Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

View Poll Results: Have You Experienced This Issue Before?
2004 Yes Ive Had This Issue 41 37.96%
2005 Yes Ive Had This Issue 18 16.67%
2006 Yes Ive Had This Issue 10 9.26%
2007 Yes Ive Had This Issue 12 11.11%
2008 Yes Ive Had This Issue 4 3.70%
Never Experienced Any Issues With The Timing Chain 23 21.30%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:11 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Timing Chain Noise (The Infamous Engine Ticking)

Have you had this issue before? If so, please vote yes and describe what you ended up doing.

Symptoms:
  • When you start the car you hear a loud ticking noise coming from the engine bay nearby the washer fluid reservoir.
  • When you let the car warm up, the ticking goes away.
Note: In extreme cases the sound might always be there depending on how bad the tensioners are.

Solution:
  • Replace Bad Timing Chain Tensioners (Usually this is the MAIN problem)
  • Replace Full Timing Chain Assembly (In some cases or by personal preference)
Note: The Nissan Technical Service Bulletin for this is NTB07-042

Temporary Solution:
Most people get a fresh oil change to help reduce the crazy ticking noise. This was what I did when I had this noise. It took me a while to find someone reputable to do the work so until then I stuck with this temporary solution. If you experience any of the sounds in the first video then its definetly your timing chain tensioners and/or chain. You should look into having it permanently fixed. Most place will just tell you "you just need an oil change". Yes this will help alleviate the problem but not ultimately solve it.

Helpful Threads You Should Read:Additional Helpful Posts from Maxima.org

Originally Posted by Proceedbob View Post
Look up NTB06-079a, NTB07-042. It involves two of the three timing chains on the front of the engine, the nylon tensioner shoes wear through causing the tensioner piston to contact the chains causing the noise. Replacing them involves removing the engine from the car (easiest method), if you car is within the 60K drive train warranty get in in now as it will only get worse until a chain snaps that will take out your valve train and engine. This is an emerging problem with all 3.5VQ's in Maxima, Murano, and Altima's, nissan screwed the pooch on this one and I would imagine as thousands of these start showing up they will be forced to repair out of warranty. If you have any other questions PM me. http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...html?catid=317
Originally Posted by Proceedbob View Post
I would call Nissan North America and insist that they cover it as it is a design flaw with the tensioner, I believe it will eventually be treated as a out of warranty repair. You have nothing to lose by calling or writing, or better yet get your dealer to intervene, bring the service bulletin with you. It only involves about $350.00 in parts but the labor is 8-10 hours.
Click the image to open in full size.

Originally Posted by AscendantMax View Post
Alright, here's the replacement parts information as requested by some of you fellas. I typed it into Excel for easier viewing. This is what Nissan gave me when I took the car in for a diagnostic:

Originally Posted by turbizzy View Post
OK so I did this job today at work on a 2005 Frontier with 58K miles and thought i'd snap a few pics for you guys.

Here is what the bad tensioner guide looks like compared to a new one, notice how the guide has worn down to the metal piston thus causing the whine/buzzing sound.

Originally Posted by turbizzy View Post
Well guys thought i'd update this thread. Lately we've been getting in a few more VQs with a sorta small rattle type noise-not really the typical tensioner whine noise this thread is focused on. The rattly type noise sounds like the timing chain is loose, and is hella noticeable on startup for first few mins of runnin at idle then kinda goes away as oil warms.

Here's what we're finding, the primary timing chain's slack guide is breaking off from the top causing the plastic portion of the guide to slide downward and then the tensioner's plunger fully extends out past it's designed travel to try to take up the slack but can't so you end up with excessive slack in the primary chain. This also ruins the tensioner as it has a small wire lock that gets damaged which is to keep the plunger from bleeding down with the engine off.

This pic shows what happened.

The green lines show the peice of the slack guide that broke off.
The red arrow shows the direction the plastic slack guide slid downward
The blue line shows how the tensioner is supposed to line up to the slack guide
The purple lines show the damaged/missing anti-bleed down tensioner lock
Originally Posted by EZfrank View Post
I noticed my 2004 Maxima (90k miles) producing a high-pitched whine, and thought it might be a bearing somewhere, but took it in to the dealer and found out it is the timing chain tensioner. I was quoted about $1500 to fix it. After checking out some threads at Maxima.org, I contacted Nissan Customer Service , and was given a case number, and told a Regional Rep would follow-up. I am waiting to see what happens, but feel Nissan needs to step-up and fix post-warranty since it is a defect. Other than the timing chain issue, my 2004 has been a great car. Really, my only wish was that they had put better seats (more side bolstering) so that you don't slide around when you corner at speed.
Additional Helpful Information (Added January 12,2012)

Originally Posted by L36
Hello.
I though adding this bit of information could be crucial to the thread.

I was doing the job myself on an engine i was swapping. Long story short, i skipped a tooth on the mail chain in bank 1 because i did not perform a procedure one of the nissan tech at my dealer mentioned doing when you put together the car after the timing chain job.

Supposedly, the tech recommend to build up oil pressure on the tensioners by adding oil and then cranking the engine with the starter while the injectors are unplugged and the spark plugs are out of the car. The tensioners also depend on the oil pressure, and if there is not enough pressure in time in the tensioner, you might skip a tooth or two.

When i went back to do the job again, this time around; i did that procedure and this time everything is normal. Its also important that the both VTC solenoids are plugged into the engine harness when performing this procedure.

I'm positive that the first time i put the car by the marks, fairly confident it wasn't me being retarded at the time and skipping bank 1 by a tooth.
Just sayan, as going back and redoing the chain job is no cake.
Thanks.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread

Last edited by Digital; 08-27-2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added another video
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Timing Chain Noise (The Infamous Engine Ticking)

Haven't had this problem thankfully. Great info Eddy...

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #3

Official Member #: 88

Reputation Level: 11
durell_usmc is an unknown quantity at this point

had this problem and when i took i tto the stealership they tried to say it was cause i needed an oil change (i changed the oil the day b4), so I told them the tech was stupid and to have another tech look at it....yea that was my last work done on the car b4 my warranty went out lol i barley made that I was at like 95 96k, my warranty ran out at 100k
Old 09-18-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 502

Reputation Level: 10
Ascendantmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

This is the thread I made over on the big org when I was experiencing the problem. Lots of good info in there!

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ine-noise.html
Ascendantmax is offline   Send a private message to Ascendantmax Find more posts by Ascendantmax Add Ascendantmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 76

Reputation Level: 17
jsmithsole is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Guinness Record Holder  

/ Point Value: 15

Banner of The Month  

Had both of mine replaced just before my warranty was up! Exact symptoms mentioned above...
Old 09-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
The Bronx 6th Gen

Official Member #: 19

Reputation Level: 16
Blackoutt is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

eddy as you know mine is really bad.. any suggestions on who i can bring my car to to have it ficed?

...Team Street REVOLUZION...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyMaxx
Gearbox....Love your dog.
Quote:
Gear... Your dog kind of resembles Blackout a little if you ever meet him in person.lol

eddy... are you trying to hint something????
Blackoutt is offline   Send a private message to Blackoutt Find more posts by Blackoutt Add Blackoutt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 12:01 PM   Thread Starter #7

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Update first thread with videos!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 12:12 PM   Thread Starter #8

Originally Posted by Blackoutt View Post
eddy as you know mine is really bad.. any suggestions on who i can bring my car to to have it ficed?
I'll see if I can find someone to do this type of work. Depending on the mechanic it can take 3-6 hours. I've seen people do them super quick and others super not to quick LOL. But yeah I had the same exact noise as you. Better to replace as soon as possible but it might start wearing out the chain itself and then you have to replace the WHOLE ASSEMBLY!!!

You can ask Gary. I know he changed the entire timing chain assembly with the tensioners.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

The cheapest I found for this was $1,400 and it was at a Nissan Dealer. Outside mechanics didn't wanna touch it. I replaced chain and tenssioners in 2008

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 01:06 PM   Thread Starter #10

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
The cheapest I found for this was $1,400 and it was at a Nissan Dealer. Outside mechanics didn't wanna touch it. I replaced chain and tenssioners in 2008
Yeap alot of Mechanics don't want to spend a whole day of work doing tensioners so they pass..... to do 100 oil changes $$$. lol

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
The Bandit

Official Member #: 15

Reputation Level: 23
K-Ryder will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Visit K-Ryder's Facebook Visit K-Ryder's PS3 Profile Visit K-Ryder's YouTube

Im guessing this is why when you do a 3.5 swap, they always use the 3.0 timing chain and components. Since us 3.0 are stronger.
K-Ryder is offline   Send a private message to K-Ryder Find more posts by K-Ryder Add K-Ryder to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #12

Official Member #: 383

Reputation Level: 0
d0nc0l0 is an unknown quantity at this point

my car have this problem and this is good info thx..
d0nc0l0 is offline   Send a private message to d0nc0l0 Find more posts by d0nc0l0 Add d0nc0l0 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
Official Member

Official Member #: 487

Reputation Level: 10
maxima 07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is what mine is. Would it make a whine during cold start ups also.
maxima 07 is offline   Send a private message to maxima 07 Find more posts by maxima 07 Add maxima 07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
The Bronx 6th Gen

Official Member #: 19

Reputation Level: 16
Blackoutt is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Awards:

lemme knwo eddy please.. i need to get mine fixed

...Team Street REVOLUZION...

Quote:
Gearbox....Love your dog.
Quote:
Gear... Your dog kind of resembles Blackout a little if you ever meet him in person.lol

eddy... are you trying to hint something????
Blackoutt is offline   Send a private message to Blackoutt Find more posts by Blackoutt Add Blackoutt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #15
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Question Re: Timing Chain Noise (The Infamous Engine Ticking)

Originally Posted by K-Ryder View Post
Im guessing this is why when you do a 3.5 swap, they always use the 3.0 timing chain and components. Since us 3.0 are stronger.
No I belive it has something with the VCT not being able to use with the 3.0 ECU. (IIRC)

I just recently witness a 3.0 timming on a 3.5 ,not much difference...

This is also common on the KA24DEs
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #16

Official Member #: 532

Keep it clean is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got my car back from the shop, all of my guides/tensioners were on there way out. They said that was all i needed to replace, but it makes no sense to replace just a couple things so everything in that area is brand new. If you hear that ticking sound, go in quickly and get it fixed before it causes more damage. And Jah know it not cheap, so come with over a grand!
Keep it clean is offline   Send a private message to Keep it clean Find more posts by Keep it clean Add Keep it clean to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #17

Official Member #: 1131

gree-gree is an unknown quantity at this point

great thread ,i am having that same noise from top right side of timming cover.thanks to all that have replyed.i have a 04 maxima sl just over 60000 mi.just bought last month.just my luck.thanks again
gree-gree is offline   Send a private message to gree-gree Find more posts by gree-gree Add gree-gree to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #18
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by maxima 07 View Post
I think this is what mine is. Would it make a whine during cold start ups also.
Your 07 is doing this? How many miles? There is NO WAY I'd pay a dealer $1400 for this...when mine is due, I'll download the FSM and do it myself.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #19

well mine is the same noise as that first video, would not make the noise everyday.but is making it every day now.and does seem too be lasting longer before fadeing away.car sat up for months on lot.got a good deal on it ,now i get to spend some of the money i saved.thanks again for all the info.
gree-gree is offline   Send a private message to gree-gree Find more posts by gree-gree Add gree-gree to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #20
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by gree-gree View Post
well mine is the same noise as that first video, would not make the noise everyday.but is making it every day now.and does seem too be lasting longer before fadeing away.car sat up for months on lot.got a good deal on it ,now i get to spend some of the money i saved.thanks again for all the info.
Save yourself a bundle and fix it yourself. There are enough threads on it here, and if you get a FSM (free download), you'll be able to work through it. Just take your time.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #21

well got my cover off today,sure enough the long guide at the tensioner on the main chain had slipped down. orderd parts todaythanks again for the great info.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #22

Official Member #: 552

rbromley is an unknown quantity at this point

I found a local mechanic in my area finally to knock this out for me. I have a 04 SE with 77,000 miles (Fujita, Racingline Y Pipe, Ebay Catback). I used to get the ticking only on startup, but it seems to have gotten drastically worse and doesn't go away now. Local mechanic is quoting $500 labor and $495 for parts (entire timing kit from rockauto.com). Question for you guys... What other maintenance/performance mods would be convenient to handle at the same time? I haven't changed spark plugs yet, but considering having that done at the same time.
rbromley is offline   Send a private message to rbromley Find more posts by rbromley Add rbromley to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #23
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

This would be a good time to do the NWP spacers/block off plate, and I would change out the spark plugs at the same time.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #24

Official Member #: 552

rbromley is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks 1Hawaii50, I'll plan on doing the plugs for sure and will look into the NWP spacers and block off. Just need to make sure everything fits in the budget.
rbromley is offline   Send a private message to rbromley Find more posts by rbromley Add rbromley to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #25
Official Member

Official Member #: 1083

Reputation Level: 13
Orbit is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Now I'm not sure if this is the sound I have. On my 07 its whines exactly like a supercharger. Is this the same thing?
Orbit is offline   Send a private message to Orbit Find more posts by Orbit Add Orbit to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top