Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:11 AM   Thread Starter #1
Mile High Maxima
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 33
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
Default Emissions Failed, Emissions Passed

Colorado has the drive by emissions station that you can drive by as you get onto the highway and if your car passes you don’t have to take the emission test at the station. I never pass this because of my setup.

Exhaust Setup: Cattman Headers and Y-pipe, Nismo catback. Zero cats in the system. By zero cats I mean I normally run that way (for track etc) but for emission time I put the stock Y back in with a cat.

Click the image to open in full size.

AirFuel management: Apex SAFCII (Super Air Fuel Controller)

Constant check engine light. (Lean/Rich codes)

Plan to pass emissions: Same plan that has worked in the past, put the stock Y-pipe back in and pass emissions.

Result: Failure
Cause: Running rich! This has not happened before, it could be time for another Dyno Tune but that’s $$$

So I go back to my Finish Line Racing for advice. Here’s a new one, mix in some E-85 gasoline to about a quarter tank of gas. E-85 is like 105 Octane and will lean out your fuel. Not recommended for regular driving.

Now I go down to the emission testing station again (ugh) all lines are full so I wait. Then one of the ladies that works there looks at my cars with my Nismo wheels and walks right over to the car and says “Open the door”. She starts looking at the wheels size recommended for my 05 SE. She says “OH, hmm, looks like 19in wheels are one of the recommended sizes. Your lucky otherwise you would have to leave” What??!! Whatever I got the right size, so I finally make it in and the put the car on the drums. I wait.

They finish with readings and the drums so they pull it forward for the visual inspection. Wow they got the flashlights out, they are going over the car with a fine tooth comb. I still only have the cat in the stock Y-pipe but nothing on the manifolds.

The 3.5L is packed so tight in the engine bay they cannot tell the headers are there and my fuel ratios are right. Passed!

Just a tip, if you are running rich, a little E-85 can help in a pinch. I gotta come up with a new plan for next time. I hate the emission testing station.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Apollos2; 02-09-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 7303

Reputation Level: 12
ShawnD will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Emissions Failed, Emissions Passed

You should put a disclaimer up in the op or something. e85 is not good for cars that don't have an upgraded fuel system, wouldn't want to take some internet blaming lol
ShawnD is offline   Send a private message to ShawnD Find more posts by ShawnD Add ShawnD to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #3

Official Member #: 6540

Reputation Level: 8
incubus0111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow man, what a mess. I could not deal with that. How is it any business of the state what size wheel you have.
Apollos2 (01-28-2014)
incubus0111 is offline   Send a private message to incubus0111 Find more posts by incubus0111 Add incubus0111 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2470

Reputation Level: 10
silvermax06 is an unknown quantity at this point

How many o2 senors does the max have? 2 or 4. i thought there was 2 before the cats and 2 after. But i only see one bung on each header. Got me wondering...

Last edited by silvermax06; 01-28-2014 at 12:20 PM.
silvermax06 is offline   Send a private message to silvermax06 Find more posts by silvermax06 Add silvermax06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

2 A/F sensors (upstream)
2 oxygen sensors (downstream)
-=My Build Tread=-
Apollos2 (01-28-2014)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 11:29 PM   Thread Starter #6
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Originally Posted by ShawnD View Post
You should put a disclaimer up in the op or something. e85 is not good for cars that don't have an upgraded fuel system, wouldn't want to take some internet blaming lol
I would hope that goes without saying, you don't want to run racing fuel or e85 if you car isn't equipped for it. As soon as I passed emissions I went and filled it up with mid-grade.

My ratio was probably about 3 gal to 1 gal e85.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 7303

Reputation Level: 12
ShawnD will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Apollos2 View Post
I would hope that goes without saying, you don't want to run racing fuel or e85 if you car isn't equipped for it. As soon as I passed emissions I went and filled it up with mid-grade.

My ratio was probably about 3 gal to 1 gal e85.
The internet is a crazy place man lol someone might go fill up on e85 haha
ShawnD is offline   Send a private message to ShawnD Find more posts by ShawnD Add ShawnD to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top