Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:38 PM   Thread Starter #1
Premier Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Default 300zx/Brembo/Akebono Piston Size

Since a lot of you guys have been hoping up the "Upgrade" Caliper wagon,

I wanted you guys to know that while everyone is hot on the Akebono Calipers , I wanted to break down the the size of the piston on the calipers.

While the Akebono are bigger than the Brembo, the piston size are the same.

Here is a quick measurements from the web ( I have measure this but didn't get a chances to snap pictures )

300zx Sumitomo caliper piston size 40.40
http://www.sr20forum.com/1313633-post1.html

350z Brembo calipers piston 44mm /41mm
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=2ot53ru1j1mhvkse98gmp7r8q5

370z Akebono caliper piston 44mm / 41mm
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Also guys just because you upgrade your calipers doesn't mean that is going to stop your car , stopping power actually comes from the type of tires you are using, the brakes only slow it down.

I found an article that EVERYONE that's a novice SHOULD READ UP ON !! the article breaks down everything intellectual and digest it so that even the simplest newbie understands this topic.

instead of * having a cool factor * or upgrading brakes and spending unnecessarily money for no reason or spending money on thing that don't quite work in your favor.

as I was told , going fast means nothing without Handling and Braking.

And as well the Maxima in the end of the day is a sedan family car, the car you take your love ones around town, do not cut corners on *cheap * rotors and pads.

Ive always believe a good set of Ceramic Pads and set of Brembo BLANK rotors does the trick.

Good Read : read it or don't !
http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/brake-system-and-upgrade-selection
sprocketser (08-03-2015)
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: 300zx/Brembo/Akebono Piston Size

Got a set of old rebuilt 300ZX cal in stock , need the adaptors & ss bkake hoses , maybe one day !

Love to read those kind of things , thanx .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

Official Member #: 16528

Reputation Level: 6
Zillafreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
Also guys just because you upgrade your calipers doesn't mean that is going to stop your car , stopping power actually comes from the type of tires you are using, the brakes only slow it down.
I disagree with this. Actual stopping power comes from the calipers/rotors/pads. This is what actually stops the rotation of the wheels/tires. The wheels/tires are just the middle man between the road and pads. Best braking comes from a combo of the two.

If your brakes over power your tires, they will lock up and skid (happened many times on my sentra before I got better tires). If your tires over power the brakes, the brakes will start to overheat and fad (actually glazed a set of bakes over from this on my old maxima). I just put better rotors (slotted/drilled and better pads (ceramics) and it helped stopping power.

The best way to increase stopping is to decrease weight. F=MA. If the force is the same, less mass means greater acceleration.
Other ways to increase stopping power is to increase weight shift to the front. More force pushing down on the front, more traction the tires will have.
Also don't want the tires to bounce around or leaning to one side, good shocks and sway bars help this.

So in conclusion, stopping power doesn't just come from tires, it comes from the complete set up.

Last edited by Zillafreak; 08-05-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Zillafreak is offline   Send a private message to Zillafreak Find more posts by Zillafreak Add Zillafreak to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2015, 10:36 PM   Thread Starter #4
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Zillafreak View Post
I disagree with this. Actual stopping power comes from the calipers/rotors/pads. This is what actually stops the rotation of the wheels/tires. The wheels/tires are just the middle man between the road and pads. Best braking comes from a combo or the two.

If your brakes over power your tires, they will lock up and skid (happened many times on my sentra before I got better tires). If your tires over power the brakes, the brakes will start to overheat and fad (actually glazed a set of bakes over from this on my old maxima). I just put better rotors (slotted/drilled and better pads (ceramics) and it helped stopping power.

The best way to increase stopping is to decrease weight. F=MA. If the force is the same, less mass means greater acceleration.
Other ways to increase stopping power is to increase weight shift to the front. More force pushing down on the front, more traction the tires will have.
Also don't want the tires to bounce around or leaning to one side, good shocks and sway bars help this.

So in conclusion, stopping power doesn't just come from tires, it comes from the complete set up.
your missing the whole point , guys want to spend stupid money on BBK without actually knowing what makes a car stop, everyone wants to rav about the Akebono because they are bigger but yet has the same piston size as the older Brembo.

so you got guys buying things without knowing and thinking bigger brakes will stop my car , I am not saying JUST tires , but no one mentions tires when talking about stopping power.

so you can agree to disagree but brakes are just a portion of what stops a car.

when is the last time you read on a maxima./ my6th about brakes and no one mentions about , type of dot fluid , type of tires, brake bias ?

its always * i want akebonos, where to get brackets * they want overkill on a daily driven car.

a good set of ceramic pads and rotors is all daily drivers really need.

spirted drivers , sure z32 is a nice upgrade and budget

Brembos , even better if a good deal,

but I just sharing the piston size of the inside of the calipers. they arent any bigger than the brembo from the akebonos.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #5

Official Member #: 16528

Reputation Level: 6
Zillafreak is an unknown quantity at this point

There is more to a caliper setup than just piston size.
Pad size, rotor size, weight of caliper.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:47 PM   Thread Starter #6
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Zillafreak View Post
There is more to a caliper setup than just piston size.
Pad size, rotor size, weight of caliper.

i never said that isn't , this is a reference of a find in piston size that I discovery, while a piston size matters in clamping force , I would thought they would have gone a little bigger in piston size from the previous year of brembo.

in the end akebonos are bigger with pads that goes with a bigger rotor.

does that mean the average joe that daily drives his car should spend / splurge on $900 akebonos.

or a simple z32 calipers ./ brembo will do the same as what the akebono can do for a little less than akebono.

some people purchase brakes because its *new* thing or whats in. and don't take the time to address these other topics that come along with piecing a BBK.

i read most time people buying unknown rotors from ebay , and unknown pads because it was cheaper
Old 08-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Rotors , as anything else matters , their are lots of good quality products in there , ss brake lines also , but the thing about tires is very important also , very rarely stated everywhere . It was a good call .

Didn t know that the Akenebo calipers had the same piston diameter as the Brembos , a good thing to know .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
NiZMo1o1 (08-06-2015)
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2015, 12:51 AM   #8

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

Tires do play a major factor in stopping power.. Also does ones brakes, rotors, calipers & suspension setup as well.. Not for nothing my Nexen N7000 High Performence All Season Tires saved my life.. Was able to walk away from an what seems minor finder bender.. Yet do most ppl know that my brakes, rotors, calipers did their job but it was my tires that took the brunt of the stop..

Abused VQ
NiZMo1o1 (08-06-2015)
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top