Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:05 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 17279

Reputation Level: 0
Kaboominator is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Where to go from here, post mechanic visit...

First id like to say i am happy to find such an amazing resource here with this forum. So much information to tap into. I am a new Nissan owner. 2004 Maxima. I am getting quite nervous reading all this stuff about the cats and blowing engines and the dreaded transmissions problems that can arise.

My car drives fine now but i have the p1273 code. I had my car in to get the O2 sensors replaced on bank 1 but my mechanic said he needs to remove manifold to change the sensors because they are rusted in good and hes scared about stripping threads. That sucks.

After reading the stuff on here about the precats and them blowing out and ruining the engine, now im scared. These are my symptoms:

exhaust leak sound right at manifold with rattle at initial acceleration. I thought it was just a loose heat shield but reading some of these other posts i am worried it may be the cats and i do not want to ruin the engine(obviously).

Where should i go from here? How can i know if my cats are going bad and take preventative action? Should i be worried about driving with the p1273 code and not getting o2 sensors replaced? Should the manifold need to be removed to replace them?

Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated. I love my car but i am quite scared going forward as it only has 125,000 kms on it. please, any advice is welcome. Thank you. I look forward to being a member of this board.
Kaboominator is offline   Send a private message to Kaboominator Find more posts by Kaboominator Add Kaboominator to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2015, 11:33 PM   #2

Official Member #: 16528

Reputation Level: 6
Zillafreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Where to go from here, post mechanic visit...

O2 sensor might just mean running rich. Moniter mpg. When it gets shit, then replace.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:34 AM   Thread Starter #3

Thanks for the advice. I will take it. Comp says i am at 21 mpg right now. I will use fill up and mileage to calc manually and keep an eye on it. thank you.
Kaboominator is offline   Send a private message to Kaboominator Find more posts by Kaboominator Add Kaboominator to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 15981

Reputation Level: 5
Travieso is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, nice congrats on your maxi. Welcome to the fam. i got mine just about a year now. love it. Check oil level, make sure its topped up. I found the best way to check with this "unique" dipstick is to pull it out when the car hasn't been running in alittle while. That's only time i get a reliable reading.
O2 swap would probably fix the issue. not sure if the cats are dying already with low kms. I have nearly 240k on mine and no issues. I highly doubt it has been changed, they look old. i have read about the pre cats dying as well. That should give you another code if it is. The labour to replace the sensor, i would just get a second opinion before removing the manifold, you would want to avoid it as much as possible.
Travieso is offline   Send a private message to Travieso Find more posts by Travieso Add Travieso to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #5

You don't need to remove the intake manifold to remove the rear o2 sensor. It helps, don't you don't need to.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:02 PM   Thread Starter #6

Ok. I kind of thought that was a bit excessive. I just think he doesnt want to do it. super busy with tire season. i see taking off hood and plastic cowling by window might be an option.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

No need to remove hood, but that is easy and will make the job easier, but the plastic piece and metal piece under it have to be removed. To do this, need to remove wipers. All this is simple.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:23 AM   #8

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

Its up to you how to go about the fix with this info.. That p1273 is either the O2 sensor or Precat itself.. If O2 sensor is replaced with no change in engine or code remains then it's the precat for sure..

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top