Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 7276

Reputation Level: 7
Grenadian is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Visit Grenadian's PS3 Profile Visit Grenadian's YouTube Visit Grenadian's Xbox Gamercard
Default P0420 How To Fix

Hey guys, max got the p0420 code. I have been reading on about it and didn't want to make a new thread because i feel like i might get flamed because there are already so many threads.

My question is can we just get an exhaust shop to weld in a straight pipe and get rid of the cats all together? What would need to be done to stop it from throwing the code then? What is the average price to get a shop to weld in a pipe? Could an o2 simulator be used after a shop welds a pipe in to get the cel off?

What are some good cheap options to get rid of the code and the cats other than replacing the cats since i believe they are quite expensive.

Thanks for any help guys.

Edit: Seems i was thinking more y pipe area. The pre cats look like an exhaust manifold from what i see on the racingline website. Or is it the piece that connects to the piece that looks like a manifold? Any help guys?

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Grenadian; 09-27-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Grenadian is offline   Send a private message to Grenadian Find more posts by Grenadian Add Grenadian to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 8487

Steezmuffin686 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: P0420 How To Fix

Originally Posted by Grenadian View Post
Hey guys, max got the p0420 code. I have been reading on about it and didn't want to make a new thread because i feel like i might get flamed because there are already so many threads.

My question is can we just get an exhaust shop to weld in a straight pipe and get rid of the cats all together? What would need to be done to stop it from throwing the code then? What is the average price to get a shop to weld in a pipe? Could an o2 simulator be used after a shop welds a pipe in to get the cel off?

What are some good cheap options to get rid of the code and the cats other than replacing the cats since i believe they are quite expensive.

Thanks for any help guys.

Edit: Seems i was thinking more y pipe area. The pre cats look like an exhaust manifold from what i see on the racingline website. Or is it the piece that connects to the piece that looks like a manifold? Any help guys?
where do i begin...well. for 1 the cat code is definately (basically) going to stay on unless you get replacement converters ( 2 at least the pre y pipe ones, we have 3). the y pipe one isnt needed so you can get a pipe welded on there in place of the converter if it made you feel better...now. The 2 cats off the exhaust ( piece that connects to the piece) manifold can be replaced with headers but good luck getting that cel to dissappear. cheap fixes...there aernt any that iv found thru-out my searching....so unfortunately i dont have much to tell you otherwise do it right, spend the money and cheap fixes (i'm a line tech at toyota i'v seen shit) usually dont turnout so well.

In summary i dont believe theres such a fix that you can go here thats cheap, so i guess..empty dem wallets if you want that light off. lol. ....hope my $.02 helps one way or the other Grenadian.

ne 1 else have any info to add that i didnt touch on / know?
| 04 SE 6mt | ralco rz sts | shifter hacked 4" | no name cai | ebay catback | Racingline FSTB | Progress RSB | RoadMagnet springs (winter) | BC BR coilovers (summer) | SPC rear camber arms | 5% tint&banner | Hardwired passport 9500 | kicker 10DCVR12's | pioneer avh 280bt 6.2" | Hyfonics Brutus 1600w amp | Sherwood Carbon Fiber dash kit | OBX headers | G-coupe 18's | 5&20mm spacers | junction produce goodies |...more to come
Steezmuffin686 is offline   Send a private message to Steezmuffin686 Find more posts by Steezmuffin686 Add Steezmuffin686 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 7276

Grenadian is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit Grenadian's PS3 Profile Visit Grenadian's YouTube Visit Grenadian's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: P0420 How To Fix

Originally Posted by Steezmuffin686 View Post
where do i begin...well. for 1 the cat code is definately (basically) going to stay on unless you get replacement converters ( 2 at least the pre y pipe ones, we have 3). the y pipe one isnt needed so you can get a pipe welded on there in place of the converter if it made you feel better...now. The 2 cats off the exhaust ( piece that connects to the piece) manifold can be replaced with headers but good luck getting that cel to dissappear. cheap fixes...there aernt any that iv found thru-out my searching....so unfortunately i dont have much to tell you otherwise do it right, spend the money and cheap fixes (i'm a line tech at toyota i'v seen shit) usually dont turnout so well.

In summary i dont believe theres such a fix that you can go here thats cheap, so i guess..empty dem wallets if you want that light off. lol. ....hope my $.02 helps one way or the other Grenadian.

ne 1 else have any info to add that i didnt touch on / know?
Thanks for the info. Its my dads car so i have an account on here to learn for myself and to help him. We looked at the racingline pre cats, but some people say they only last 2yrs? Or was that an earlier batch? Any comments?

Thanks for the help.

Click the image to open in full size.
Grenadian is offline   Send a private message to Grenadian Find more posts by Grenadian Add Grenadian to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top