Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:18 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 14140

Reputation Level: 0
Ashneil is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Transmission Does Not Come Out Of Park

Hi, I have a 2004 maxima se with a 5spd auto, and I have a problem with my transmission. The shifter comes out of park and can move freely into R, N, D but the gears are not changing. When i change to reverse or drive, the dash still says my car is in park. It seems like someone messed up the shift lock because nothing happens when I try to click it. It's not the transmission because I can manually shift the transmission, with the lever underneath the battery into R, or D.

the only thread i could find related to my issue was the one below, but it does not have a clear solution for me.

Put Car Into Gear Wont Move!!! Help
Ashneil is offline   Send a private message to Ashneil Find more posts by Ashneil Add Ashneil to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 9697

Reputation Level: 6
Sammaxvq35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Transmission Does Not Come Out Of Park

Did you try changing cam sensors? I know #1 fixes when is stuck in 5th gear. But could work for your problem as well...good luck!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #3

Official Member #: 14007

secanonymous is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine did that a couple months back. My girlfriend spilled coffee on the shifter console (and didn't tell me) and it leaked down into the brake-shift safety solenoid.

My advice is to get in there and make sure everything is clean and lubed. You'll know it's working when you hear a click from the shifter console when you tap the brake in (P)ark. If it's shot, a new solenoid is ~$40.

If you want to drive it in the meantime, pull-out the little plug next to the (P)ark lettering and stick a long and slim object straight down to release the shifter manually (it's a blue tab, while holding it down shift the car). You'll have to push it down if you want to go from (R)everse-->(P)ark or maybe even (N)uetral-->(R)everse, so keep the long object with you in the car and keep this in mind in case you decide to try a quick K-turn with an oncoming truck.

-sec

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features.
secanonymous is offline   Send a private message to secanonymous Find more posts by secanonymous Add secanonymous to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #4

On second thought, and after re-reading your question. Are you sure it's not stuck in 5th gear?

You might want to check out this link about camshaft sensors and common problems.

But I'd figure out if there is a code thrown (check engine light) or pending code with a scanner or check this link out if you don't have a scanner.

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features.
secanonymous is offline   Send a private message to secanonymous Find more posts by secanonymous Add secanonymous to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2013, 07:05 PM   Thread Starter #5

when i put it in manual mode it says 1 on the dash but the transmission is still in park, so it is not in 5th. i cant get the car out of park so i cant even drive it anywhere, i will have to get someone to scan it for me at my house
Ashneil is offline   Send a private message to Ashneil Find more posts by Ashneil Add Ashneil to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #6

That's bizarre. It sounds like an ECU problem... perhaps moisture? Has the car been driving normal prior to this?

Try disconnecting the Positive (red) terminal on the battery, pushing it aside and turn on your headlights to completely drain the system. Let it sit for 15 minutes then reconnect the Positive terminal (make sure the headlights are off). Then check the gear engagement again.

Also while at the battery, follow the Negative Terminal wire down behind the battery and make sure it's securely attached to the transmission. If you're standing in front of the car and staring at the battery, the Negative terminal will consist of two thick black wires, follow it below with the battery tray with your hand (by reaching underneath the battery between the radiator and the battery) and feel for a solid connection.

Heres a link to a picture of what you're feeling for:
http://www.davegattis.com/valvebody/image004.jpg

It's the black wire with the yellow stripe in the upper right corner. Keep in mind that this picture shows the battery and battery tray removed, but you'll have enough space to reach for it. If your ground is broken it can cause all sorts of funky stuff to happen.

Let me know how it goes... I'm fascinated by how insanely complicated our cars are.
Coming from a 1999 Accord Coupe (4 cyl.), our Maximas are space ships.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:29 PM   Thread Starter #7

i checked for the connection, and everything seems fine and solid, but after taking off the terminals and trying again it still doesn't work. also my service engine light is on if that helps.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 PM   Thread Starter #8

does anyone know the cost of the cam position sensor.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #9

Yeah, you need that code from the check-engine light (CEL).

You don't need a scanner to pull the code--follow these instructions (they have to be done fairly exact) and get back to us with the code the car spits out:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.

2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)

3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.

4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.

5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)

The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.
You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.
Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

You can clear the code (and the annoying SES light) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while the SES light is blinking. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

Read more: http://my6thgen.org/f6/how-read-chec...#ixzz2gKsH0OWP

Old 09-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #10

The sensor is about $40–60 and there are two. They are available at your local parts store (e.g., Advanced Auto Parts, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.) and are fairly easy to replace with basic tools and some mechanical ability.

Get the check engine code first though. It would be nice to get some evidence to justify the purchase and (your) labor.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

Abused VQ
Sammaxvq35 (10-01-2013)
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top

Tags
2004, 5speed auto, 6th gen, automatic, shift lock, shifter, transmission

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning