Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:55 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 15684

Reputation Level: 0
scarry.harry1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Bank 1 pre-cat issues..

I purchased the a replacement bank 1 pre-cat. The car was throwing the p0420 code. I followed the steps to replace from searching here as well as the just answer thread. As soon as I went to remove the 2 lower bolts I ran into problems both bolts didn't want to come loose. I managed to remove one of the stripped bolts. the other bolt is mangled beyond removal . I have used the extraction kits from your typical auto parts store with no luck. I am open to any suggestions to complete this task as I hate seeing the cel.

What can I do to remove the bolt? Will I need to remove the manifold as well? I also was unable to reach the top bolts after removing the heat shield bolts. I did find out that on a thread here they removed the upper plenum and the A/F components. Any other tips or suggestions?

I searched for a how to online for removal of the manifold. I didn't find much. Am I able to remove the manifold with the cat still attached?
scarry.harry1 is offline   Send a private message to scarry.harry1 Find more posts by scarry.harry1 Add scarry.harry1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1556

Reputation Level: 9
bryanrt360 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
Default Re: Bank 1 pre-cat issues..

Originally Posted by scarry.harry1 View Post
I purchased the a replacement bank 1 pre-cat. The car was throwing the p0420 code. I followed the steps to replace from searching here as well as the just answer thread. As soon as I went to remove the 2 lower bolts I ran into problems both bolts didn't want to come loose. I managed to remove one of the stripped bolts. the other bolt is mangled beyond removal . I have used the extraction kits from your typical auto parts store with no luck. I am open to any suggestions to complete this task as I hate seeing the cel.

What can I do to remove the bolt? Will I need to remove the manifold as well? I also was unable to reach the top bolts after removing the heat shield bolts. I did find out that on a thread here they removed the upper plenum and the A/F components. Any other tips or suggestions?

I searched for a how to online for removal of the manifold. I didn't find much. Am I able to remove the manifold with the cat still attached?
I just did this a few months back. What a pita.. I had to torch all the bolts off the y pipe and the 3 from cat to y pipe to get that out from under the car. Than those 2 bottom bolts from manifold to cat were frozen as well, broke two sockets. I put some head on them and tried again. Snapped both of them. I used a grinder and ground them flat. I drilled them out of the manifold with a 1/8"bit and worked my way up to whatever size they were. For the top I removed the 2 piece wiper cowl and took the bolts out of the heat sheild. I moved the heat sheild around till I could access the top bolts and remove them. I didn't put the heat sheild back when I put it all back together. Either way it took way to long but saved a bunch of money..

Keep trying and good luck.

02' Dodge Dakota R/T CC Atlantic blue
11.52@118 450+ rwhp
bryanrt360 is offline   Send a private message to bryanrt360 Find more posts by bryanrt360 Add bryanrt360 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 PM   Thread Starter #3

Official Member #: 15684

Reputation Level: 0
scarry.harry1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Bank 1 pre-cat issues..

Originally Posted by bryanrt360 View Post
I just did this a few months back. What a pita.. I had to torch all the bolts off the y pipe and the 3 from cat to y pipe to get that out from under the car. Than those 2 bottom bolts from manifold to cat were frozen as well, broke two sockets. I put some head on them and tried again. Snapped both of them. I used a grinder and ground them flat. I drilled them out of the manifold with a 1/8"bit and worked my way up to whatever size they were. For the top I removed the 2 piece wiper cowl and took the bolts out of the heat sheild. I moved the heat sheild around till I could access the top bolts and remove them. I didn't put the heat sheild back when I put it all back together. Either way it took way to long but saved a bunch of money..

Keep trying and good luck.
The y pipe bolts came off easy and so did one of the underside cat bolts. I was wondering if taking the manifold off would be easier since I plan on doing the plugs soon as well. I tried moving the shield but couldn't see the bolt holes. It is quite a pita for sure.
scarry.harry1 is offline   Send a private message to scarry.harry1 Find more posts by scarry.harry1 Add scarry.harry1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top