB on this, but the bulletin requires replacing the ABS sensor, along with the cap. Can I perform the TSB myself, just cleaning the hub and sensor, or is the replacement mandatory? I have an extended warranty, but I have a feeling the dealership isn't going to go anywhere near this under warranty because of the front Wilwoods. RockAuto has the rear ABS sensors for about $125 each.

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 10-13-2011 at 03:57 PM.
1hawaii50 is offline   Send a private message to 1hawaii50 Find more posts by 1hawaii50 Add 1hawaii50 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #2

Official Member #: 3127

Reputation Level: 14
ESTEP_33 will become famous soon enough

Visit ESTEP_33's PS3 Profile Visit ESTEP_33's YouTube
Default Re: ABS Actuating Under Normal Braking

I had this problem a couple of months ago, check your speed sensors behind the wheels, make sure they are all yhe way in the little slot they go in. I took mine to the dealer and they said maybe the rotors were warped so I bought rotors and brakes and the while time the speed sensor got knocked out of place when I slammed in brakes to avoida bad driver.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

I would go with the DIY cheaper latter and pull all 4 ABS sensors out, inspect if theres any metal shavings and clean them.

which ever wheel has the shavings , you'll need to inspect the hub/bearings.

on my5th gen, I had the bearings come apart slowly and it got caught up in the hub and damage the tip of the sensor, the bearing shavings slowly was breaking apart and cause the issue.

in your case since you just recently change the FRONTS , I would start there first, I was going to say Brake Bias but I haven't had an issue with my Z calipers so this rules that out.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 AM   Thread Starter #4
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
I would go with the DIY cheaper latter and pull all 4 ABS sensors out, inspect if theres any metal shavings and clean them.

which ever wheel has the shavings , you'll need to inspect the hub/bearings.

on my5th gen, I had the bearings come apart slowly and it got caught up in the hub and damage the tip of the sensor, the bearing shavings slowly was breaking apart and cause the issue.

in your case since you just recently change the FRONTS , I would start there first, I was going to say Brake Bias but I haven't had an issue with my Z calipers so this rules that out.
Alan,

Do the sensors come out pretty easily, or am I going to break it trying to get it out once it's unbolted? On my Taurus, and my buddy's GTi, I had to break them to get them out of the hub...they were "seized" into the hub...

Also, if I have it checked for codes, will it have anything stored since the ABS light isn't on? Just wondering if I can narrow down which sensor is the culprit...
Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #5

Official Member #: 984

Reputation Level: 12
firesice18 is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Have you checked out the TSB (NTB07-016b). It discusses an issue with the notch needing to be cut out of the knuckle in order to properly allow the mating surfaces of the bearing and hub assembly onto the knuckle face. It also says to replace the ABS sensor as EVERY time you touch one they recommend replacing it (Bullshit in my opinion). I recommend giving it a look...
firesice18 is offline   Send a private message to firesice18 Find more posts by firesice18 Add firesice18 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Don , I know Ive pull them out quite a few times on my6th gen very easy.

IIRC its a 12mm or 10mm bolt that holds them in, spray it down with some brake cleaner , you shouldnt have any issues unless the sensor BROKE or SEIZED up inside , which I normally see cars 15 years and older

as for Post #5 I never heard of this method before, but its a Nissan TSB so this also could be a solution Don.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2011, 03:58 PM   Thread Starter #7
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by firesice18 View Post
Have you checked out the TSB (NTB07-016b). It discusses an issue with the notch needing to be cut out of the knuckle in order to properly allow the mating surfaces of the bearing and hub assembly onto the knuckle face. It also says to replace the ABS sensor as EVERY time you touch one they recommend replacing it (Bullshit in my opinion). I recommend giving it a look...
Thanks for the info...I'm aware of the bulletin...I referenced it in the first post.

Don , I know Ive pull them out quite a few times on my6th gen very easy.

IIRC its a 12mm or 10mm bolt that holds them in, spray it down with some brake cleaner , you shouldnt have any issues unless the sensor BROKE or SEIZED up inside , which I normally see cars 15 years and older

as for Post #5 I never heard of this method before, but its a Nissan TSB so this also could be a solution Don.
Thanks Alan, hopefully I'll get to it before the weather turns to crap!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

good luck Don !

I keep forgetting your up North ( when you said hopefully before the weather turns crap ) as I was reading this , I was just outside my house sweating a storm and just came in sitting in front of a fan and A/C
Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 PM   Thread Starter #9
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

good luck Don !

I keep forgetting your up North ( when you said hopefully before the weather turns crap ) as I was reading this , I was just outside my house sweating a storm and just came in sitting in front of a fan and A/C
I'm hoping that it is just coincidence that it started after the caliper swap, and that it isn't related. If I need new sensors, I'm going to try my luck at the stealership since I'm still under warranty...I'm sure they won't honor it, but I'll have to at least check.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
I'm hoping that it is just coincidence that it started after the caliper swap, and that it isn't related. If I need new sensors, I'm going to try my luck at the stealership since I'm still under warranty...I'm sure they won't honor it, but I'll have to at least check.
well I know you don't want to hear this but if you end up going back to the stealership, it may be worth slapping your old calipers back on.

see if that fix the issue, if not then at least stealership can work on your brakes without them trying to run around the issue with wilwood(aftermarket) calipers ?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:20 AM   Thread Starter #11
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

well I know you don't want to hear this but if you end up going back to the stealership, it may be worth slapping your old calipers back on.

see if that fix the issue, if not then at least stealership can work on your brakes without them trying to run around the issue with wilwood(aftermarket) calipers ?
Too late Alan, the stockers were sold...
Old 10-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #12
Team Street Wandererz

Official Member #: 2672

Reputation Level: 15
LucKie1nE will become famous soon enough

Visit LucKie1nE's PS3 Profile Visit LucKie1nE's YouTube Visit LucKie1nE's Xbox Gamercard

Alan,

Do the sensors come out pretty easily, or am I going to break it trying to get it out once it's unbolted? On my Taurus, and my buddy's GTi, I had to break them to get them out of the hub...they were "seized" into the hub...

Also, if I have it checked for codes, will it have anything stored since the ABS light isn't on? Just wondering if I can narrow down which sensor is the culprit...
I usually hit speed sensors with a little bit of PB blaster and let it sit for about 5-10 mins before I start messing with it.. A little but of PB goes a long way.. Hope this helps and good luck..
LucKie1nE is offline   Send a private message to LucKie1nE Find more posts by LucKie1nE Add LucKie1nE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 PM   Thread Starter #13
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

I was at the stealership today to get my wife's tires balanced on her Altima, and I asked the service manager about the TSB for the Maxima rear ABS hub/sensors. He said that the front Wilwoods would not void the warranty for the rear sensors. He then told me that to perform the TSB, I would have to pay for the hub cleaning, as it is not a warranty issue, but if any of the ABS sensors need to be replaced, then they would cover it. I asked how much for the hub cleaning...wait for it...$400... SERIOUSLY!!??????

I know what I'll be doing next weekend....
Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #14
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

I was at the stealership today to get my wife's tires balanced on her Altima, and I asked the service manager about the TSB for the Maxima rear ABS hub/sensors. He said that the front Wilwoods would not void the warranty for the rear sensors. He then told me that to perform the TSB, I would have to pay for the hub cleaning, as it is not a warranty issue, but if any of the ABS sensors need to be replaced, then they would cover it. I asked how much for the hub cleaning...wait for it...$400... SERIOUSLY!!??????

I know what I'll be doing next weekend....
Does the $400 include the lube?
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #15

Official Member #: 3470

Reputation Level: 0
VQ35SE is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

OK, I just recently noticed this shortly after replacing my front brakes with the Wilwood kit. Under normal braking, I can feel the ABS kick in. It isn't every time, it is intermittent. I don't feel it through the steering wheel, but I can feel it in the pedal, and if it is quiet enough, I can hear it. As I apply the brakes and the car is coming to a stop, I'll feel the ABS vibration in the brake pedal, just briefly, then it goes away. There are no CEL, or ABS lights on.

I know there is a TSB on this, but the bulletin requires replacing the ABS sensor, along with the cap. Can I perform the TSB myself, just cleaning the hub and sensor, or is the replacement mandatory? I have an extended warranty, but I have a feeling the dealership isn't going to go anywhere near this under warranty because of the front Wilwoods. RockAuto has the rear ABS sensors for about $125 each.
Def DIY man , avoid the BS the dealer will give you . A bit of money outta pocket but save your self from getting pist off with the dealer .
VQ35SE is offline   Send a private message to VQ35SE Find more posts by VQ35SE Add VQ35SE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #16

Official Member #: 3470

Reputation Level: 0
VQ35SE is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Originally Posted by officerfrasher View Post

Dealer ship smokes A LOT OF GOOD STUFF !! They can have that
VQ35SE is offline   Send a private message to VQ35SE Find more posts by VQ35SE Add VQ35SE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #17
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by officerfrasher View Post

nah I think they straight raw dog him , no lube , just bend over and touch your toes and wait for penetration !
Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 AM   Thread Starter #18
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

I'm absolutely amazed at the fact that the dirty hubs are the cause of the problem. I was told when the salesman sold me the extended warranty that it was an extension of the bumper-bumper factory warranty....right! If the dirty hubs are causing an ABS problem, then how is cleaning the hubs NOT covered by warranty? So they will cover the sensor, but NOT the reason the sensor went bad?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
MR 809

Official Member #: 81

Reputation Level: 19
Kenji will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Banner of The Month  

Hawaii, i just went to the same problems, you will need a 12mm socket to get them out and since they are so easy to take out , you might as well do all 4 of them, i have my actuator replaced once and it just went bad again, lol
Kenji is offline   Send a private message to Kenji Find more posts by Kenji Add Kenji to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2011, 03:54 PM   Thread Starter #20
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by kenji View Post
Hawaii, i just went to the same problems, you will need a 12mm socket to get them out and since they are so easy to take out , you might as well do all 4 of them, i have my actuator replaced once and it just went bad again, lol
Kenji,

Did you do them yourself? You don't have to pull the hub off of the car, you can do it right on the car, right?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #21
MR 809

My Awards:
Banner of The Month  

Kenji,

Did you do them yourself? You don't have to pull the hub off of the car, you can do it right on the car, right?
yes, i did them myself with some guidance from nismo 101, you don't have to remove the hub to clean the sensors
Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 AM   Thread Starter #22
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by kenji View Post
yes, i did them myself with some guidance from nismo 101, you don't have to remove the hub to clean the sensors
Did you have to replace anything, or did you just clean and re-use the old parts? Also, did you drill a "weep" hole, or did you just cut a notch like the TSB says?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #23
MR 809

My Awards:
Banner of The Month  

Did you have to replace anything, or did you just clean and re-use the old parts? Also, did you drill a "weep" hole, or did you just cut a notch like the TSB says?
I just cleaned mine with some brake cleaner and that solved the problem, until my actuator failed
Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 AM   Thread Starter #24
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

It only gets better. After a 10 hour nightmare yesterday, I get everything cleaned and back together. This morning I go to run to the credit union, and the car won't go over 20mph. At 20mph, it loses power and sputters like crazy and the RPMS run up to about 3500rpm. The service manager told me this could happen if I didn't get the sensors/hubs cleaned. Other than towing it to the dealer, what's my next step? Do I replace both rear hubs? Both ABS sensors? I still don't have any ABS/BRAKE lights on... I've got an appointment Monday morning at the stealership, I'm going to have to have this towed up there hopefully tomorrow if I can't figure it out. Since I cleaned the hubs, I'm sure they are not going to cover ANYTHING under the warranty now...
Old 10-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #25
Premier Member

Official Member #: 11

Reputation Level: 41
CleanMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutCleanMaxx has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

Visit CleanMaxx's Twitter Visit CleanMaxx's YouTube

Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
abs

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes