Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2055

Reputation Level: 9
gangledupjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Help!!! Racingline HFPC Issues

Ok, so my max is bleeding me dry lately. First the timing chain issue, the air solenoid thing, and then the precats went out. Got the Racingline HFPC's to save some money and gain some horses at the same time. Got them put on by a reputable company in Jax.

Took the car home and it was running great. But noticed a drastic decrease in gas mileage, SES light came on, and I could smell that the car seemed to be running rich. I was usually around 21-22 mpg pre-HFPC and it dropped to about 15.8 mpg post-HFPC according to the maxima's on board system which seemed to pretty accurate (I lost about 100 miles on the tank). Took it back to them and they hooked it up for free and looked at what was going on. They said my o2 sensors are reading that its running lean so apparently this is causing the injection system to dump more fuel in. I definitely could smell it was running rich when I gave it back to them. Now they're trying to find numbers for racingline to ask them if they know of this issue. They say the possibility of the o2 sensor being bad IS there, but they don't THINK its my sensors. That's what I'm leaning towards at this point though.

Anyone????

I thought this would lead to BETTER gas mileage...not THIS...

Last edited by 06BlckMax; 05-02-2013 at 01:52 PM.
gangledupjoe is offline   Send a private message to gangledupjoe Find more posts by gangledupjoe Add gangledupjoe to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Premier Member

Official Member #: 300

Reputation Level: 22
PetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enoughPetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Help!!! Racingline HFPC Issues

That is new. Never heard of that.

I have someone here in Houston who installed his own HFPC about 3 or 4 months ago. I talked with him about a month ago and he says things are great with his HFPC. But he has his check engine light on, though. He tells me it is for the O2 sensors.

Just letting you know what I learned from him. I hope your problem is not the HFPC. That would suck. I hope our issue gets resolved.

My BUILD/MAINTENANCE thread. Aiming for 250K on odometer.
http://my6thgen.org/f13/emiles-petitfreremaxima-17985/ ... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/21...ton-tx-63.html... KING OF THE ROAD
PetitFrereMaxima is offline   Send a private message to PetitFrereMaxima Find more posts by PetitFrereMaxima Add PetitFrereMaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM   Thread Starter #3

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima View Post
That is new. Never heard of that.

I have someone here in Houston who installed his own HFPC about 3 or 4 months ago. I talked with him about a month ago and he says things are great with his HFPC. But he has his check engine light on, though. He tells me it is for the O2 sensors.

Just letting you know what I learned from him. I hope your problem is not the HFPC. That would suck. I hope our issue gets resolved.
Yeah, o2 sensors were my first thought when I noticed the decrease in mpg. And I've seen members on here say to just replace 'em when you do the cats because they get finicky when you take out and put them back in. I just didn't want to spend unnecessary money when I'm already going broke!!!

gangledupjoe is offline   Send a private message to gangledupjoe Find more posts by gangledupjoe Add gangledupjoe to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 300

Reputation Level: 22
PetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enoughPetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

My Awards:

Originally Posted by gangledupjoe View Post
Yeah, o2 sensors were my first thought when I noticed the decrease in mpg. And I've seen members on here say to just replace 'em when you do the cats because they get finicky when you take out and put them back in. I just didn't want to spend unnecessary money when I'm already going broke!!!

I see your point in not wanting to go broke. But what I have realized is, if someone is doing this mod, I think it is very advisable they just do the O2 sensors also. Because I hear the job to install the O2 sensors later will cost you a lot, especially for someone who paid a shop to install the HFPC.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Besides, I just sent you a PM. Please, let me know your response. If you do have someone there in Miami that I can contact.

My BUILD/MAINTENANCE thread. Aiming for 250K on odometer.
http://my6thgen.org/f13/emiles-petitfreremaxima-17985/ ... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/21...ton-tx-63.html... KING OF THE ROAD
PetitFrereMaxima is offline   Send a private message to PetitFrereMaxima Find more posts by PetitFrereMaxima Add PetitFrereMaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 PM   Thread Starter #5

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima View Post
I see your point in not wanting to go broke. But what I have realized is, if someone is doing this mod, I think it is very advisable they just do the O2 sensors also. Because I hear the job to install the O2 sensors later will cost you a lot, especially for someone who paid a shop to install the HFPC.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Besides, I just sent you a PM. Please, let me know your response. If you do have someone there in Miami that I can contact.
Yeah, I hear ya. At this point, I just don't want to put the money into the o2 sensors and then that not be the problem...
Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 PM   Thread Starter #6

What about @BurntOrangeAppeal ???

I know you know your shiz about this stuff!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Premier Member

Official Member #: 280

Racingline is an unknown quantity at this point

The HFPC will have little to no effect on the mixture. Something is up with your primary sensors, Check to make sure they didn't unplug them during the install and then not plug them in properly. The primary sensors are very sensitive and if the plug is not hinged properly it could give off false readings. Also if they used RTV sealant and got any on the o2 sensor that cold damage it as well
Racingline is offline   Send a private message to Racingline Find more posts by Racingline Add Racingline to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2013, 01:14 PM   Thread Starter #8

Originally Posted by Racingline View Post
The HFPC will have little to no effect on the mixture. Something is up with your primary sensors, Check to make sure they didn't unplug them during the install and then not plug them in properly. The primary sensors are very sensitive and if the plug is not hinged properly it could give off false readings. Also if they used RTV sealant and got any on the o2 sensor that cold damage it as well
Thanks for the reply. I'll pass this along. I know they've been trying to find some way to contact you guys and hear your opinion.

P.S. - They told me (when they were put on) that the quality of the HFPC's was top notch and fit perfect.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 PM   Thread Starter #9

Well...they said they replaced the front o2 sensor and all of the wacky reading they were getting vanished. They test drove it and the mpg shot back up to 21-22 range, but the ses light came back on and it's the rear sensor. SOOOO the answer was the sensors were bad. I'm getting the car back on Monday and will update then. Hopefully all is well then...
Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 55
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

Well...they said they replaced the front o2 sensor and all of the wacky reading they were getting vanished. They test drove it and the mpg shot back up to 21-22 range, but the ses light came back on and it's the rear sensor. SOOOO the answer was the sensors were bad. I'm getting the car back on Monday and will update then. Hopefully all is well then...
Did they replace the post-cat or pre-cat sensor or both ?

------See How It Was Built------
06BlckMax is offline   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 PM   Thread Starter #11

Originally Posted by 06BlckMax View Post
Did they replace the post-cat or pre-cat sensor or both ?
Uhhhhmmmm... Good question. I thought post-cat but now I'm second guessing

Sent from my Blazing Note 2 on Tapatalk...
Old 05-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
Donating Member

Official Member #: 416

Reputation Level: 40
DarkDog is a jewel in the roughDarkDog is a jewel in the roughDarkDog is a jewel in the roughDarkDog is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Official Ride  

/ Point Value: 10

The problem, most likely, lies in the Downstream sensor. Nice got the same issue currently. Just need time to get her on a lift again.

Tapatalk via iPhone4
DarkDog is offline   Send a private message to DarkDog Find more posts by DarkDog Add DarkDog to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

What about @BurntOrangeAppeal ???

I know you know your shiz about this stuff!!!
There is not much I can tell you based on the information you provided.
The shop needs to scan and look at live data/diagnose and compare fiqures compared to FSM.

First thing that needs to be done is reset/stop adaptive learning idle relearn etc, especially if the front A/F sensors have been touched.

With your new cats installed your sensors will often trigger CEL as the current inputs will not match what the computer is used to over time as the exhaust temperatures and oxygen levels are changed due to the new cats working more efficiently then prior to replacement.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2013, 06:52 PM   Thread Starter #14

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
There is not much I can tell you based on the information you provided.
The shop needs to scan and look at live data/diagnose and compare fiqures compared to FSM.

First thing that needs to be done is reset/stop adaptive learning idle relearn etc, especially if the front A/F sensors have been touched.

With your new cats installed your sensors will often trigger CEL as the current inputs will not match what the computer is used to over time as the exhaust temperatures and oxygen levels are changed due to the new cats working more efficiently then prior to replacement.
I only understood about half of that haha, but yeah, I know they were looking at live data. He said when they were, they were getting "Really weird readings/data" but to them, it looked like the o2 sensors were working, but just showing it running lean. That's when they thought the HFPC's along with the recently installed Takeda cai may have been the culprit somehow. So they had it for 3 days trying to get it figured out.

Finally they said, "What do we have to lose at this point?" Tred swapping the "Front" o2 sensor and all those weird readings dissappeared, the mpg issue was gone for the time being, and it seemed to be running good, but the SES light was still on and it pointed to the "rear" sensor. They'll be swapping it out too....
Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

I only understood about half of that haha, but yeah, I know they were looking at live data. He said when they were, they were getting "Really weird readings/data" but to them, it looked like the o2 sensors were working, but just showing it running lean. That's when they thought the HFPC's along with the recently installed Takeda cai may have been the culprit somehow. So they had it for 3 days trying to get it figured out.

Finally they said, "What do we have to lose at this point?" Tred swapping the "Front" o2 sensor and all those weird readings dissappeared, the mpg issue was gone for the time being, and it seemed to be running good, but the SES light was still on and it pointed to the "rear" sensor. They'll be swapping it out too....
Sounds good. FYI, The front (pre cat)sensors are A/F (air-fuel) sensors and not just plain 4 wire heated oxygen sensors like the rears (post cat) are.

They will have to perform the necessary resets per the FSM, or you will keep facing the CEL light....(assuming that the CEL'S are only there due to being triggered by the A/F or oxygen sensors)
-=My Build Tread=-
gangledupjoe (05-05-2013)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #16

Official Member #: 3127

Reputation Level: 14
ESTEP_33 will become famous soon enough

Visit ESTEP_33's PS3 Profile Visit ESTEP_33's YouTube

I e read almost every post already, how'd the timing chain thing go? I had to get my car towed to the shop because my immobilized got tripped somehow, and he ended up telling me after they reset that, that Nissan sent out a bulletin to replace the timing chain and its tensioners, and that they would have to break down my whole engine so my warranty company could see what they were paying for.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:08 PM   Thread Starter #17

Originally Posted by ESTEP_33 View Post
I e read almost every post already, how'd the timing chain thing go? I had to get my car towed to the shop because my immobilized got tripped somehow, and he ended up telling me after they reset that, that Nissan sent out a bulletin to replace the timing chain and its tensioners, and that they would have to break down my whole engine so my warranty company could see what they were paying for.
The timing chain was covered by my extended warranty thank god. Had it done at the dealership since it was still under warranty. They had it done in about a day and a half and is running great now. No more whining/buzzing. I had to pay a $250 deductible, but it saved me over $1400. Just be prepared. When they told me it would be covered they said IF I could provide documentation showing I regularly changed the oil and had routine maintenance performed. I had to go to a few shops to get histories and show receipts/statements from the times I did it myself. Pissed me off. They said the timing chain is the ONLY part that was covered under my warranty that I needed to show that documentation with. Obviously I was able to show I take care of my car!

The pre cats and variable intake solenoid were not covered however. And actually, my warranty ran up about 1 week after the timing chain job was completed! So now I'm on my own
Old 05-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #18

That's great! I have a $100 deductible, but they've had my car since Thursday and the adjuster from Zurich (warranty company) isn't coming out until Monday or Tuesday. I still have 8 months on my warranty but I only have 8000 miles left and I travel 40 miles per day to work so I know I'll be over my mileage before it expires. Just hearing that this cost $1400 just makes my glad that I had a warranty.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:19 PM   Thread Starter #19

Originally Posted by ESTEP_33 View Post
That's great! I have a $100 deductible, but they've had my car since Thursday and the adjuster from Zurich (warranty company) isn't coming out until Monday or Tuesday. I still have 8 months on my warranty but I only have 8000 miles left and I travel 40 miles per day to work so I know I'll be over my mileage before it expires. Just hearing that this cost $1400 just makes my glad that I had a warranty.
Definitely. Don't know how I would have afforded all of this without it. And I've heard horror stories of that job costing up near the $2000-2200.00 range!!! (Just because of the hellacious amount of labor) Yikes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #20

That's terrible, I've gotten a lot of expensive repairs done each for $100
Old 05-18-2013, 11:25 AM   Thread Starter #21

Update: Got the car back about 2 weeks ago, I think. After they changed the O2 sensors, the car is back to running good and no SES light. In fact, my mpg is higher than its ever been (Around 22-24 depending on city vs highway). Used to run around 21, MAYBE 22 if I was lucky. Only thing I'm not sure about, is if the changed pre or post cat sensors. I'm assuming post. Either way, she is running STRONG now!!! BIG difference with the Takeda CAI and going from clogged precats to high flow precats!!