Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 834

Reputation Level: 0
04 maxima seR is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Need Help With ebay SE-R Headers

Whats up fam?i just got some se r headers.i have a 2004 maxima 5at.im wondering what way to go about installing these headers.my main concerns are egr problems and o2 sensor problems.im aware of the clearance issue with the starter.also how can avoid the cel.thanks in advance.
04 maxima seR is offline   Send a private message to 04 maxima seR Find more posts by 04 maxima seR Add 04 maxima seR to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: need help with ebay se r headers

Originally Posted by 04 maxima seR View Post
Whats up fam?i just got some se r headers.i have a 2004 maxima 5at.im wondering what way to go about installing these headers.my main concerns are egr problems and o2 sensor problems.im aware of the clearance issue with the starter.also how can avoid the cel.thanks in advance.
Hey,

I retained my egr and made it fully functional by fabbing and welding a tube to the middle manifold tube. No CEL there. As far as O2 sensors....I can not comment on the 5AT as there hasnt been anyone succesful with this mod that I know of...(Perhaps not fully commited to the cause).....how commited are you to get rid of the CEL your going to encounter...Im certain you will encounter...it just depends what codes you will throw....
The 6MT guys are having more success beating the Cel's then the 5AT guys and I think it might be due to the ECM programing being more flexible on the 6MT because they rev a shit load higher and more often....

If you get someone in your area with Consult, then you can reprogram the ECM & TCM to not trigger Cel's in specific ranges....If you dont have access to Consult then the dealer it will be....

Look into:
NTB04-027a
NTB04-028a

also there is the TSB That applies to 6MT that ECM excuses the A/F sensors from triggering even though they will be within their range of 1.3-1.6Volts yet they will throw codes... The dealer extends the ECM range through Consult. This is what nissan has advised dealers to do instead of claiming Emission Warranty issues.....which is far more expensive...
NTB04-025

Hope this helps.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
Latinmaxima (04-27-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 PM   Thread Starter #3

Default Re: need help with ebay se r headers

Is it possible for you to post a pic of how you did the egr please?
04 maxima seR is offline   Send a private message to 04 maxima seR Find more posts by 04 maxima seR Add 04 maxima seR to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Default Re: Need Help With ebay SE-R Headers

When I installed the SE-R headers at the time I was 5AT , I used the STOCK o2 sensors but they are bit stretch with no slack.

no CEL or EGR (deleted ) no codes ( install was in 2006 )
Latinmaxima (04-27-2012)
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

I will post a pic just give me some time. I have to remove the cowl first in order to give you a clear shot.

Its rather simple though. What I've done was welded the egr tube to the middle tube. (cylinder #3)

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are going to place the A/F (front sensors) in the bungs that are fabbed onto the ebay headers you will be running rich as sh*t...because the ECM will get fuel readings of single cylinders on each bank and the Maf will still calculate normal air volume injested....the ECM will want to compensate for the lean readings by flooding the motor with fuel...
this is all fine and dandy if you don't care about emissions and will not have a cat, (as all that fuel will put an end to your cats career sooner then later.....but if emissions standards are something you need to adhere to then you need to move the primary sensors lower on each bank...so that they get a combined bank readings.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 04-26-2012 at 09:02 PM.
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 PM   Thread Starter #6

@ Alan,so you have done the egr delete?what did you use?also my car is running a little hot for some strange reason.im doing timing chains next weekend and plan on doing the headers shortly after.

@ Danski,thanks for all the advice.im a noob in the modding area.(mechanical mainly).how far down would i need to go on the headers to mount the af sensors?also im in Cali and emissions are strict but oh well.lol.i have hook ups.i really dont want to go with the hfpc either due to problems ive heard about.my main worry is getting these done right and trying to avoid as many cel's as possible,if possible.

I really appreciate all the input guys.hope to get this done soon with your help.
BurntOrangeAppeal (04-27-2012), Latinmaxima (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

yea I delete the pipe / from both ends up to the manifold, the sensor /plug is still connected but it is tie wrap away from everything , I have been running this for awhile ,

I live in FL so most of the emission crap is gone off my car.

Danski is also corrected about the A/F sensors ,they do run rich which some people run foulers but that does not always do the trick.
BurntOrangeAppeal (04-27-2012)
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top