Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 822

Reputation Level: 0
callisto is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
Default Timing Chain/Tensioner/Guide Rattling

I have the dreaded timing chain/tensioner/guide rattle. It makes the noise any time the engine is running.

My Maxima is a 2005 with 92,000 miles.

I have looked around my area and figured out that to have a shop do it would be financially impractical. It would cost me about $2500 to get it done. And the nearest Nissan dealer is about 200 miles and 3 hours away.

So I have done some research on these wonderful forums and found a couple really good threads on this problem.

First one is here: Timing Chain Tensioner Job - With Pics

My question for this thread: Is the list of parts all that I will need? Is there anything else needed?

Second one is here: Timing Chain Tensioner Tools... HELP!!!

The question for this one: Are these tools required? Without them will my timing get messed up? They are quite expensive for something I will use only once.

Apart from that, I'm fairly confident I can do the job. I have all kinds of normal tools, and a nice garage to work in, and an alternate mode of transport. And lots of time.

I just want to make sure I get everything I need to do the job right. I would hate to get everything torn down, find out I need something else, order it, then wait till it gets here.

Thanks for any suggestions and opinions.
callisto is offline   Send a private message to callisto Find more posts by callisto Add callisto to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Timing Chain/Tensioner/Guide Rattling

Paging Nizmo1o1!!!

(Can someone to a mention, I can't remember how to type his username)

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 56
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

@NiZMo1o1

------See How It Was Built------
Chemax (02-14-2012)
06BlckMax is offline   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

It is not that difficult in my opinion, but Ive done quite a few DOHC setups before. The biggest difficulty in doing timing tensioner/guides and chains on the VQ is the lack of room. but definately NOT as bad as some of the others I've done (PT Cruiser/ neon t-belt comes to mind imidiatelly)
It seems you have done the proper research so far.
Parts list is there depending if you want/need to change your ps/accessory belts
tools you can get without. I use a pin or allen key into the tensioners.

First thing first. If you don't own one yet, get a copy of the FSM. This will help you set up so that the motor will be in "time" when you fire her up Also, your biggest advantage is the fact that you have a different vehicle and time at your disposal.
Few tips here....Make sure you get all the 10mm bolts of the timing cover. And pry the cover of the cover guides very gently.... It is cast and will crack if caution is not exercised. Replace all the timing guides and tensioners, you can re-use the chains if you are tight on funds(depending if there is any damage to the links or not) and I would recomend replacing the water pump as well at your mileage. It will probably go another 100 thou miles as they are not a problem on nissans but since you are there, and the water pump sprocket might have been stressed by the chain slop... you might as well, up to you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you want to use a quality sealant to seal the cover and make sure that both the outer timing cover as well as the inner covers are very clean (brake clean) prior to applying silicone in order to prevent oil leaks down the road.

Double check all your work twice before bolting everything together.

Last, but in my opinion one of the most important steps when doing any haudraulic tensioners on any car......when you got everything back together Disable ignition/fuel injection system and prime the engine a for a 10 seconds or so. If you decided to disable FI, make sure that the vehicle stalls out prior to taking everything apart so that when you are priming the tensioners, the residual fuel in the lines does not fire the motor. Make sure that hydraulic tensioners are primed. Then connect your ignition/fuel injection fuse. Run the vehicle and inspect for leaks/issues.
Good luck. Props for taking this on. The only way to learn is to try. The satisfaction factor will be great. Take your time. If you have more questions just ask.
Dan
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 02-14-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Chemax (02-14-2012), smittybizzle (10-16-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

02-08 VQ Timing Cover Internals Parts Guide 101

just your regular tools and paper clips to hold the tensioner in place
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 PM   Thread Starter #6

Thank you for the help, guys! Now to do my taxes to get some money for the parts!

I also have hard shifts from either 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. I can't remember which. And every once in a while (pretty rarely) it takes a few seconds to shift from park to drive, then when it does its violent. I read on here that this could be caused by bad motor mounts and/or the transmission mount. Is this possible?

Also, how difficult is it to take the engine out of the car? I would assume pretty darn difficult. But would that be the best way to do this job? I have access to an engine hoist.
callisto is offline   Send a private message to callisto Find more posts by callisto Add callisto to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Premier Member

Official Member #: 224

Reputation Level: 15
KZ 259 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by callisto View Post
Thank you for the help, guys! Now to do my taxes to get some money for the parts!

I also have hard shifts from either 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. I can't remember which. And every once in a while (pretty rarely) it takes a few seconds to shift from park to drive, then when it does its violent. I read on here that this could be caused by bad motor mounts and/or the transmission mount. Is this possible?

Also, how difficult is it to take the engine out of the car? I would assume pretty darn difficult. But would that be the best way to do this job? I have access to an engine hoist.
if your tranny is delaying the shifts, its more the tranny problem than anything else. when was the last time you flushed/drained the old fluid? warming up your car in the morning would be a good idea so the car doesnt launch at a high RPM when you put it into drive. if the problem is violent, you might need to do a tranny swap

its not difficult to take the engine out, its just very time consuming to do. yeah, that would be the best way to do the timing chain job.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:07 PM   Thread Starter #8

I almost always let the car warm up before driving it. I have put about 10,000 miles on it since I bought it, and the only thing I have done to it is oil and air filter. Is there a dipstick for the trans fluid?

Is there a thread or guide on taking the engine out? I might consider that option if it isn't that hard.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by callisto View Post
I almost always let the car warm up before driving it. I have put about 10,000 miles on it since I bought it, and the only thing I have done to it is oil and air filter. Is there a dipstick for the trans fluid?

Is there a thread or guide on taking the engine out? I might consider that option if it isn't that hard.
This procedure is is outlined in the FSM (Factory Service Manual) Its raughly a 40 Step process, and not the easiest of motors to R/R.
One thing to keep in mind is the fact that while pulling the engine out to R/R timing components will increase your costs. I definately recommend getting a Hoist for this...as its so much easier,
-Fluids ( Coolant, ATF, Motor Oil) calls for AC discharge, but its not needed.
-Axle seals. (I replace them always. Few bucks not worth saving...
-Allignment. (even though the Max has a stud subframe design, alignment will be affected.
You will need someone to help you guide the Motor out and in for sure.
The good thing is that if you have a corresponding ratchet few extensions, flex head adapter, radiator hose pliers, fuel disconnect set and a Metric deep and shallow sockets ranging from 10-20mm, wrenches10-19mm plus a 36mm socket for the axle nuts... is all you need tool wise . Flex head sockets help, so does a cordless impact if you dont have a air.

-Dan
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 02-18-2012 at 02:46 AM.
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2012, 02:31 AM   Thread Starter #10

I found the FSM here: Index of /FSM/maxima/2005_Maxima

Good grief I really dd not want to do this. But I guess if you're going to do something, you might as well go all out.

Has Nissan even acknowledged that there is a problem? Is there any kind of recall or something?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

For the tranny it's the valvebody and not the transmission itself . You can get a new OEM valvebody or got with the transgo shift kit .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM   Thread Starter #12

Yeah, I didn't get to fixing this last spring. I am hoping to get the parts and get to it this winter since I can't use the car much (if at all) once the snow starts flying.

However, I need to use the car off and on this fall and for a long trip around christmas and new years, and I would like to try different oil to see if I can quiet it down some. I am using Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W20 in it right now, and it is due for a change. What viscosity should I try? Should I stick with the synthetic, or go back to dino?

Also, if I think I can do it, I may try to take the engine completely out. If I do this, where are all the mounts for the engine and transmission? What do they look like when bad? Are they expensive?

Do I need to remove the engine to replace the valve body for the transmission?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be prepared for when (or even if) I start this project.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

For the valve body all you need is ramps, a 10mm or 8mm allen socket, T40 torx bit , 12mm socket with an extension , pick , and 10mm socket . Very easy .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top