Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Intakes, Headers & Exhaust

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 181

Reputation Level: 10
Smoken'07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Bad Gas Mileage/Rotten Egg Smell

So I've been doing some searching and not 100% sure of what is going on. I have an 07 SL with 76k on it. About 5k ago I really started to notice the car smelling like rotten eggs upon idle and under acceleration. I've also noticed horrible gas mileage. My issue at hand is that I drive about 6 minutes to work, so the car never really warms up. I haven't actually sat down and figured the gas mileage out but if I go by numbers, right now I'm at a 1/2 a tank with 150 miles. The most I can get out of a tank (getting down to a quarter) is about 250-275. That's without HWY all city. Again, mostly driving to and from work and some city driving here and there.
Upon acceleration, the car has a horrible rotten egg smell. Car blows out what I want to call smoke but it's not smoke. Say if I get on it to pass someone or something theres a quick cloud behind me. Almost under any driving situation it smells like eggs.
My issue is a) the gas mileage is stupid low. B) at times, the car feels a bit underpowered. c) the car smells of rotten egg salad at times. and D) I took it to a dealer about 3k ago for someother warranty work and had them look into the cats. They claimed they couldn't duplicate the problem of the smell stating it was sulfer burn etc. Asked what gas i was running and told them plus but run super once a month. Mistake since they turned around stating it calls for super. So....the last 3k I have been running super 100% with no noticeable difference. I have also used a couple bottle of lucas fuel additive that my uncle (mechanic for 30 years) swears by. How the hell can i convince the dealer that my cats are going with no codes being thrown?
Thanks for any advice in advance.
Smoken'07 is offline   Send a private message to Smoken'07 Find more posts by Smoken'07 Add Smoken'07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Bad Gas mileage/Rotten Egg smell

The rotten egg smell is a bad pre-cat. I guess that could cause the other issues as well.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: Bad Gas mileage/Rotten Egg smell

It definitely can cause the other issues.

So says Latinmaxima, so it shall be done!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:08 PM   Thread Starter #4

Default Re: Bad Gas Mileage/Rotten Egg Smell

only issue is I have is the stealership keeps saying they cant find anything wrong
Smoken'07 is offline   Send a private message to Smoken'07 Find more posts by Smoken'07 Add Smoken'07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 PM   Thread Starter #5

mpg is getting alot worse. 85 miles from a full tank and now between 3/4 and 1/2. awesome
Old 04-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
Official Member

Official Member #: 8487

Reputation Level: 7
Steezmuffin686 is an unknown quantity at this point

clogged cats...92% sure.
| 04 SE 6mt | ralco rz sts | shifter hacked 4" | no name cai | ebay catback | Racingline FSTB | Progress RSB | RoadMagnet springs (winter) | BC BR coilovers (summer) | SPC rear camber arms | 5% tint&banner | Hardwired passport 9500 | kicker 10DCVR12's | pioneer avh 280bt 6.2" | Hyfonics Brutus 1600w amp | Sherwood Carbon Fiber dash kit | OBX headers | G-coupe 18's | 5&20mm spacers | junction produce goodies |...more to come
Steezmuffin686 is offline   Send a private message to Steezmuffin686 Find more posts by Steezmuffin686 Add Steezmuffin686 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #7

Official Member #: 15122

Reputation Level: 0
Richrank is an unknown quantity at this point

Had the same issue with my cats due to clogging so I removed them and install headers and smell is gone and I get better gas mileage if I drive like a old lady.
Richrank is offline   Send a private message to Richrank Find more posts by Richrank Add Richrank to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top