Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 4832

Reputation Level: 8
adzmccauley is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
Default P0420 Code On And Off Crazy

I need advice,, last year i was getting this code,, it would come on and go away,,,, come on and go away again ,, it hasnt popped up for about 5 months ,, but it came back on again last week,, when i got the code read the guy cleared it without asking me ,, so it is off again,, im not sure what to do here,,, please anyone help me with this dilemma ,,, thanks family

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

and im at about 140,000 KMS
adzmccauley is offline   Send a private message to adzmccauley Find more posts by adzmccauley Add adzmccauley to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: P0420 Code On And Off Crazy

Originally Posted by adzmccauley View Post
I need advice,, last year i was getting this code,, it would come on and go away,,,, come on and go away again ,, it hasnt popped up for about 5 months ,, but it came back on again last week,, when i got the code read the guy cleared it without asking me ,, so it is off again,, im not sure what to do here,,, please anyone help me with this dilemma ,,, thanks family

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

and im at about 140,000 KMS
You need to have someone scan that post cat sensor. If the sensor is not putting voltages within specs as per FSM it could be one or two things.
1. Cat
2. Sensor
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 6390

Reputation Level: 7
Mike2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: P0420 Code On And Off Crazy

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
You need to have someone scan that post cat sensor. If the sensor is not putting voltages within specs as per FSM it could be one or two things.
1. Cat
2. Sensor
I have the same issue. By scan do you mean with an engine code scanner or something more high tech? I'd rather spend $100 to buy a decent scanner than $110 for the hour of labor they would charge to scan it. But it is what it is. last thing I want is a crumbling cat.

P.S. My gas mpg has dropped to about 16 mpg. That's in the last couple months. Was 19-20. I know its still crap but I drove a newer maxima and it was still 19-20. Its how I drive

Sometimes you just have to go faster than the other guy
Mike2005 is offline   Send a private message to Mike2005 Find more posts by Mike2005 Add Mike2005 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top