Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:26 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 18355

Reputation Level: 0
RZskier is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Rocker Cover gasket (Rant)

2 weeks ago, I changed plugs and #4 Coil (was throwing error code). After reviewing the great info on this forum, I decided to try it myself and tackled the intimidating job of removing the Intake manifold. After quite a few hours, many skinned up knuckles (damn tight against the firewall) and quite a bit of cussing, I'm proud to say I accomplished it and learned something.
Little did I realize how soon I'd have to use that knowledge! Last week, I was informed by my mechanic, that I had a valve cover gasket leaking (190,000 miles, never changed). OK.. save >$300 labor, here goes the intake manifold again. Another Saturday but finally got it done. Time for a beer and watch it idle for awhile. But NOOOO... oil spewing from the rear gasket! Off the intake comes again. Apparently, I snagged the gasket when trying to replace the rear rocker cover and made a small tear. Second (or is this the third) time is the charm. Seems to have worked this time, but boy, that $300 labor charge quoted by the mechanic seems like a bargain now!

Question... any suggestion on how to make replacement of front cover easier? I couldn't get the wiring harness loose enough to create slack needed to have good access. Struggled and got it done, but it should be much easier.
RZskier is offline   Send a private message to RZskier Find more posts by RZskier Add RZskier to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 15981

Reputation Level: 5
Travieso is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Rocker Cover gasket (Rant)

not that easy to do, but with enough slack on the wires, it's doable

Click the image to open in full size.
Travieso is offline   Send a private message to Travieso Find more posts by Travieso Add Travieso to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

Just take your time.... Im amazed your front vcg lasted so long. Good job bro.
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 PM   Thread Starter #4

Official Member #: 18355

Reputation Level: 0
RZskier is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the encouragement. Next project.... inner & outer tie rod ends...Woot..Woot! Damn Youtube makes it look so easy and will be the death of me. Only good thing is it always is an excuse to buy a new tool.
RZskier is offline   Send a private message to RZskier Find more posts by RZskier Add RZskier to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top