Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM   Thread Starter #1
Premier Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 265

Reputation Level: 21
H4X1MA will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Random Exhaust Noise [Added sound clips]

Parts I have:
- Cattman Y pipe with higihflow (1 year)
- Cattman Headers (1 year)
- Greddy SE (2 years)
- Magiflow Resonator (6 months)

Ok, so:

- I start the car and all sounds fine.
- Rev it in place, all sounds fine.
- Drive down the road awhile, sounds like I have an exhaust leak near the resonator.
- Park it, sounds like I have a leak near the resonator.
- After having it parked, and off, for ~10 mins, the sound goes away.
- Have had it on a lift twice. While on the lift it never makes the "hole" noise. Checked both times, at different places, and there are no leaks.

WTF could this be, it is really starting to piss me off.

Last edited by H4X1MA; 02-09-2012 at 02:29 PM.
H4X1MA is offline   Send a private message to H4X1MA Find more posts by H4X1MA Add H4X1MA to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Default Re: Random Exhaust Noise

Maybe you hit a raccoon???

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 PM   Thread Starter #3
Premier Member

Nobody? I don't think it's a racoon
Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

Exactly what type of noise is it making? Does it feel like you're loosing pressure?

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 PM   Thread Starter #5
Premier Member

Hard to explain, but I'm sure you have heard like a 4 banger with a hole in the muffler. It's not loud like a huge hole would be, but definatelly sounds like air escaping. Sometimes it almost sounds like a heat shield rattle as well. The first time we lifted her we did find a small hole at the exhaust split, that has been patched, and located behind the area that is making noise.

I forgot to mention that I also have an O2 sensor installed. The noise actually started a few weeks after the sensor was put in. I had the shop inspect that area, thinking the weld was bad, but we didn't find anything.

As for the pressure, not sure. My car seems to have a mind of it's own, some days she's a rocket, some days she's a Plymoth Horizon. I'm sure that it has something to do with this issue.

I'm narrowing it down to 1 of 3 things.
1) There is a hole in the top of the axhaust somewhere that we are not seeing.
2) The guts from the high flow cat blew out. Not sure why this would make a noise that sounded like air escaping, but it could explain why it only happens now and then.
3) The guts from the resonator blew out. This part is only 6 months old, and again I don't see why it would make an air escaping noise, but the sound is coming from that area.

I'm going to see if my brother cant lift it and pull from the header back off for a good inspection.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM   Thread Starter #6
Premier Member

Sound Clips. It's hard to hear in the parked vid, but you can definitally hear an oddity when in high revs moving.

IMG_1012.mp4 video by Meangunz2 - Photobucket

IMG_1013.mp4 video by Meangunz2 - Photobucket

IMG_1014.mp4 video by Meangunz2 - Photobucket
Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 34
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Good guess on the cat, they don't last that long. maybe it busted loose and part of it got jammed. Pull apart inspection sounds like a good plan.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

To test for leaks you need to do a smoke test while the car up. Use a cigarette if you smoke, if there's a leak, you'll know it. Maybe the sensor is loose, have you checked that? Maybe it came unscrewed or something.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:50 PM   Thread Starter #9
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RAZ76 View Post
To test for leaks you need to do a smoke test while the car up. Use a cigarette if you smoke, if there's a leak, you'll know it. Maybe the sensor is loose, have you checked that? Maybe it came unscrewed or something.
Actually I haven't Checked that. Hopefully I can get it on a lift this weekend.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Official Member

Official Member #: 71

Reputation Level: 10
Maximusberg is an unknown quantity at this point

its coming from the y-pipe im pretty sure, i had a similar issue and i found it in the flex peice of the y-pipe....check there
Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 34
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Originally Posted by Maximusberg View Post
its coming from the y-pipe im pretty sure, i had a similar issue and i found it in the flex peice of the y-pipe....check there
So what do you do? Replace the flex piece?

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Official Member

correct, i had it cut out and a new section welded in.... since i bought my ypipe used off a member. he had the car lower and bottom out once . the orig pipe had a small tear in the flex pipe. i drove around like that for a bit until i notice the whole getting larger......2 years later and the summer that just passed i installed the exhaust system and had my buddy re do that flex pipe....fixed everything
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 PM   Thread Starter #13
Premier Member

correct, i had it cut out and a new section welded in.... since i bought my ypipe used off a member. he had the car lower and bottom out once . the orig pipe had a small tear in the flex pipe. i drove around like that for a bit until i notice the whole getting larger......2 years later and the summer that just passed i installed the exhaust system and had my buddy re do that flex pipe....fixed everything
Do you happen to have a pic? I know that the flex is "freyed" from bottoming out, but I didn't see air escaping. Maybe at high revs is jerks it enough to open it up.

how much was the fix?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
Official Member

it was lik 50-60 bucks including labor......ill have to see if i got them pic on this lap top.. its a rather new computer so i dont remeber if i transfered pics over
Old 02-15-2012, 07:29 PM   Thread Starter #15
Premier Member

it was lik 50-60 bucks including labor......ill have to see if i got them pic on this lap top.. its a rather new computer so i dont remeber if i transfered pics over
I got a local quote today to replace a flex, parts + labor, @ ~$400 bucks (lol at them). Called Brian up, looking to see what flex he used, and explained what was going on and he told me there should be no reason for me to even think about aying over $100 for everything. The shop was going to charge me $90 for just the flex pipe.

When I find someone who will actually do it, i am going to swap my aftermarket for the Stock Y pipe to make sure the noise goes away. If it does then I'll bring the pipe, and another flex, to a machine shop to have it fixed. Screw these mechanics around here.

For the record, every shop that has worked on my car, besides my local Nissan dealer, has either fucked something up, or raped me on price.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
Official Member

yea thats life.... there aint too many good people that will do the job right , let alone cheap... thank god i got my father.... mechanic of 36 years..... hes got my back....
Old 02-23-2012, 02:03 PM   Thread Starter #17
Premier Member

Ok so new route. I went today to swap my ypipe for factory until I could get the y-pipe fixed. After some investigating we noticed that the resonator (magniflow) that I bought last summer has a crack on the factory weld all the way around the pipe. Since engine torque would likely shift the exhaust, it makes sense that it only only make noise from time to time (that and heat expansion).

We also noticed that the clips that were holding my O2 plugs in place were just dangling there, but holding the clips against the heat plate. Vibration of the clip against the heat plate is likely the metal noise I am hearing. I had the O2's zipped back into place better and it seemed to quiet it down. there's still something rattling in there though.

have to get ahold of a friend to get the exhaust welded. I'm done with the fin shops around here, and my Nissan dealer doesn't have a welder.