Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 71

Reputation Level: 10
Maximusberg is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Gutted Stock Precats

Ok so im getting another set of oem headers n pre cats n gutting them for my turbo applacation. upon installing them will i throw codes with them
Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Gutted stock precats

Yes you will definately throw o2 codes. The codes wll be for catalitic inefficiency. This means that the rear o2 sensors will trigger. The rear oxygen readings will be way too high...probably staying anywhere in the 0.5-1.0V once you ECM goes into closed loop.

-Dan
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Mess with the pre-cats seems we always get codes. Did you pull them? Which codes did you get?

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 03:34 PM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

nah not yet, im in the process of doing this
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Mile High Maxima

Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Gutted Stock Precats

Oh yeah, I think you will get codes.

Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #6

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Yes, you will definetly get codes no questions asked. lol

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM   Thread Starter #7
Official Member

so just o2 similators or 350z o2 sensors and ill be in the clear right?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #8

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

More time efficient to get the ebay headers. Either way you will need an 02 sim or some of the other options used to prevent the CEL.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Maximusberg View Post
so just o2 similators or 350z o2 sensors and ill be in the clear right?
350z sensors will do nothing for you but provide extended connector. o2 sims are probably a better way to eliminate the CEL, however doing so raises 2 more questions I have for you.....

1. How strict are emission laws in your state?
2. What is your plan with tunning. Since, from your build post you are going to run Forced Induction, your rear 02 simulators(since they are just simulators, they dont rely on the data from the actual o2 sensor) might trigger telling the Computer that you are pig "RICH" the ECM will turn around and pull fuel/time....Lean is not something you ever want to do when you are running Forced....If you are doing your own tuning you have to compensate for that greatly or whoever is tuning for you will have to.

-Dan
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Danski6MT View Post
350z sensors will do nothing for you but provide extended connector. o2 sims are probably a better way to eliminate the CEL, however doing so raises 2 more questions I have for you.....

2. What is your plan with tunning. Since, from your build post you are going to run Forced Induction, your rear 02 simulators(since they are just simulators, they dont rely on the data from the actual o2 sensor) might trigger telling the Computer that you are pig "RICH" the ECM will turn around and pull fuel/time....Lean is not something you ever want to do when you are running Forced....If you are doing your own tuning you have to compensate for that greatly or whoever is tuning for you will have to.

-Dan
I thought the initial 6spd's used NARROWBAND sensors like the 04 4spds.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
I thought the initial 6spd's used NARROWBAND sensors like the 04 4spds.
Im unsure I understand this Eddy?

Narrow bands are rear sensors as they only look for stoich , anything below voltage wise is lean, and above is rich. Fronts are wide band, hence they are able to monitor A/F ratios..
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 02-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #12

Im unsure I understand this Eddy?

Narrow bands are rear sensors as they only look for stoich , anything below voltage wise is lean, and above is rich. Fronts are wide band, hence they are able to monitor A/F ratios..
Not all 6thgens use widebands sensors at all, particularly the 04's (4spd/6spds).

In my 04' 4spd, I have Cattman headers with no CEL codes. A buddy of mine with an 04' 6spd has headers and also no CEL. All we did was extend the main harness and that's it.

With the Narrowband sensors, depending on the voltage, the ECM will continuously +/- fuel. With the widebands you need to trick the ECU into sending the correct voltage otherwise, bad voltage = CEL.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 02-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #13

You are correct in the front wideband sensors, but that applies to the 05+ 5spd in particular.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 55
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

So if the front are wide band and the rears arent could that be a reason why im getting a code with my HFPC for the rear cats and not the fronts, would putting wide band in the rear might fix the problem P0420

------See How It Was Built------
06BlckMax is offline   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Burnt Orange

Not all 6thgens use widebands sensors particularly the 04's (4spd/6spds).

In my 04' 4spd, I have Cattman headers with no CEL codes. A buddy of mine with an 04' 6spd has headers and also no CEL. All we did was extend the main harness and that's it.

With the Narrowband sensors, depending on the voltage, the ECM will continuously +/- fuel. With the widebands you need to trick the ECU into sending the correct voltage other bad voltage = CEL.
All 04' come with A/F (wideband) taking a fuel/air sample into the sensor in the manifolds and rear heater oxygen sensors (narrowband) post cats.
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #16

All 04' come with A/F (wideband) taking a fuel/air sample into the sensor in the manifolds and rear heater oxygen sensors (narrowband) post cats.
No, the 04' 4spd DO NOT have primary wideband sensors.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 PM   Thread Starter #17
Official Member

-Dan
gonna be tunning with my safc2 and my wideband with my stock injectors just to have a safe drive able car to get me to the dyno place, then i will be dropping in my bigger injectors and uprev tunning my beast to make sure its safe......

the whole idea for me going forced induction for the time being is im not looking for crazy numbers since im not touch internals.. im shooting for around 350-380whp. i wanted to have a driveable turbo car, as if it came stock from the factory until i have the money to do the internals. to make this kit work we drew up a new plan becuz i wanna be safe about it, im using the stock headers and pre cats ( just gutted, and having my boy do a custom down pipe into the the custom y-pipe).... but i wanted to install the gutted ones asoon as possible so i can get that part out the way and not have to do it last minute, but i didnt wanna be driving around with the cel on.....
Old 02-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #18

If that held true (not that I'm calling you a liar lol), then I would definelty have codes but I don't. It was really plug-n-play for me.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Maximusberg (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #19

Originally Posted by 06BlckMax View Post
So if the front are wide band and the rears arent could that be a reason why im getting a code with my HFPC for the rear cats and not the fronts, would putting wide band in the rear might fix the problem P0420
You are not supposed to be getting ANY codes with HFPC. That was like the main selling point for them.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM   Thread Starter #20
Official Member

im thinking somehting is in his egr valve....
Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #21
Burnt Orange

If that held true (not that I'm calling you a liar lol), then I would definelty have codes but I don't. It was really plug-n-play for me.
Im not familiar with your setup Eddy, other then the 6mt swap. What is your setup
- Do you have cats
-where are you sensors placed.

Codes appear for more then one reason...It could be a lazy/stuck sensor....or more then one. The fact that you dont have codes is great...If you have no cats and no codes...well, now that would be different, you got me excited (not in a sexual way) lol and I want to see pics.....
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #22
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by 06BlckMax View Post
NO,and NO.
The rear 3rd cat( 3 way catalyst) is not monitored... no sensors behind it...
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 02-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #23

Im not familiar with your setup Eddy, other then the 6mt swap. What is your setup
- Do you have cats
-where are you sensors placed.

Codes appear for more then one reason...It could be a lazy/stuck sensor....or more then one. The fact that you dont have codes is great...If you have no cats and no codes...well, now that would be different, you got me excited (not in a sexual way) lol and I want to see pics.....
I have NO Cats and Cattman Headers. I actually put exhaust cutout on my y-pipe and eliminated the CAT completely.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #24
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 55
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

NO,and NO.
The rear 3rd cat( 3 way catalyst) is not monitored... no sensors behind it...
Huh I only have the HFPC I have the RL y-pipe no cat

------See How It Was Built------
06BlckMax is offline   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #25
Mile High Maxima

Originally Posted by Maximusberg View Post
gonna be tunning with my safc2 and my wideband with my stock injectors just to have a safe drive able car to get me to the dyno place, then i will be dropping in my bigger injectors and uprev tunning my beast to make sure its safe......

the whole idea for me going forced induction for the time being is im not looking for crazy numbers since im not touch internals.. im shooting for around 350-380whp. i wanted to have a driveable turbo car, as if it came stock from the factory until i have the money to do the internals. to make this kit work we drew up a new plan becuz i wanna be safe about it, im using the stock headers and pre cats ( just gutted, and having my boy do a custom down pipe into the the custom y-pipe).... but i wanted to install the gutted ones asoon as possible so i can get that part out the way and not have to do it last minute, but i didnt wanna be driving around with the cel on.....
Why would you not go true headers instead of gutted pre-cats?