Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

Reply
ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 01:16 PM   Thread Starter #1
Senior Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
BkzNism06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Official Member #: 551
Last Online: 07-08-2014 06:08 PM
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 913

Reputation Level: 13
BkzNism06 is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Help! I Need A How To: Stock Air Filter

Hey guys so as title states, I know there is a how to on changing the in-cabin filter but I can't find a how to for changing the stock air filter. Just bought a k&n filter re-usable filter and would like to change it asap because I haven't changed it since forever.

I'm having a problem on how I need to go about opening up the compartment where the filter lies. In fact, I broke a tab trying to take apart some part I thought was necessary to take off. So i stopped before anything else is broken.

Any quick help or if there is a how-to already, can someone direct me? Thanks!
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
BkzNism06 is offline   Send a private message to BkzNism06 Find more posts by BkzNism06 Add BkzNism06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Parking Lot Pimpin
Donating Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
PapaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Official Member #: 78
Last Online: 11-30-2012 08:02 PM
Location: D\m/V
Posts: 2,612

Reputation Level: 35
PapaL has a spectacular aura aboutPapaL has a spectacular aura aboutPapaL has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  


/ Point Value: 10

Official Ride  


/ Point Value: 10

Active Member  


/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Help! I Need A How To: Stock Air Filter

If you already broke one of the two tabs, all you have is that one tab left. Either follow the instructions on the tab or in the owners manual...or break that tab too. The filter is right behind there.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.

Originally Posted by 20inlowpros View Post
^^^Nice ass bro!!
Originally Posted by chulo View Post
oh man! pm me if u want to get big by august
PapaL is offline   Send a private message to PapaL Find more posts by PapaL Add PapaL to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:50 PM   Thread Starter #3
Senior Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
BkzNism06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Official Member #: 551
Last Online: 07-08-2014 06:08 PM
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 913

Reputation Level: 13
BkzNism06 is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Help! I Need A How To: Stock Air Filter

Click the image to open in full size.

not sure if we're talking about the same tab. i circled the tab of what i broke. i know the filter is in the box above it but i can't seem to get it open
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
BkzNism06 is offline   Send a private message to BkzNism06 Find more posts by BkzNism06 Add BkzNism06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Executive Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Thundershott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Official Member #: 684
Last Online: 01-10-2015 01:27 AM
Location: IN THE DRIVERS SEAT
Posts: 16,501

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  


/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  


/ Point Value: 10

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  


/ Point Value: 10

Active Member  


/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Help! I Need A How To: Stock Air Filter

Originally Posted by BkzNism06 View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

not sure if we're talking about the same tab. i circled the tab of what i broke. i know the filter is in the box above it but i can't seem to get it open
You are in the wrong place. BUT VERY CLOSE!! The tab you broke off is not the one to open the compartment for the air filter.

Look at the next larger section going toward the fire wall. It is more larger and somewhat triangular in shape. You should see two small metal clips (not black plastic and on the same side of the car as the front door) This will release the top portion of the compartment for the air filter.

NOTE- I have found this very difficult to reassemble. It is very tight and you may need a flat head screw driver to help pry it off. (Be Careful not to break anything else). A small trick that works for me is to insert the new air filter in the "LID" portion, then try to position the lid with the filter onto the bottom section then close it and snap it shut. Keep at it. You will get it all together.

At least this is so for my 2004. Not sure if this changed for your year model.
Good luck.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.


Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Likes: (1)
BkzNism06 (11-06-2011)
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Parking Lot Pimpin
Donating Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
PapaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Official Member #: 78
Last Online: 11-30-2012 08:02 PM
Location: D\m/V
Posts: 2,612

Reputation Level: 35
PapaL has a spectacular aura aboutPapaL has a spectacular aura aboutPapaL has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  


/ Point Value: 10

Official Ride  


/ Point Value: 10

Active Member  


/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Help! I Need A How To: Stock Air Filter

That's not the in-cabin filter. The in-cabin filter is...in the cabin behind the glove box.

What are you really trying to change? In cabin or the air filter?

*DISREGARD* I see what you did there. Thundershot is correct. My bad.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.

Originally Posted by 20inlowpros View Post
^^^Nice ass bro!!
Originally Posted by chulo View Post
oh man! pm me if u want to get big by august
PapaL is offline   Send a private message to PapaL Find more posts by PapaL Add PapaL to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Executive Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Thundershott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Official Member #: 684
Last Online: 01-10-2015 01:27 AM
Location: IN THE DRIVERS SEAT
Posts: 16,501

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  


/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  


/ Point Value: 10

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  


/ Point Value: 10

Active Member  


/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Help! I Need A How To: Stock Air Filter

Originally Posted by BkzNism06 View Post
Hey guys so as title states, I know there is a how to on changing the in-cabin filter but I can't find a how to for changing the stock air filter. Just bought a k&n filter re-usable filter and would like to change it asap because I haven't changed it since forever.

I'm having a problem on how I need to go about opening up the compartment where the filter lies. In fact, I broke a tab trying to take apart some part I thought was necessary to take off. So i stopped before anything else is broken.

Any quick help or if there is a how-to already, can someone direct me? Thanks!
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
That's not the in-cabin filter. The in-cabin filter is...in the cabin behind the glove box.

What are you really trying to change? In cabin or the air filter?
PapaL,
I understand him as trying to change the "Stock" air filter not the "In-cabin filter"
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.


Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
Executive Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Thundershott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Official Member #: 684
Last Online: 01-10-2015 01:27 AM
Location: IN THE DRIVERS SEAT
Posts: 16,501

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  


/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  


/ Point Value: 10

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  


/ Point Value: 10

Active Member  


/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Help! I Need A How To: Stock Air Filter

Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
That's not the in-cabin filter. The in-cabin filter is...in the cabin behind the glove box.

What are you really trying to change? In cabin or the air filter?

*DISREGARD* I see what you did there. Thundershot is correct. My bad.
PapaL,
Please now disregard my last post.



__________________
Click the image to open in full size.


Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2011, 02:50 PM   Thread Starter #8
Senior Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
BkzNism06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Official Member #: 551
Last Online: 07-08-2014 06:08 PM
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 913

Reputation Level: 13
BkzNism06 is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Help! I Need A How To: Stock Air Filter

Originally Posted by Thundershott View Post
You are in the wrong place. BUT VERY CLOSE!! The tab you broke off is not the one to open the compartment for the air filter.

Look at the next larger section going toward the fire wall. It is more larger and somewhat triangular in shape. You should see two small metal clips (not black plastic and on the same side of the car as the front door) This will release the top portion of the compartment for the air filter.

NOTE- I have found this very difficult to reassemble. It is very tight and you may need a flat head screw driver to help pry it off. (Be Careful not to break anything else). A small trick that works for me is to insert the new air filter in the "LID" portion, then try to position the lid with the filter onto the bottom section then close it and snap it shut. Keep at it. You will get it all together.

At least this is so for my 2004. Not sure if this changed for your year model.
Good luck.
thanks thunder! so i was correct in releasing the two metal clips but the problem i'm having is how to take apart the rest of that box. i'm fairly afraid of breaking anymore clips/tabs and i'll take your word that it is difficult to reassemble lol. i'll try your little trick and if it doesn't work i'll just bring it to a shop for someone more experienced to do it haha
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
BkzNism06 is offline   Send a private message to BkzNism06 Find more posts by BkzNism06 Add BkzNism06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Inland Empire's Official 6.5 Gen
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Slightly Stoopid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Official Member #: 2294
Last Online: 01-19-2014 02:31 AM
Location: Cali
Posts: 1,061

Reputation Level: 11
Slightly Stoopid is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Help! I Need A How To: Stock Air Filter

2 metal clips then lift and pull.. you might have to unclip the MAF sensor
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Visit My Build/Project Thread
Slightly Stoopid is offline   Send a private message to Slightly Stoopid Find more posts by Slightly Stoopid Add Slightly Stoopid to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
Inland Empire's Official 6.5 Gen
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Slightly Stoopid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Official Member #: 2294
Last Online: 01-19-2014 02:31 AM
Location: Cali
Posts: 1,061

Reputation Level: 11
Slightly Stoopid is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Help! I Need A How To: Stock Air Filter

If you have owners manual or the DIY guide It tells you what to do.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Visit My Build/Project Thread
Slightly Stoopid is offline   Send a private message to Slightly Stoopid Find more posts by Slightly Stoopid Add Slightly Stoopid to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Costee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Official Member #: 2035
Last Online: Yesterday 06:37 PM
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Posts: 307

Reputation Level: 10
Costee is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Help! I Need A How To: Stock Air Filter

Originally Posted by BkzNism06 View Post
thanks thunder! so i was correct in releasing the two metal clips but the problem i'm having is how to take apart the rest of that box. i'm fairly afraid of breaking anymore clips/tabs and i'll take your word that it is difficult to reassemble lol. i'll try your little trick and if it doesn't work i'll just bring it to a shop for someone more experienced to do it haha
To remove the air cleaner filter:
1. Loosen the screw connecting the tube clamp at the electric throttle control actuator and mass air flow sensor.
2. Disconnect the electrical connector on the mass air flow sensor attached to the electric throttle control actuator tube.
3. Unhook the air cleaner case side clips and remove the air cleaner case (upper).
4. Remove the air cleaner filter.
5. Install a new air cleaner filter.
6. Installation of remaining components is in the reverse order of
removal.
For illustration see owner's manual, the maintenance and do-it-yourself section.
If the case is not removed completely, it might be difficult re-latching the clips.

Last edited by Costee; 11-06-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Likes: (1)
BkzNism06 (11-06-2011)
Costee is online now   Send a private message to Costee Find more posts by Costee Add Costee to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Reply

Tags
air, filter

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Members And 1 Guests)
 
Thread Tools


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 PM.