Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:25 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default California Catalytic Converter

Hey guys, recently I got p0420 and the EGR code as well. I was trying to shop around, but by the looks of it , there aren't any CATs that are legal in California. I wanna know what are my options apart from selling my kidney to buy stock pre cats?
MAnNy07 (12-16-2014)
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: California Catalytic Converter

Their s the RacingLine Performance Cats , but I don t know if they re Cal Compliant .

It s a fairly expensive , but oems also .

Maybe Amazon , ebay , RockAuto have good prices on oems .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 16004

Reputation Level: 5
MAnNy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Damn that sucks man. Are you going from aftermarket back too stock?
MAnNy07 is offline   Send a private message to MAnNy07 Find more posts by MAnNy07 Add MAnNy07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2014, 05:52 PM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

I just contacted racingline, and they said that their products are not CARB approved.
Sheeesh....looks like I'm stuck with the stock Precats...wait, do I have any other options?
Will I be able to get headers and put some CA approved cats on the Y-pipe and call it a day?
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Reputable Member

Maybe Magnaflow s , wonder if they re Cal Compliante also .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2014, 01:59 AM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

According to my research there are no aftermarket precats that are California CARB compliant....Soooo...I ordered the Racingline Precats from Canada...at least they shipped the cats to california.. The other places just don't ship to Cali at all, at least formally. I'm doing major maintenance on my car...Precats, Spark plugs, EGR valve service, Oil cooler O-ring replacement, New motor oil and Trans fluid drain and refill....It's gonna take a while, it seems. However I have couple of questions guys, I would appreciate it if someone could answer them.

I had two intermitent P1420 codes with P0420. So I was suspecting that my precats were f''cked and they were shedding pieces into the EGR valve. However I took the Egr valve off and dismantled the thing, but it was squeaky clean, no white ashy particles, except black soot. so I cleaned it up to some extent and put it back together...so my question is: do you guys think if the p0420 code was because of the O2 downstream sensor or just the precats are giving up without falling apart? my mileage is at 96K.

The second question is: Can I take the precats off using only jack stands or I need a damn lift? I'm nervous about it
Old 12-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
Reputable Member

Will look forward to updates . Got some work to do there !
Old 12-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #8

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

Wowzerss...

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2015, 04:46 PM   Thread Starter #9
Official Member

Alrighty, I have done everything that was due maintenance wise and I had a mechanic change the precats and NGK O2 downstreams. No check engine came on after the replacements and I'm happy with that. However I was getting really bad gas mileage 21MPG mostly highway drives, so I got suspicious and decided to look into it. I started to monitor the O2 sensors with the live data from ECU and I foound that the voltages never added up, the way the sensors were working was really confusing, The car was reportedly running rich even though I had new spark plugs, new oil, clean airfilter and cleaned up EGR valve, etc. The car still felt like it was sluggish and hesitant, which annoyed the heck out of me....On WOT the car would bug down and leap and then bug down again...So my first theory was , maybe the ECU is not reset after the job that's why it's using the old established map from when the precats were old. So I decided to reset everything, so I took the battery cables off(both positive and negative) and left it for couple of hours. Then when I got back to the car I inspected the vacuum hoses and everything was fine. I hooked up the battery and started the car, and went back in the engine bay trying to find a hissing sound, I could hear a faint hissing but it wasn't coming from the manifold where the vacuum hoses connect. I went to the airbox and there was the problem, The rubber tube connecting the throttle body to the air box was dislodged from the airbox and was loose on the throttle body as well... I'm not sure if it was me or the mechanic who forgot to tighten the duct, but anyways, luckily I found the reason why the sensors were reading rich and that was the pirate air going into the intake manifold. I test drove the car and I can say with confidence, my Max is back to being a real Max. It pulls linearly hard and the gas mileage shows some improvements. Since I reset the ECU it's too early to say if the gas mileage is completely up.

So the moral of the story is: If your gas mileage sucks and your car bugs down while you have done your maintenance, before doing anything, check the duct on the airbox for cracks or looseness. That's the easiest step of all.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #10
Reputable Member

Gee , hope you ll fix this mate !