Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:32 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5849

Reputation Level: 0
DatNikkaTempest is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Catalytic Converter problems

Hey everyone,

I'm not so mechanically savvy as to figure any of this out after even doing research online. I've been having a loss of power/acceleration, rattling noise when accelerating and slight drop in gas mileage, when I brought it to a mechanic, they told me that it is the catalytic converter, but they said they don't know which of the three is going bad and said they'd have to change them all.
I don't have the check engine light on and I don't know the mechanic in my new area all too well so I don't want to be taken for a ride. This is on top of them telling me I need to change my brake pads (all I went in for originally when asking them to look into the other issues), rotors and calipers.
Quoting me about 2700 for everything and that's a pretty huge hit to not do research and ask around (I am scheduling an appointment with another mechanic in the area to look into this soon).

I have an 08 Max SL with 56k mileage.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

Official Member #: 16756

LazyAF is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Catalytic Converter problems

Unless you know someone, personally, at a nationally recognized shop (Midas, Tuffy, etc) I tend to stay away from those because 9 times out of 10, they will always say something like, "oh you also need such and such and blah blah blah", yea, sure lol.

I think I also have this issue it happens in 3rd gear at mid rpms it will accelerate, then there will be a slight hesitation, and the acceleration slows, and then it passes and it's like normal again.

What I'm doing tomorrow is getting a QTP Electric Cutout exhaust in place of my 3rd cat (the one that comes right before the resonator) and supposedly, that will help the issue.

The mechanic I'm taking my car to owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima, same generation as mine, and my issue is almost identical to what he had, and he cut out his 3rd cat as well. He said after he cut it out and replaced it with just a straight pipe before the resonator his acceleration was quite a bit less restrictive.

But for all I know he could just be blowing smoke, but I will see for myself come tomorrow afternoon hehehe
LazyAF is offline   Send a private message to LazyAF Find more posts by LazyAF Add LazyAF to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #3

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 9
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

Until you get a code I can't honestly say where the issue is coming from...

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM   Thread Starter #4

Official Member #: 5849

DatNikkaTempest is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I'm finding strange is most people say they have a check engine light when their cats are bad...but the symptoms of a bad cat are definitely in line with my symptoms, and the mechanic told me it was the cats without specifying which one
Old 06-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 12
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

It might means he wants to make some bucks with you mate , but the worst is that one needs to remove them in order to know if they re good or not .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Official Member

Official Member #: 5770

Reputation Level: 8
Simplyred06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DatNikkaTempest View Post
That's what I'm finding strange is most people say they have a check engine light when their cats are bad...but the symptoms of a bad cat are definitely in line with my symptoms, and the mechanic told me it was the cats without specifying which one
I have the same symptoms as you do. I did everything performed tune up and still feels the same.
Simplyred06 is offline   Send a private message to Simplyred06 Find more posts by Simplyred06 Add Simplyred06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2015, 05:23 AM   #7

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 9
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

i guess it's precat change time....

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top