Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:54 PM   Thread Starter #1
mr. bigs
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 8

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Default eBay 3.5 Altima Headers

well since my civic plan fell through i figured i might as well fix the car. besides the suspension issues i just got a P0420 code (bank1). I decided to just get ebay headers instead of guttin the cats since it will at least look better and sound a lot better. Plus i been seeing random threads about racingline's high flow cats going bad so i don't want to risk it with buying those.

but ya I have the 5 spd and from looking around i know I need to shave my starter down a bit for it to fit properly. I also found some info stating that the 350z/g35 o2 wires are longer and that we can use those. just wondering if that really will work. also besides shaving the starter is there anything else i may need to do or look out for. extending pipes or w/e.

thanks in advance

Last edited by bdmaxima; 08-15-2011 at 05:28 PM.
bdmaxima is banned   Send a private message to bdmaxima Find more posts by bdmaxima Add bdmaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Donating Member

Official Member #: 57

Reputation Level: 14
Biggden434 is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Default Re: eBay 3.5 Altima Headers

1st off its the starter that needs to be shaved not the alternator... Other than that they bolt right up.. But lemme know how it all works out with 350z/G35 o2 wires.. Cause thats all i would need to finally get my CEL light off..
Old 08-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #3

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Correct, starter not alternator. Go for it BD.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 05:27 PM   Thread Starter #4
mr. bigs

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

ya my bad i was thinking wrong thing. as for the 350z o2 wires i have no clue if its true i just saw a guy suggest it on a thread on maxima.org
bdmaxima is banned   Send a private message to bdmaxima Find more posts by bdmaxima Add bdmaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Biggden434 View Post
1st off its the starter that needs to be shaved not the alternator... Other than that they bolt right up.. But lemme know how it all works out with 350z/G35 o2 wires.. Cause thats all i would need to finally get my CEL light off..
Why not just extended the harness, that's what Im doing. Just make sure and don't extend the part that is in between the sensor and plug. Extend the part from plug back.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

There are two types of Header on Ebay , and here is what you need and to look out for.

#1 DO NOT USE ANY OF THE GASKET THAT COME WITH IT !

These are the 3 piece header you want
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VQ35D...Q5fAccessories

#2 There was another set of headers that was (4) pieces that I don't see right now but I'm sure it may float around again,

The 4 piece header has (2) manifolds , the (1)Y-pipe and then the (1)Cat,

I would avoid this because the more gasket you have , the more prone you will have exhaust leak.

So once's you have the header there's a few ways around the starter issue,

#1 is to have a fab shop re-clock the flanges from the manifold - Y pipe , or even extend the flange 1 inch further down to clear the starter.

#2 I never shave my starter, I shaved the flange itself, because its thick enough, you can take just enough to clear the starter , I would never shave the starter just to clear it, people do that if your doing this at your house and its the last resort because you don't have #1 option to go to.

Now , if you already have an aftermarket Ebay cat-back or one of the higher end cat-back, I would suggest you add another resonator in the system , save your money and time and do this 1 shot if you can. We already know with headers/cat-back there's a crazy drone in the car.

o2 sensor :

Since the average joe hacks up the wires and either butt connects them , this isn't the best way to go about it, some people may solder and heat shrink wrap them properly.

But if your installing "New" Headers, you might as well spend the extra to purchase new o2 sensors.

The Z o2's are already longer so that you don't need to extend them, you can get them for a fair price ( Upstream )

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5132

I personally would go with the Bosch which is a bit more but that's just me.

Comments

This is very important info to know. Thanks!
bdmaxima (08-16-2011), hero782 (08-16-2011), KZ 259 (09-27-2011), Max Power (08-16-2011), Safiloo1 (09-06-2012)
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

Bosch on ebay is little cheaper 75 bucks. Rockauto 122 and 14something.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bosch...Q5fAccessories
RAZ76 is offline   Send a private message to RAZ76 Find more posts by RAZ76 Add RAZ76 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 12:58 AM   Thread Starter #8
mr. bigs

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

mods can you guys make what nizmo said a sticky. that was the best explanation i read in all the threads i searched in.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #9

Official Member #: 296

Reputation Level: 10
conblac is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
There are two types of Header on Ebay , and here is what you need and to look out for.

#1 DO NOT USE ANY OF THE GASKET THAT COME WITH IT !

These are the 3 piece header you want
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VQ35D...Q5fAccessories

#2 There was another set of headers that was (4) pieces that I don't see right now but I'm sure it may float around again,

The 4 piece header has (2) manifolds , the (1)Y-pipe and then the (1)Cat,

I would avoid this because the more gasket you have , the more prone you will have exhaust leak.

So once's you have the header there's a few ways around the starter issue,

#1 is to have a fab shop re-clock the flanges from the manifold - Y pipe , or even extend the flange 1 inch further down to clear the starter.

#2 I never shave my starter, I shaved the flange itself, because its thick enough, you can take just enough to clear the starter , I would never shave the starter just to clear it, people do that if your doing this at your house and its the last resort because you don't have #1 option to go to.

Now , if you already have an aftermarket Ebay cat-back or one of the higher end cat-back, I would suggest you add another resonator in the system , save your money and time and do this 1 shot if you can. We already know with headers/cat-back there's a crazy drone in the car.

o2 sensor :

Since the average joe hacks up the wires and either butt connects them , this isn't the best way to go about it, some people may solder and heat shrink wrap them properly.

But if your installing "New" Headers, you might as well spend the extra to purchase new o2 sensors.

The Z o2's are already longer so that you don't need to extend them, you can get them for a fair price ( Upstream )

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5132

I personally would go with the Bosch which is a bit more but that's just me.
Hey Nismo1, I too am debating between gutting cat(s) or going with the headers. My first question to you is, where do you compensate (or how) for the EGR piping on the Altima header you showed the link to?

The extending, (cutting/splicing) of the O2 sensor some say will still cause the SES light to come on...something to do with changing the resistance rating in the wires for the ECU signaling, is that true?

I understand about grinding down the flange so it'll clear the starter, is there a difference between the Altima SER header and the regular Altima header?

Last question, will the O2 sensor for the Z be just plug n play, or does it too have to be slightly modified??

I see in a previous post you said even with gutted cats, a max can pass emissions, but the readings will be higher...here's a noob question, if I gut my cat, will my gas mileage drop or will I notice even a better performance gain even though I still have the oem exhaust setup?

(Guess I have too much questions, huh?). Thanx man!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by conblac View Post
Hey Nismo1, I too am debating between gutting cat(s) or going with the headers. My first question to you is, where do you compensate (or how) for the EGR piping on the Altima header you showed the link to?

The extending, (cutting/splicing) of the O2 sensor some say will still cause the SES light to come on...something to do with changing the resistance rating in the wires for the ECU signaling, is that true?

I understand about grinding down the flange so it'll clear the starter, is there a difference between the Altima SER header and the regular Altima header?

Last question, will the O2 sensor for the Z be just plug n play, or does it too have to be slightly modified??

I see in a previous post you said even with gutted cats, a max can pass emissions, but the readings will be higher...here's a noob question, if I gut my cat, will my gas mileage drop or will I notice even a better performance gain even though I still have the oem exhaust setup?

(Guess I have too much questions, huh?). Thanx man!
yes I forgot about the issues with the EGR ,
EGR Fix??
OBX Headers Installed

Here is what another member did to route the EGR , and in the first post there's a link I posted about getting the parts.

As far as the EGR goes, I wouldn't know much about it since I eliminate that on my car with no CODES.

Yes you are correct on the o2 extending wires, on other cars Ive seen people extending them and still get o2 only because your not suppose to extend the o2 wires themselves , but the body harness.

using the z33 o2s you will NOT need to mod anything to make them work, its the same plug and 4 wire wideband o2's

The only difference in SE-R is that they came with a VQ35DE, when you type in Altima, they had a 2.5 liter and a 3.5L , which is much more easier to search SE-R Altima, since it was standard 3.5

as far as a gutted cat, when you take the mesh out you basically open up the exhaust, you'll gain a little but as far as codes on a CANBUS ECU , I wouldn't know honestly.

on my 93 Altima , I gutted the pre-cats and no ses, but that was before CANBUS.

CANBUS is very sensitive with the sensors , I don't want to say yes and be wrong, matter of fact as a shop were not allow to touch the pre-cats or cats at all, its a HUGE fine !
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 02:32 AM   #11
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by bdmaxima View Post
mods can you guys make what nizmo said a sticky. that was the best explanation i read in all the threads i searched in.
I am a mod you know ? LOL

Facts About SE-R Headers

Last edited by NiZMo1o1; 08-16-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:12 AM   #12
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 55
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

I had my cats gutted and i was throwing a code

------See How It Was Built------
NiZMo1o1 (08-16-2011)
06BlckMax is offline   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 03:14 AM   #13
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

So we know for a FACT that gutted cats will throw the codes and not resolve the issue.

Thanks ^
Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #14

Thanx for the response Nismo1. Sorry BD for jacking your thread, tho' it seems we want to accomplish the same thing (more or less).

Seems like a lot of work with possibly no guarantee SES light won't return..Damn!!!

I'll save some beans for the Racingline HFPC...but where does that too compensate for the EGR, I didn't notice any members saying anything about it?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 AM   Thread Starter #15
mr. bigs

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
I am a mod you know ? LOL

Facts About SE-R Headers
lol i forget who's a mod and who isn't sometimes. my bad.

thanks again for the info.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #16

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

i Got 10bucks that BD dosent go through with this

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 55
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

Originally Posted by conblac View Post
Thanx for the response Nismo1. Sorry BD for jacking your thread, tho' it seems we want to accomplish the same thing (more or less).

Seems like a lot of work with possibly no guarantee SES light won't return..Damn!!!

I'll save some beans for the Racingline HFPC...but where does that too compensate for the EGR, I didn't notice any members saying anything about it?
Dont need to do anything with the EGR with HFPC its not effected

------See How It Was Built------
06BlckMax is offline   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 12:47 PM   Thread Starter #18
mr. bigs

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
i Got 10bucks that BD dosent go through with this

FYI im ordering the headers tonight soooo : P
Old 08-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #19

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Originally Posted by bdmaxima View Post

FYI im ordering the headers tonight soooo : P

That's the easy part. Wait until INSTALL TIME!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Cam (08-17-2011), RAZ76 (08-25-2011), smittybizzle (02-12-2013)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 01:02 PM   Thread Starter #20
mr. bigs

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

^^^ lol i'll see if raul can do it. if not i'll just take it a local tuner shop. not worried about it to much now that what needs to be done.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #21

Shout out to those who have headers-can we get some kinda feedback as far as SES lights, any problems after installation, so forth. I know this has been covered, but are those folks in serious emissions states like down here in Georgia???? (Yeah, its a true concern)

I know that might be a tall request, but the darned thing seems soooo intimidating!!! At least for those of us who have to worry 'bout emissions.

And 06Maxima, what about the EGR valve after one installs the HFPC?? What does that connect to, since the oem line to manifold is disconnected????
Old 08-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
Official Member

Official Member #: 335

Reputation Level: 22
hero782 will become famous soon enoughhero782 will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Why not get cattman headers? I know there more expensive but I think there worth it since it's a direct fitment, plus your gonna be spending more money on the install than what the actual headers are worth unless you do it yourself. Plus like eddy says cattman headers keep there value if you ever part out. I seem them go for $500 used. I'm getting cattman headers, as far as the SES light that don't scare me!!!
RAZ76 (08-16-2011)
hero782 is offline   Send a private message to hero782 Find more posts by hero782 Add hero782 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by hero782 View Post
Why not get cattman headers? I know there more expensive but I think there worth it since it's a direct fitment, plus your gonna be spending more money on the install than what the actual headers are worth unless you do it yourself. Plus like eddy says cattman headers keep there value if you ever part out. I seem them go for $500 used. I'm getting cattman headers, as far as the SES light that don't scare me!!!
Are headers legal here Omar??

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #24
Official Member

Official Member #: 335

Reputation Level: 22
hero782 will become famous soon enoughhero782 will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post
Are headers legal here Omar??
I don't think so, I know my R2C intake, kinetix intake manifold, Greddy catback, and y-pipe are not CARB certified so I'll just add another another thing to my list . Plus I still have 3 years to worry about smog checks
hero782 is offline   Send a private message to hero782 Find more posts by hero782 Add hero782 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #25
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by hero782 View Post
I don't think so, I know my R2C intake, kinetix intake manifold, Greddy catback, and y-pipe are not CARB certified so I'll just add another another thing to my list . Plus I still have 3 years to worry about smog checks
LOL,damn California!!

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top