Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:26 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 17586

Reputation Level: 0
SethAllen is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Vacuum cleaner type sound coming from engine area? Need advice!

Hi I am seth allen, and I have a question about this strange sound I am getting from my 6th gen! I am wondering if any of you have had a similar problem..

My 2007 6th gen has been making this very odd sound, I am going to link a youtube video tomorrow in attempt to catch the sound accurately.

When I start up, or accelerate my car has almost a vacuum cleaner type sound coming from it, I got this car in about October of 2015, and have only put about a thousand miles on it to this date.

When I bought it the dealership replaced the belt before I paid for it, because it was making a squeaking sound on startup, acceleration, and when idle.

I had assumed they knew what they were doing, and I checked the belt myself and it needed replaced, it was becoming very cracked, and it had been two years since it had last been replaced.

Since I got the car, this sound has just progressively been getting worse, and it sounds like it is coming from the belt area of the motor, from above looking down to the motor, it is in the lower left side towards the bottom of the motor, which is where my belt runs exposed, but it almost sounds like it has overtaken the entire engine.. It is very loud and noticeable, but I also hear a lot of cars having similar sounds to them.

I also occasionally smell a burning rubber smell, and this is accompanied by the sound that I am talking about. The sound really never "goes away" it just gets better and worse depending on what I am doing. Worse when I am at a lower rpm 0-2500 rpm, it is very noticeable.. But when I get to 3000 and higher it starts to go away and you hear the roar of the engine a lot more than this sound, but I think the engine wsound is just masking the whining sound. But when I am keeping at a constant speed or cruising, the sound isnt as bad, but when I accelerate gradually and dont floor it, it is very noticeable.

I also dont know if this is a problem with intake? Because it almost sounds like a whine whenever I accelerate, which makes me think that it has something to do with air entering the car, or it could be both who knows!

More or less my car sounds like trash! I want to fix it. I know it cant be the belt itself because it is almost brand new with hardly any wear on it, but I feel like it may be the tracks/pulleys that go with the belt. Or maybe it has something to do with the intake/cooling..
Thank you for the responses in advance! (I am kind of hoping this gives me an excuse to buy a CAI)

Also to help here is some information on the car

Year: 2007

Mileage: 129,000

Last Oil Change: ~1,000 miles around this past october

Belt change: ~1,000 miles around october

Recently in accident, left quarter panel replaced, no engine damage was found.

Had a mechanic just go listen to it, and said that it probably had something to do with the tensioner/pulley/tracks but I would have to take it in so he could look at it since the belt is so low.

No engine mods(That I know of)

Also my engine over heats sometimes but ONLY while sitting in park, and my engine will just progressively get more hot until my car kind of starts to shake and shuts off, and then I cant get it to turn back on until it cools off.
(not sure what thats about, although it isnt an issue as much now in the cooler months.) <--- I do not know if this has to do with this or not
SethAllen is offline   Send a private message to SethAllen Find more posts by SethAllen Add SethAllen to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2016, 05:14 PM   Thread Starter #2

Official Member #: 17586

SethAllen is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Vacuum cleaner type sound coming from engine area? Need advice!

Well looks like I solved this myself, I have came to the conclusion it was a number of things working together to make this sound, it does have something to do with the air intake, there is a tension problem with my belt, and I also have low oil. I am going to fix all these things and see if it makes any difference!
SethAllen is offline   Send a private message to SethAllen Find more posts by SethAllen Add SethAllen to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Official Member #: 17534

Rocinante is an unknown quantity at this point

Feel around back of engine for leaking valve covers (could explain burning smell)
Rocinante is offline   Send a private message to Rocinante Find more posts by Rocinante Add Rocinante to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #4

Official Member #: 17589

jbateman904 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit jbateman904's Facebook Visit jbateman904's Twitter Visit jbateman904's YouTube Visit jbateman904's LinkedIn

Rocinante... LOL great user name.

jbateman904
2007 Nissan Maxima SE
Glacier white/ glacier leather, ~85K, stock, S. FL born (12-06 build)
jbateman904 is offline   Send a private message to jbateman904 Find more posts by jbateman904 Add jbateman904 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2016, 07:08 AM   #5

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

1^ with leaking valve for burning smell..

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top