Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Cattman Headers CEL Codes - P1148, P1168, P1031, P1051 (FIXED)

So I'm finally going to tackle on these infamous codes. They came on after my Cattman Headers install last year. I have Cattman headers with a Catless Y-Pipe.

My inspection for the 6thgen isn't due until October of next year so my goal is fix it all up way before then.

Cattman said that the 2004 Maximas (4AT) work a little different. Here's the quote:

IMPORTANT notes:
1. 04-06 Maximas and 05/06 Altimas require an EGR port on the back manifold and the 07/08 Maximas do not (prices vary).
2. Because installation of the headers requires removing the precats, its necessary to make the secondary O2 sensors happy (because they monitor pre-cat function) to avoid related error codes. In a 2004 Maxima, this can be done with an O2 simulator or by installing a main cat in the y-pipe, followed by two O2 ports for the secondary sensors. This is not confirmed, but it "appears" that an O2 simulator will not fool the ECU in 2005 and later Maximas and Altimas, so installing a cat and two O2 ports in the Y-pipe may be necessary to avoid a CEL.
I'm first going to try the 02 route since I already have a dual 02sim I got from a group deal last year. I'll keep this thread updated with any progress.

Code Explanations (Related To Aftermarket Headers):

Click the image to open in full size.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 09:18 PM   Thread Starter #2

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Headers CEL Codes - P1148, P1168, P1031, P1031

I'll be using this write up from Maxima.org to install the 02 sims. Hopefully this may be my solution as I have an 04 Maxima and its been known to work on them.

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster View Post
USE THIS WRITE-UP AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DEATH/INJURY/DAMAGE SUSTAINED BY YOUR USING THIS

O2 Simulator Installation (this is really just a rehash of BlackbirdVQ's write-up but for the fact that I included pictures that I took tonight)

This should work on all Cali spec Maximas. When dealing with codes P0420 and P0430, whether its voluntary removal of or just bad pre-cats, the O2 sim helps keep your SES/CEL/MIL light off and typically also prevents the ECU from storing any related codes. Rear 02 sensors only monitor if the cats work and do not affect the long or short trim fuel so basically, they do not affect drivability or the air/fuel ratio. Since the ECU is monitoring catalyst efficiency using the rear O2 sensors and the O2 sim simulates the proper voltage for the ECU to think that the cats are working. For more info, see O2 Simulator, E-commerce.

The wires tapped into are the wires BEFORE the connectors for the rear/downstream/secondary O2 sensors (so the length of wiring going from the ECM to the connectors). The dark blue connector connects to the WHITE wire shroud/harness and this is for the Bank 1 (rear bank) downstream O2 sensor. The green connector connects to the RED wire shroud/harness and is for the Bank 2 (front bank) downstream O2 sensor. Cut back the black wrap before each connector and you should see 4 wires:

Black: Ground
White: Signal
Red/Yellow: Power
Red/Blue: Heater

If you are going to simulate BOTH secondary O2 sensors, be sure to have bought a dual output sim with one black wire (ground), one red wire (power), and two white wires (signal).

The installation for a single output sim is the same, except you just tap into the signal of the sensor you want to simulate instead of both.

On ONE O2 sensor harness:

Using a wire stripper, strip about half an inch to expose the copper wires under the ground and power wires.

Tap the black wire from the O2 sim to the black (ground) wire.

Tap the red wire from the O2 sim to the red/yellow (power) wire.

Cut the white signal wire and connect one of the white wires from the O2 sim to the end that is going back to the ECU.

On the other O2 sensor harness:

Cut the white signal wire and connect the second white wire from the O2 sim to the end that is going back to the ECU.

Heater wires:

Leave em intact and both secondaries plugged into their respective connectors, the ECU still needs to read these or it will throw a code for heater malfunction or something.

You can now either solder the joints and wrap them up in heatshrink or electrical tape, or you can clear the codes and start the car to see if the sim is doing its job before soldering. The yellow LED on the sim should be blinking when the car is on/running.

Other links:

BlackbirdVQ's write-up: Dont purchase HID's from "Maximabest" - Maxima Forums

If you want to completely remove and simulate your secondary O2 sensors, even the heater wires: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=435399
Originally Posted by Puppetmaster View Post
Looks almost stock now:

Almost:

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 PM   Thread Starter #3

Default Re: Headers CEL Codes - P1148, P1168, P1031, P1031

Once I get everything sorted out, I'm going to meet with member @05vk56 to do some datalogging with Uprev.

For tuning, I believe this is the best option for us. I saw how it works on 05vk56's car and its awesome!!

Plus you can datalog your car, send the logs to uprev and they will send you a revised map via email which you can upload.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Default Re: Cattman Headers CEL Codes - P1148, P1168, P1031, P1031

Eddy , I know those o2 sims work fine for the 02-03 guys but also remember they have a different ECU than ours.

we have one customer that we did the turbo kit , its a o2 and I only seen this mod when he came to the shop, after that I read up on these o2 sims ( he said he hasn't have one issue ) again different ECU.

our ECU is a bit finicky , since no one has done this or attempt to do this, I wish you luck.

I can't say if it will or will not work, I just hope the ECU doesn't read all crazy
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM   Thread Starter #5

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
Eddy , I know those o2 sims work fine for the 02-03 guys but also remember they have a different ECU than ours.

we have one customer that we did the turbo kit , its a o2 and I only seen this mod when he came to the shop, after that I read up on these o2 sims ( he said he hasn't have one issue ) again different ECU.

our ECU is a bit finicky , since no one has done this or attempt to do this, I wish you luck.

I can't say if it will or will not work, I just hope the ECU doesn't read all crazy
I've seen a bunch of threads in the Altima forums and they've been good with just 02sims.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 PM   Thread Starter #6

Hey Alan, these are all secondary sensor codes right?

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

yes IIRC these are secondary sensor codes.

haven't strolled over on the Alty forums in awhile, if they are doing this mod with positive results than that's a good sign for us 6th gen guys
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 PM   Thread Starter #8

Well, well, well Check this out Alan... I have these SAME exact codes listed in (NTB04-024). See attached.

2004 MAXIMA & QUEST (4 SPD A/T OR 6 SPD M/T ONLY);
MIL "ON" WITH DTC P1031, P1051, P1148, P1168
A/F SENSOR HEATER / CLOSED LOOP

This just may be a promising solution. Now I just need to get my hands on a CONSULT II.

Do you know ECM Part Number is listed on the actual ECU itself? This I can do myself to check, but just want to know if the number is there before I do anything.

The Are The Valid ECM Part Numbers For This TSB To Be Applicable
4 speed A/T 23710-8Y100, -8Y101, -8Y102, -8Y103, -8Y104, -8Y105
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NTB04-024.pdf (382.7 KB, 10 views)

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-21-2011, 10:24 PM   Thread Starter #9

ECU P/N not listed. Will need to go through CONSULT II.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-21-2011, 10:28 PM   Thread Starter #10

Thank goodness for having such cool valuable resources and friends in NYC.

CONSULT II is on its way .

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
NiZMo1o1 (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Don't think its listed. Will need to go through CONSULT II.

I just scanned it with my bar code scanner on my Andriod,

it brought up

2A448 WA56V52ZR7WWT 14586229
2003-08-03
Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 PM   Thread Starter #12

I just scanned it with my bar code scanner on my Andriod,

it brought up

2A448 WA56V52ZR7WWT 14586229
2003-08-03
lol... Yeah I tried with my iPhone too!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 PM   Thread Starter #13

Also, some additional helpful info. These codes work in pairs (partners in crime). I'll be able to monitor the DATA in the CONSULT II.

P1148 & P1168

P1031 & P1051

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-21-2011, 10:54 PM   Thread Starter #14

So I looked through @Apollos2 thread and Maxima.org header thread and I don't have any of the PRIMARY CEL CODES with the exception of P1051 and P1168 which are secondary. But with mines they were picked up as a pair... taking me to the TSB I posted.

Let's see what happens.

Popular Codes From Cattman Headers. I marked the ones I have in RED from the overall common list.
P1038
P1051
P1168
P1238
P1273
P1274
P1283
P1284

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
sprocketser (09-19-2013)
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #15
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 33
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Cool, watching. But you know I moved the thread over here.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Apollos2; 11-21-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 11:03 PM   Thread Starter #16

Originally Posted by Apollos2 View Post
Cool, watching. But you know I moved the thread over here.
Just saw it.

Thanks!!

So you are getting PRIMARY 02 CODES right?

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #17
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

yeah maybe merge the threads but this is very good info for guys out there

I will say that when I did my headers, I made my o2's work maybe the place of the Top Speed Headers o2 bungs where in the right place , there is tension on the harness.

That's why for myself never encounter these issues.

This is good stuff for future reference in case I get a local owner with the same symptoms
Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 PM   Thread Starter #18

yeah maybe merge the threads but this is very good info for guys out there

I will say that when I did my headers, I made my o2's work maybe the place of the Top Speed Headers o2 bungs where in the right place , there is tension on the harness.

That's why for myself never encounter these issues.

This is good stuff for future reference in case I get a local owner with the same symptoms
Yessirr!!

I named them PART 1 and PART 2. I didn't want to clutter both up. But when find solutions I will merge them all so this way we have some accurate info. in one thread

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Apollos2 (01-18-2012), NiZMo1o1 (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 PM   Thread Starter #19

Default Re: Cattman Headers CEL Codes - P1148, P1168, P1031, P1031 (Part 2)

Man, the stuff we go through to MOD our cars. But once its all set and done... you have a and get

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 PM   Thread Starter #20

After reading through bunch of threads with members that installed CATTMAN and HOTTSHOT headers... these were the common CEL codes: P1273 & P1284.

I don't have any of these. So maybe my case is different?

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #21
Official Member

Official Member #: 808

Reputation Level: 9
IFuXwiTuZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

heres some info eddy dont know if its gonna help in n e way towards 6th gens but i have a 7th gen and i have o2 sim and no CEL (full cat delete)

you have magnaflows?

Last edited by IFuXwiTuZ; 11-22-2011 at 12:10 AM.
IFuXwiTuZ is offline   Send a private message to IFuXwiTuZ Find more posts by IFuXwiTuZ Add IFuXwiTuZ to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 AM   Thread Starter #22

Originally Posted by IFuXwiTuZ View Post
heres some info eddy dont know if its gonna help in n e way towards 6th gens but i have a 7th gen and i have o2 sim and no CEL (full cat delete)
Thanks man. Yeah, 02 Sim will be my next step as well. Just trying to try the smaller things first.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #23
Official Member

Official Member #: 3619

Reputation Level: 8
Ranmas2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Visit Ranmas2004's PS3 Profile

I have a 5th gen and Cattman headers and I installed a SIM the same time headers were installed. NEVER had any code whatsoever. I think it'll work. Where you going to get the sim from? This is where I got my dual Sims from:

O2 Simulator - Single or Dual*-*Mitsubishi 3000GT*/*Dodge Stealth Parts

I used the same writeup as you posted above.
Custom Turbo Setup w/ PTE 6266 Dual BB Turbo/Turbosmart Hypergate 45 Wastegate & Supersonic BOV/TurboXS Manual Boost Controller/Fidanza Flywheel/Haltech 350z Platinum Pro/Haltech Dual Wideband Controller with 2 O2 sensors/Custom IM/ 2k9 Maxima TB

404hp & 393 ft-lbs. 8psi
Ranmas2004 is offline   Send a private message to Ranmas2004 Find more posts by Ranmas2004 Add Ranmas2004 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2011, 12:25 AM   Thread Starter #24

Originally Posted by Ranmas2004 View Post
I have a 5th gen and Cattman headers and I installed a SIM the same time headers were installed. NEVER had any code whatsoever. I think it'll work. Where you going to get the sim from? This is where I got my dual Sims from:

O2 Simulator - Single or Dual*-*Mitsubishi 3000GT*/*Dodge Stealth Parts

I used the same writeup as you posted above.
I got my 02 sim from that big org group deal.

Which codes did you get PRIOR to the 02SIM install? Or did you just do everything at once?

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 11-22-2011, 12:33 AM   Thread Starter #25

So I went to a STOCK 6thgen just to evaluate some readings. I was just too curious that I went to a stock 6thgen in the middle of the night. Mind you I'm not even home yet. lol

PER TSB NTB04-024.pdf
Observe A/F SEN1 (B1) and A/F SEN1 (B2) voltage for 30 seconds while holding 2000
rpm no-load.

a. A/F sensor voltages should remain (most of the time) between 1.37 and 1.57 volts.

• If the engine rpm is held constant, voltage will fluctuate, but should remain in this range.

With a stock 6thgen... this was the reading and does not fall within the TSB bracket.

BANK 1 READINGS

BANK 2 READINGS

I'll be able to check mines sometime tomorrow. Hopefully they are in the 1.37 and 1.57 volts range.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread

Tags
cattman, cel, p1031, p1051, p1148, p1168

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust