Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:38 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Precat Removal and installation

Hi Guys,
I'm making this thread, asking for guys' who have the experience of removing and replacing precats on our cars, to chime in and share their knowledge with others, because, sooner or later, some one in this forum would have to go through the installation.

My question is that, what things should be removed so that the removal of the precats become smoother job, especially the rear(firewall) cat. Should I remove the cowl and the windshield wiper mechanism? Which side should I start with, where to start and where to end the? What else should be loosened or dismantled to gain access to the damn precat? Thank you guys in advance for sharing your experiences
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2015, 09:35 PM   Thread Starter #2
Official Member

Default Re: Precat Removal and installation

Alrighty, I decided to find a mechanic and have him change the precats for me, Since I live in department buildings, I am really bounded by how much I can dig into my car and dismantle it. So, the other day I went collecting some quotes on the New year's eve and I had quotes like 380 bucks for installing the racingline precats, "No, your cats are not CARB approved" and I almost gave up on the task...until the last mechanic gave me a quote of 120 bucks for changing both, and I asked him "Are you sure?" and he replied yeah, it shouldn't take long I can finish it up by the end of the day, So I for it. 6 hours later poor guy called me and the first thing he said was "Hell man, it was so f%$&^ difficult to do it, but I finished it come pick it up. I went there asked him to put the car on the jack and took a look at it, and to my surprise he did a very awesome job installing them....For the least I was expecting to hear some exhaust leaks...but nothing ,he installed them perfectly. Then I asked him, now that you went through hell to change them, how much do I owe you? 120 he said... I couldn't live with myself paying him 120, so I just put some more on it and head back home. The day after, I inspected my own cats and what caught me by surprise was that on the back precat(which I got the code p0420 for) it was intact, but it was showing some signs of degrading and breaking off, the real surprise was that the whole substrate of the cat shifted inside the shell of the pre cat for almost an inch maybe even more...I don't know why, but in my mind, that could be a sign of a clogged cat pushed back by the exhaust gas down in its housing...

Any ways, I drove the car and so far it's pretty good, I haven't really pushed the car yet, I'm trying to prime the cats for now, So I have no idea if it has regained its horses back or not. but for now, My check engine is gone. and oh yea, I changed both of the downstream O2s with the NTK sensors from amazon..pretty good deal.

Click the image to open in full size.
So the yellow arrow is showing how much the substrate shifted in the housing)
Click the image to open in full size.
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2015, 03:42 AM   #3

Official Member #: 8388

Reputation Level: 7
shredda is an unknown quantity at this point

Good write up. I have the racingline cats with the ypipe/ebay catback and magnaflow mufflers, and I love the set up.

Are you running just the cats? Or do you also have the ypipe?
shredda is offline   Send a private message to shredda Find more posts by shredda Add shredda to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #4

Official Member #: 15467

Reputation Level: 0
kroozin is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow those cats look restrictive
kroozin is offline   Send a private message to kroozin Find more posts by kroozin Add kroozin to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2015, 10:25 PM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

Originally Posted by shredda View Post
Good write up. I have the racingline cats with the ypipe/ebay catback and magnaflow mufflers, and I love the set up.

Are you running just the cats? Or do you also have the ypipe?

Nope...only the precats...everything else is stock. btw I noticed a slight louder exhaust note, has anyone felt that too, with the HFPCs? The tone got a little bit deeper at the tailpipes.

Yup Kroozin, the stock cats' substrates are pretty dense at least twice dense as the Racinglines' precats.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:53 AM   #6

Official Member #: 8388

Reputation Level: 7
shredda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emilbadal View Post
Nope...only the precats...everything else is stock. btw I noticed a slight louder exhaust note, has anyone felt that too, with the HFPCs? The tone got a little bit deeper at the tailpipes.

Yup Kroozin, the stock cats' substrates are pretty dense at least twice dense as the Racinglines' precats.

The stock cats feel like boat anchors compared to the Racingline cats. Major weight reduction. Get the ypipe and your car will really open up!
shredda is offline   Send a private message to shredda Find more posts by shredda Add shredda to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top