Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:59 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 7354

Reputation Level: 7
KaiMax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Ebay Exhaust DIY?

Hey guys, i just ordered my ebay exhaust about 15min ago. I searched and could not find a DIY installation for it. Can someone write a little something up for me? i have 2 jack stands and a 2 ton jack. can i install it with only two stands or do i need to borrow a pair from a neighbor. Is it just a bolt of bolt on thing? Any instructions, tips, etc would be helpful!
KaiMax is offline   Send a private message to KaiMax Find more posts by KaiMax Add KaiMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 9697

Sammaxvq35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Ebay exhaust DIY?

Should be a direct fit from catback. You might need to spray some pb blaster to the bolts to make it easier to remove.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 36
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

Two jack stands should be enough...atleast it was for me on my maxima and my 350z....

1)spray all bolts 1 day before you install to make life easier
2)when its time to install jack up the car SAFELY and don't get under the car until the jacks stands are put safely
3)start unbolting all bolts from the exhaust starting behind the cats
4)spray the hangers holding the OEM exhaust and try to remove in the best way...hangers are the rubber things that hold up the exhaust...that can be a pain in the ass but I found it easy to take two flat heads to try to open them up to have enough room to pull out the exhaust
5)start putting the new exhaust starting from after the cats

If you need any help during install pm me and I'll guide you through it...can't remember what sockets you need for the exhaust bolts...I'm surprised there's no write up

To be honest its one of those projects that is actually easier to do then to try to understand how its done...you'll find it pretty simple once you start physically starting the project but again...I cannot stress this enough MAKE SURE THE JACKSTANDS ARE PUT SAFELY BEFORE YOU GET UNDER THE CAR...unbolting those bolts is gonna take some muscle and you dont want the car to slide off the jack stands while your unbolting something cause the car is not gonna wait til you get out under it...so please make sure the car is lifted safely...

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z

Last edited by Kenny; 01-14-2014 at 05:32 AM.
HawaiiMAX808 (03-10-2014), KaiMax (01-15-2014), KobyG04 (01-14-2014), Sammaxvq35 (01-14-2014), shredda (01-14-2014)
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 AM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Two jack stands should be enough...atleast it was for me on my maxima and my 350z....

1)spray all bolts 1 day before you install to make life easier
2)when its time to install jack up the car SAFELY and don't get under the car until the jacks stands are put safely
3)start unbolting all bolts from the exhaust starting behind the cats
4)spray the hangers holding the OEM exhaust and try to remove in the best way...hangers are the rubber things that hold up the exhaust...that can be a pain in the ass but I found it easy to take two flat heads to try to open them up to have enough room to pull out the exhaust
5)start putting the new exhaust starting from after the cats

If you need any help during install pm me and I'll guide you through it...can't remember what sockets you need for the exhaust bolts...I'm surprised there's no write up

To be honest its one of those projects that is actually easier to do then to try to understand how its done...you'll find it pretty simple once you start physically starting the project but again...I cannot stress this enough MAKE SURE THE JACKSTANDS ARE PUT SAFELY BEFORE YOU GET UNDER THE CAR...unbolting those bolts is gonna take some muscle and you dont want the car to slide off the jack stands while your unbolting something cause the car is not gonna wait til you get out under it...so please make sure the car is lifted safely...
Thanks Kenny! I'll probably do this next weekend and i'll just do the write up myself! Plenty of pictures too.
I took my car to an exhaust shop last week and they put it up on a lift and the guy said that my mufflers are welded or bolted up to something. i cant remember exactly which he said but ill get ahold of the stands and jack this weekend to take a look for myself. if they are welded then ill just get a shop to cut them out and i'll install it in their parking lot
im a cheap ass i guess
KaiMax is offline   Send a private message to KaiMax Find more posts by KaiMax Add KaiMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 36
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

Originally Posted by KaiMax View Post
Thanks Kenny! I'll probably do this next weekend and i'll just do the write up myself! Plenty of pictures too.
I took my car to an exhaust shop last week and they put it up on a lift and the guy said that my mufflers are welded or bolted up to something. i cant remember exactly which he said but ill get ahold of the stands and jack this weekend to take a look for myself. if they are welded then ill just get a shop to cut them out and i'll install it in their parking lot
im a cheap ass i guess
lmao its always good to be cheap but not too cheap! wherever you install it or get it installed make sure its done right and no shortcuts! lol

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Dislikes: (1)
07maximan (03-10-2014)
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
Official Member

Official Member #: 7303

Reputation Level: 12
ShawnD will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Ebay Exhaust DIY?

I think my local exhaust shop charged me an hour of labor to put on the exhaust and they did it even quicker since I told them to just hack it off with a saw. Looking back I could have done it at work with an oxy-acetylene torch and saw lol definitely put a big emphasis on starting from and tightening from the cats to the back, otherwise it could get wonky.
ShawnD is offline   Send a private message to ShawnD Find more posts by ShawnD Add ShawnD to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 9697

Sammaxvq35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Post a video once you get it installed.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #8

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

plz post that vid

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Official Member

do you guys just want a sound vid? I have a couple of dyno vids with the ebay catback and injen intake.

I do need to go do a proper rev video in a parking lot though lol

Last edited by ShawnD; 01-18-2014 at 11:53 AM.
ShawnD is offline   Send a private message to ShawnD Find more posts by ShawnD Add ShawnD to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Official Member

Official Member #: 1072

Reputation Level: 9
mrjasonlyrics is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ShawnD View Post
do you guys just want a sound vid? I have a couple of dyno vids with the ebay catback and injen intake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD0f6toDeGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0laFx7e9Gw

I do need to go do a proper rev video in a parking lot though lol
What are you producing? In my opinion if you only have intake and catback/exhaust there's no need to get a dyno. Your numbers will be around the 228-230 give or take but I guess most guys just want the piece of paper.
GT-R bodykit/CAI/Zenetti rims/5pc spacers/BOP/Cosmo lightweight pulley/Satin black 2-tone paint/N1 catback/Magnaflow mufflers/6spd manual/lambo doors/racingline USTB/B&G lowering springs/KYB GR-2 shock,struts/,Exedy OE clutch
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/388690...ima-se-sedan-4
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJasonlyrics
If I can't use my both hands and feet then I don't want it
mrjasonlyrics is offline   Send a private message to mrjasonlyrics Find more posts by mrjasonlyrics Add mrjasonlyrics to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
Official Member

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics View Post
What are you producing? In my opinion if you only have intake and catback/exhaust there's no need to get a dyno. Your numbers will be around the 228-230 give or take but I guess most guys just want the piece of paper.
I'm doing a dyno after every power mod so if people have questions in the future there is a tiny bit of documentation as to what they might get. 225/222 were the numbers I think so you are very close! The guys at the shop also guessed it before I put it up there and it was only 55 bucks for three runs and the assurance that my a:f ratio isn't completely terrible. I have a block off plate to put on but I hate working in the cold on my car when I do it all week on trains lol

Last edited by ShawnD; 01-18-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Official Member

Official Member #: 1072

Reputation Level: 9
mrjasonlyrics is an unknown quantity at this point

With the basic bolt-on's it's easy to predict what you'll produce. I have Altima Headers, CAI, light weight crank pulley, NWP bop, and Exedy OE clutch and I'm making 239whp. I had a misfire that day and I used 89octane gas believe it or not. My next phase is tuning it after I find an Acura TL to race. Them guys are just straight annoying

GT-R bodykit/CAI/Zenetti rims/5pc spacers/BOP/Cosmo lightweight pulley/Satin black 2-tone paint/N1 catback/Magnaflow mufflers/6spd manual/lambo doors/racingline USTB/B&G lowering springs/KYB GR-2 shock,struts/,Exedy OE clutch
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/388690...ima-se-sedan-4
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJasonlyrics
If I can't use my both hands and feet then I don't want it

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 01-20-2014 at 10:44 PM.
mrjasonlyrics is offline   Send a private message to mrjasonlyrics Find more posts by mrjasonlyrics Add mrjasonlyrics to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
Official Member

No one here wants to race, there are a couple tracks nearby with friday night test and tunes that they do. They cracked down on street racing pretty hard a couple years ago and in VA if you go over 80 its a misdemeanor if I recall correctly
Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
Official Member

Official Member #: 11397

KobyG04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Installed the ebay catback this weekend and it was nothing, be prepared for difficulties if you want to save the stock exhaust, it gets to be a tight fit when trying to slide the one hanger out.
KobyG04 is offline   Send a private message to KobyG04 Find more posts by KobyG04 Add KobyG04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 PM   Thread Starter #15

Originally Posted by KobyG04 View Post
Installed the ebay catback this weekend and it was nothing, be prepared for difficulties if you want to save the stock exhaust, it gets to be a tight fit when trying to slide the one hanger out.
I am installing it this weekend! Which hanger are you talking about specifically? The central hanger that holds the piping where it splits?

Also, are there hangers above the mufflers? I see the bolts that are holding the mufflers in place but i cant see above the mufflers.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:22 PM   Thread Starter #16

I will be doing a DIY write up of the process of installing the Ebay catback with tons of pictures and a video or two. I started spraying every bolt and hanger with a lubricant/ rust remover type thing, autozone told me to use carb cleaner. So i have been spraying it down daily just to ensure ease of installation. It might be overkill but it's worth a shot!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #17
Official Member

Official Member #: 11397

KobyG04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KaiMax View Post
I am installing it this weekend! Which hanger are you talking about specifically? The central hanger that holds the piping where it splits?

Also, are there hangers above the mufflers? I see the bolts that are holding the mufflers in place but i cant see above the mufflers.
yeah the hanger over where it splits back in two, the piping was hitting the suspension and wouldnt let the hanger slide out all the way so we just chopped off a muffler and it popped out. As for the mufflers undo those bolts (mine came off no problem) then just slide the hanger out with ease.
KobyG04 is offline   Send a private message to KobyG04 Find more posts by KobyG04 Add KobyG04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #18

Official Member #: 14693

Reputation Level: 0
chichat is an unknown quantity at this point

do u still pass smog (emission) with the $200 ebay catback exhaust? kind worried ebay seller said they are for off road only... some of them sounds good,, the only thing I don't like they have big body tank sticking out low from the rear bumper,, but the price is great,,,
chichat is offline   Send a private message to chichat Find more posts by chichat Add chichat to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #19
Always For Self

Official Member #: 50

Reputation Level: 18
craze is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Visit craze's Facebook Visit craze's PS3 Profile

Originally Posted by chichat View Post
do u still pass smog (emission) with the $200 ebay catback exhaust? kind worried ebay seller said they are for off road only... some of them sounds good,, the only thing I don't like they have big body tank sticking out low from the rear bumper,, but the price is great,,,

No problems with emissions