Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

View Poll Results: Check Enging Light
I have headers with a CEL codes 4 36.36%
I have headers without any CEL codes 1 9.09%
I have High Flow pre-cats with CEL codes 4 36.36%
I have High Flow pre-cats without any CEL codes 2 18.18%
I have 02 Simulators with my headers 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM   Thread Starter #1
Mile High Maxima
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 33
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
Default CEL / SES Codes After Header Install

After installing Cattman Headers on my 2005 SE in 2009, I have never been able to clear my Check Engine Light/CEL, also referred to as Service Engine Soon light (SES)

This thread is for research and possible resolution of any and all codes after installing headers. All makes.

This info is from my previous thread while trying to use the O2 simulators that were sold on the big .org as a group buy. I have yet to install these simulators. Much this involved my friend and former Maxima owner Oolatec. He upgraded to a nice G37xs Thanks! Also thanks to Athlon Omega for his help.

I have tried to pull the info out of my old thread that I thought would help in this research.

List your codes:

Mine have been:

P1051
P1168 Closed Loop Control (Bank 2)
P1273 - Air/fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 lean shift monitoring
P1284 - Air/fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 rich shift monitoring

All codes that we know of

P1038 Bad AFR sensor rear sensor?
P1051
P1168 Closed Loop Control (Bank 2)
1273 Air/fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 lean shift monitoring
1283 Lean code from front AFR sensor bank2
1284 Air/fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 rich shift monitoring

Bank1 is near the firewall & Bank2 is near the radiator. ----- I believe this is accurate, in not, let me know I will change it. There is also a sticky on this topic, (How to Keep Check Engine Light (CEL) After Header Install )
I have read it, but still thought creating this thread could help

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
conblac (11-16-2011), NiZMo1o1 (11-16-2011)
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 PM   Thread Starter #2
Mile High Maxima

Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: CEL / SES Codes After Header Install

Originally Posted by Oolatec View Post
.. Right now I'm running with P1283 and P0138 with one of the dual channel sims installed.

I just got a new primary o2 sensor delivered today (BOSCH) and I'll install it tomorrow and reset the ECU.

I'm leaning towards the sensor being the problem instead of a vacuum leak.

I'll have to do more digging concerning the P0138. But according to o2simulator.com, the dual channels should work for Maximas up to the year 2004.

Dual output intercepts the signal for both secondary sensors. 2 signal wires (for each sensor) plus one heater, and one ground (only one each needed for just one sensor).

We have to differentiate where the codes are coming from, the front sensors or those moved/re-installed behind the catalytic converter in the Y-pipe.

Click the image to open in full size.

Primarys go in here

Originally Posted by athlon omega View Post
If you look at the first page of this thread by The Presence

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...-oh-myyyy.html

The first pic shows the front header with the primary O2 sensor attached.

The next two pics are of the rear header by the firewall. Notice the primary sensor location in the first pic and a port to the EGR on the middle pipe of the rear header on the second pic?

Originally Posted by Apollos2 View Post

Two yellow lines connect are the EGRs and the single is the AF sensor port.
Well since the AF go in before the cats I wonder why we are having issues with all of these front sensors. Is just the extra air passing through since the exhuast is that much more free flowing? It will be great if those spacers work out.
Click the image to open in full size..

Talked to my tech today, he said the AF sensor are before the pre-cats on the stock manifolds, which is good. Look at the pic I posted of the headers, there are two openings one on the three in one pipe and then one on top of the header in the middle pipe. EGR valve.

The too lean, too rich codes may be false because the car is looking for stock measurements. After a dyno tune and getting the air/fuel ratio corrected we may be able to ignore those. The bad sensor codes etc may be accurate. Those primary sensors aren't cheap.

I still need to find out which sensors throw which codes. I think anything behind the cat we can 02 sim out.

So both codes that I have the P1283 and P1274 are both primary codes? Dang! I'm sitting here with two useless O2 sims then.

Found out both are my codes are primary, so I can't use them. The tech told me that both of my primary sensors are detecting too much air in the system. The pre-cats helped restrict the amount of air that came in contact with the sensors. With those gone, you have the sensors in direct contact with the rush of air that they are now exposed to. He has an idea. Using an o2 sensor adaptor can push the sensor back about an inch or so. This will allow them to detect less air thus theoretically not setting off the CEL.
Okay that makes sense, I was wondering about that. I just couldn't find a pic of the stock headers to see where the AFR (primary sensors) plugged in. Maybe someone could toss in a pic of the stock manifolds.

It also makes sense because more that one of us is getting that same primary sensor failed code. I dont think it will be a good thing if we have to keep replacing them. BUT, how critical are they to system? I am guessing they are fairly important to how the car runs. If you remember my tech put in some 350z sensors in my car and the power just wasn't there.

The post cat O2 sensors on the other hand, I don't think they are very critical, hence the 02 simulators.

The primaries control air/fuel mixture... either running too lean or too rich isn't all that good for the engine.

Some spacers/non-foulers just may work.

The thing is, the P1283 code is a lean code... that's what I was getting before I replaced the front primary by the radiator. Now, I'm getting a rich code (P1274) for the sensor on the rear manifold by the firewall.

The Z guys are having the same issues actually...

http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...1283-p302.html

SPACERS
Ok. Don't get confused, but this is what the tech explained to me. The sensor on the rear header toward the firewall is triggering the front sensor to come on as well. However, my primary culprit is the rear one. These things are so dang sensitive. Here's a pic of the adapter off of ebay. It's like $15 shipped.

SPACER UPDATE
Update: It didn't work. The light still came on with the same codes. They used the longer adapter, the one pictured in this thread on the rear primary sensor. That was the sensor tripping off the light. The tech was saying the only alternative is to have the ECU flashed to read the O2 sensors at the higher ratio so as not to set off the light. Has anyone with an 05 and up maxima with the Cattman headers NOT had a CEL go off?

Well I think the key is to get the right Air/Fuel ratio via a tune and SAFCII because the stock AF sensors are looking for stock readings. NOT large quanities of air because of spacers, intakes, headers and no cats. I think we will probably always be outside of the OEM, maybe 350z sensors because they do fit.

Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 03:13 PM   Thread Starter #3
Mile High Maxima

…On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...nsor&x=16&y=18

$84 here on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Found it for $97 here:http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...l&N=4294963159

BOSCH OE TYPE SUPER CLASS OXYGEN SENSOR, 5-WIRE -- 15.4 in. wire length, wideband; Constructed of premium ceramic technology that incorporates Zirconium or Titania and Yttrium for superior protection against mechanical and thermal shock; Its patented catalytically activated fine particle filter prevents contamination for extended life and ensures precise voltage to the engines emission control computer, while a second filter doubles protection against exhaust gas contamination, thereby increasing sensor life; Prevents premature failure of the catalytic converter; Snug fitting OE-style silicone boots ensure proper fit, function and appearance; Rigorously tested for perfect performance while saving money in fuel costs; Direct plug-in, no cutting or splicing required.
NOTE LIFESPAN ON THESE ARE 100K
Fit Note: 5 Wire, Check or Replace Interval: 100, 000 Miles.
At 87,000 mine could very well be going out. Something for all of us to consider.

Okay I replaced my AF sensor by the radiator, tech said it didn't look particularly bad but I had 3 codes against it and you cannot tell by looking at them, it's the internals of the sensor that would fail.

I drove it all the way home, no codes, picked up the wife, she wanted the A/C on and within 5min I had a code. I don't know what it is. My tech said the next step is to put the 0/2 simulators in because those rear sensors are can trip the front. He called them the "tattle tale" of the sensors. I did get better gas mileage all the way home.

I gotta find out what code I threw but my next step is to get the 02 sim installed.

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz View Post
has anyone measured what voltage the sensors are sending to the ecu on a stock maxima and what voltage is going to the ecu on a aftermarket header equipped maxima? If the modded one sends higher voltage then a resistor would fix the problem. If however the voltage is lower on a modded max then it would be a bit harder. Or is it a case where at idle the voltage is fine but goes to hell when driving?

Okay got my dyno tune today. My A/F was off. Found something interesting. The AF sensor in Bank2 which I had replaced last week was showing a correction factor of 1%. The AF sensor in Bank1 which is original to the car was correcting 18-21%. We suspect this one is bad as well and I'll be getting it replaced soon. Both of those sensors should be correcting around the 1% range.

I didn't get my 02 simulators in last night. We will get those in when I put the new AF sensor.

Also just got back from the track, car was running way slower (.5sec) the at the Tuner Mayhem (see post in track section) I've got a feeling it has something to do with the AF sensor in Bank1. I'll be glad to replace it.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...-please-4.html
p1148=closed loop bank 1
p1031=A/F Ratio sensor meter
p1283=A/F ratio lean bank 2
p1284=A/F ratio rich bank 2.

Well, as far as I know, Deus doesn't have any codes... and Ramberg doesn't (but he has the HotShot headers I think)... and Chern?
I haven't heard from them in this thread, and if you check the Sim thread, Ramberg and Chern had both ordered the sims. Dusu did not that I can see, I'll have to check the header thread and see what I find there. (He has on 04 6spd Manual)

Even if Dues, Ramberg and Chern don't have issues and Apollos2, Oolatec and Athlon Omega do that's 50% not to mention a whole bunch of Altima guys. I do think this is resolvable we just have to figure it out.

I ended up getting my other AF sensor replaced, So now I have two brand new upstream AF sensors. I was code free for about a day.

Codes returned:
P0420
P1273
P0057

I just called my tech, it's time to finally installed the O2 simulators and see what happens.

Not sure the sim will fix the P1273, as that's from the primaries... I've given up on fixing the P12xx codes, and just accepted that it's the consequence of getting headers. Unless I want to fork over $500-600 for an Osiris tune (A local shop would be able to do it)... but I'll only resort to that if I still have the car when I'm due for emissions testing. We will see.

As for the other codes, good luck with everything, and keep us posted!

10/13/2009
Okay talked to my tech today. He agrees with what you are saying. The primary codes will probably not b e fixed by O2 sims. He has been in Advanced Electric Training this week for Nissan. He was talking to the instructor about this.

He believes a reflash of the ECU is the only way this will get fixed because the ECU keeps looking for stock measurements from the AF sensors….

Okay been checking into the Uprev, here is what they said:

"We're still trying to find a Pro Tuner shop in CO. I hear alot of talk, but no one wants to see to bite so far. The 2005 Maxima should have the newer style ECU so our product should work with it, but you'll need to find a shop that can dyno tune it as we don't offer base tunes for the Maxima yet."

Unless someone knows otherwise. Anyone working with Uprev on an 05 Maxima?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:16 PM   Thread Starter #4
Mile High Maxima

Niz..... you said you haven't had any issues, what year is your car?

What does the EGR do? I am still using mine.

I would be interested in any voltage reading info you have have and how it might pertain to the CEL issue.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #5

Official Member #: 296

Reputation Level: 10
conblac is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Well I think the key is to get the right Air/Fuel ratio via a tune and SAFCII because the stock AF sensors are looking for stock readings. NOT large quanities of air because of spacers, intakes, headers and no cats. I think we will probably always be outside of the OEM, maybe 350z sensors because they do fit.
Great info here...this may be the source of SES lights coming back on after all is done. I'll dig deep into this some more and try a few things.... I guess then my next question is- Is it possible to 'flash' the ECU to read higher parameters than the factory setting??? If this is possible, will the SAFC or some other do the job with ease???

Much obliged, pardna!

Last edited by conblac; 11-16-2011 at 04:49 PM.
conblac is offline   Send a private message to conblac Find more posts by conblac Add conblac to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 PM   Thread Starter #6
Mile High Maxima

Originally Posted by conblac View Post
Great info here...this may be the source of SES lights coming back on after all is done. I'll dig deep into this some more and try a few things.... I guess then my next question is- Is it possible to 'flash' the ECU to read higher parameters than the factory setting??? If this is possible, will the SAFC or some other do the job with ease???

Much obliged, pardna!

No the SAFCII will not "flash the ECU", as far as I know there is no one who will flash our ECU/ECM anymore. The SAFC we can use to tune the air/fuel ratio but I have one installed and it hasn't done anything to resolved the CEL>
Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Premier Member

Official Member #: 11

Reputation Level: 41
CleanMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutCleanMaxx has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Visit CleanMaxx's Twitter Visit CleanMaxx's YouTube

Im in the proccess of trying the non foulers. A very cheap fix. If it works Ill let you know.
CleanMaxx is offline   Send a private message to CleanMaxx Find more posts by CleanMaxx Add CleanMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 PM   Thread Starter #8
Mile High Maxima

Do it! Let us know

Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

No the SAFCII will not "flash the ECU", as far as I know there is no one who will flash our ECU/ECM anymore. The SAFC we can use to tune the air/fuel ratio but I have one installed and it hasn't done anything to resolved the CEL>
Well UpRev is the only option at this point.

I thought there were a few members going this route, I have not heard any reviews but these are the guys for a flash.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 PM   Thread Starter #10
Mile High Maxima

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
Well UpRev is the only option at this point.

I thought there were a few members going this route, I have not heard any reviews but these are the guys for a flash.
Is any one using Uprev? Please chime in if you are.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Is any one using Uprev? Please chime in if you are.
that's the problem, not enough Maxima guys venue into ecu tuning.

But I do know the UpRev can do a lot to get rid of codes, esp the b15 sentra guys
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2011, 02:38 AM   #12
Official Member

Official Member #: 2119

Reputation Level: 9
mightymax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
that's the problem, not enough Maxima guys venue into ecu tuning.

But I do know the UpRev can do a lot to get rid of codes, esp the b15 sentra guys
I thought this was the case as well. I contacted Uprev and I was told that yes they can eliminate the CEL; however; after doing do when you plug in for emissions, you will not pass as the computer will say something along the lines of "test incomplete" or "monitor not supported", basically they just block it they don't fix it
mightymax is offline   Send a private message to mightymax Find more posts by mightymax Add mightymax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2011, 04:04 AM   #13

Official Member #: 283

NlSMOwhiteMAX3.5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have headers y pipe combo so no cats and I have the simulator installed and I still have the light. Maybe it's the tuning issue you were talking about. Don't know what to do next.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM   Thread Starter #14
Mile High Maxima

Originally Posted by mightymax View Post
I thought this was the case as well. I contacted Uprev and I was told that yes they can eliminate the CEL; however; after doing do when you plug in for emissions, you will not pass as the computer will say something along the lines of "test incomplete" or "monitor not supported", basically they just block it they don't fix it
Wow that would be bad, thanks for sharing that info. Clearing it that way is no better that removing the light bulb behind the CEL.

Ultimately what we are looking for is something to not just clear it but actually fix the cause, I would still like to know if I have a legit issue with the car and right now I can't know that from the CEL cause it's always on.

Maybe the first question is:
What is causing it?------------->I find it strange that one of my AFR says the car is running to rich, the other says its running lean. Is that even possible?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:11 AM   Thread Starter #15
Mile High Maxima

Originally Posted by NlSMOwhiteMAX3.5 View Post
I have headers y pipe combo so no cats and I have the simulator installed and I still have the light. Maybe it's the tuning issue you were talking about. Don't know what to do next.
Tells us about the Sims? What year is your car and which headers are you running? Have you pulled the codes lately, which ones do you have?

I think I will go over to Autozone Sat and pull/clear all my codes then see what comes back.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #16
Official Member

Official Member #: 3022

Reputation Level: 20
05vk56 will become famous soon enough05vk56 will become famous soon enough

The defoulers and sims will not cure the problem, but rather mask it, as stated earlier, hence the reason for running pig rich. With headers or stock, the sweet spot numbers for the afr's at idle should be 13.5-14.0 and no lower than 11.2 WOT. The only cure is a tune, unfortunately, Uprev has the market cornered in that department for nissan, or you can go with a stand alone unit, which is expensive, or you can purchase the tuner version of uprev and tune it yourself. Please don't think I am here to promote them, cause I'm not, on my truck uprev was the only cure for the same thing you guys are experiencing now. I will load up a log of my recent tune when I get home today.

Last edited by 05vk56; 11-17-2011 at 02:05 PM.
05vk56 is offline   Send a private message to 05vk56 Find more posts by 05vk56 Add 05vk56 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #17

Official Member #: 283

NlSMOwhiteMAX3.5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apollos- I have the cattman headers and racingline y pipe.

The simulator was bought off a member. It was a small plastic square with an led in it and I believe 4 wires coming out.

2 black and 2 white. Each wire went to a different sensor. 2 on the front and 2 on the rear. It's tough to give details because 1) it was a couple months back, and 2) the shop did install and I only know what they told me. I had them install it with the headers?

As for codes I'm not sure of all of them. Again, they did everything. I remember seeing about 4 or 5 of them having to do with bank 1 for sure but that's all I really remember. Sorry it's not too specific.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:57 PM   Thread Starter #18
Mile High Maxima

Originally Posted by 05vk56 View Post
The defoulers and sims will not cure the problem, but rather mask it, as stated earlier, hence the reason for running pig rich. With headers or stock, the sweet spot numbers for the afr's at idle should be 13.5-14.0 and no lower than 11.2 WOT. The only cure is a tune, unfortunately, Uprev has the market cornered in that department for nissan, or you can go with a stand alone unit, which is expensive, or you can purchase the tuner version of uprev and tune it yourself. Please don't think I am here to promote them, cause I'm not, on my truck uprev was the only cure for the same thing you guys are experiencing now. I will load up a log of my recent tune when I get home today.

So you are saying that without any tuning we run rich automatically once we put headers on? I would think that there would be a tendancy to run lean since we are passing so much more air through the system. BUT I agree with you, I still believe my car is running rich even with a dyno tune and SAFCII. Especially at the lower RPMs. That is just a guess on my part though. I paid for a tune a couple times so I'm supposed to be tuned.

With headers or stock, the sweet spot numbers for the afr's at idle should be 13.5-14.0 and no lower than 11.2 WOT. ------------That is good to know, I'll see if I can confirm one way or the other.

The only cure is a tune, unfortunately, Uprev has the market cornered in that department for nissan,-----------Help me understand, so if I had an Uprev tune, my CEL would clear? Apparently the SAFCII isn't enough?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:15 PM   Thread Starter #19
Mile High Maxima

Originally Posted by NlSMOwhiteMAX3.5 View Post
Apollos- I have the cattman headers and racingline y pipe.

The simulator was bought off a member. It was a small plastic square with an led in it and I believe 4 wires coming out.

2 black and 2 white. Each wire went to a different sensor. 2 on the front and 2 on the rear. It's tough to give details because 1) it was a couple months back, and 2) the shop did install and I only know what they told me. I had them install it with the headers?

As for codes I'm not sure of all of them. Again, they did everything. I remember seeing about 4 or 5 of them having to do with bank 1 for sure but that's all I really remember. Sorry it's not too specific.
No this helps.

So you are 04-06 with Cattman headers, no cats anywhere. Pretty much same as me.

You installed the sims, it was probably these:
http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...al-output.html

Post #108 has some instruction for install on 4th and 5th gens. Check page #7 as I did a lot of posting there trying to figure these things out. I never could get a straight answer and my Tech couldn't figure them out.

Then I see this post is the last one in there: I guess I'm not surprised they didn't work.

Originally Posted by GeoKohler View Post
I know this is an old thread but for god sakes don't try to simulate your primary O2 sensors unless you have a completely separate Air Fuel management system. The 2 O2 sensors in the front and rear banks regulate the air fuel ratio to the front and rear banks of cylinders. O2 simulators are only used to prevent the MIL light from going off when you install a test pipe in place of your CAT! If you were to try to simulate your primary O2 sensors it would either burn up from running too lean or get 5MPG and run like a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine. That's why it says right in the ad,"Not for primary O2 sensors". A better solution if you want to run a test pipe is to either weld in a 90 degree O2 bung into the test pipe or just weld in a regular bung and use a Magic No Foul or any other type of spacer to keep the sensor directly out of the Shyt stream so it doesn't puke. If you insist on deleting the rear O2 sensor on a Max you have to simulate the 5 ohm resistive load on the heating element too not just the .2 to .8 volt randomly fluctuating reading that is normally produced by the actual O2 sensor in a properly functioning catalytic converter. You can build your own simulator for under $10 bucks using a 555 timer IC as an astable multivibrator and a 10 Watt 5 ohm resistor. If you are not electronic savvy just weld in a 90 degree bung and slap it in... Just a thought....
Peace

Old 11-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
Official Member

So you are saying that without any tuning we run rich automatically once we put headers on? I would think that there would be a tendancy to run lean since we are passing so much more air through the system. BUT I agree with you, I still believe my car is running rich even with a dyno tune and SAFCII. Especially at the lower RPMs. That is just a guess on my part though. I paid for a tune a couple times so I'm supposed to be tuned.

It would be reasonable to think that, with the freeing of exhaust gases but the ECU is compensating for the increase in air flow by adding more fuel, and that fuel is not measured, cause the ECU does not have a set parameter for it, so it guesses. If you were running lean, you would hear the motor pinging, from the lack of fuel. Next time you are in the car, let warm up to operating temp, give it some gas while parked, and you will see the excess of gas in the exhaust stream, and you will also smell it, it is like a sweet vapor coming from the exhaust.

With headers or stock, the sweet spot numbers for the afr's at idle should be 13.5-14.0 and no lower than 11.2 WOT. ------------That is good to know, I'll see if I can confirm one way or the other.

I will attach some of my old logs, 3 to be exact and will label them for you guys to see.

The only cure is a tune, unfortunately, Uprev has the market cornered in that department for nissan,-----------Help me understand, so if I had an Uprev tune, my CEL would clear? Apparently the SAFCII isn't enough?
With Uprev, either from a pro tuner location, or from them, or your own uprev pro tuning, which is the program you can tune yourself, you would be able to get your afr's numbers in the sweet spot, and also use it to tune for any additional mods that you add to your car, whether it be forced induction, cams, custom intake manifold, exhaust. It applies to 2004 and up Max.
05vk56 is offline   Send a private message to 05vk56 Find more posts by 05vk56 Add 05vk56 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2011, 05:32 PM   Thread Starter #21
Mile High Maxima

With Uprev, either from a pro tuner location, or from them, or your own uprev pro tuning, which is the program you can tune yourself, you would be able to get your afr's numbers in the sweet spot, and also use it to tune for any additional mods that you add to your car, whether it be forced induction, cams, custom intake manifold, exhaust. It applies to 2004 and up Max.
That sounds awesome BUT do you know so if I had an Uprev tune, my CEL would go away?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #22
Official Member

As I stated before, I want to post up my logs, but the file is to big, so anyone that wants to see them, PM me your email, and I'll gladly send them to you. You will want to pay attention to lines B, C, D, E, and V. B and C, are the AFR correction, D and E are the AFR numbers, where your numbers should be at, and V is the speed of the truck.

The first link is to my 1st tune, running sock exhaust manifold, with just an INJEN intake and flowmaster muffler.

The second one is after the header install,

The third is the tune after my header install.

I have to redo some logs, cause I recently had Uprev do a line pressure tune, basically it is increasing line pressure in the transmission at WOT, so the clutches grab quickly; like the transgo shift kit, without having to mod my valve body, which I will be doing soon, when the funds become available.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
Official Member

That sounds awesome BUT do you know so if I had an Uprev tune, my CEL would go away?
Once your afr's are corrected, your CEL will go away, unless of course you decide not to run cats, then you will have the CEL come back on. The secondary sensors, or O2 sensor have to be after the cats to get proper readings.

Last edited by 05vk56; 11-17-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 PM   Thread Starter #24
Mile High Maxima

Any chance we can get a MODs assistance with this? Post up the log for everyone to see?

As I stated before, I want to post up my logs, but the file is to big, so anyone that wants to see them, PM me your email, and I'll gladly send them to you. You will want to pay attention to lines B, C, D, E, and V. B and C, are the AFR correction, D and E are the AFR numbers, where your numbers should be at, and V is the speed of the truck.

The first link is to my 1st tune, running sock exhaust manifold, with just an INJEN intake and flowmaster muffler.

The second one is after the header install,

The third is the tune after my header install.

I have to redo some logs, cause I recently had Uprev do a line pressure tune, basically it is increasing line pressure in the transmission at WOT, so the clutches grab quickly; like the transgo shift kit, without having to mod my valve body, which I will be doing soon, when the funds become available.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #25
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 5

What file format are the logs? Is it an image or spreadsheet?

Not sure if we can, just getting more info.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top