Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Extended Maxima Generation Family
my4thgen.org my5thgen.org my6thgen.org my7thgen.org my8thgen.org myxgen.org
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1600

Reputation Level: 0
95acc is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Timing Chain How Long Will It Last?

I just picked up my 06 SL last week and noticed a bit of a whine but it was super cold and didnt think much of it.

But now i have been driving it for a week and i have figured out it is a bit bigger problem .

My question is my guides i assume are worn so i am getting the Whine as the rpm's go up, Just Wondering how long this will last me?is is something that i can let go for a bit or should i be booking it in right away to get fixed, i just bought this car and i dont really have the cash to fix it right now, the dealer wont help me out, but has offered to buy the car back from me.

Please help i really like this car!

Paul
95acc is offline   Send a private message to 95acc Find more posts by 95acc Add 95acc to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: Timing Chain How Long will it last?

Its usually the tensionsers that go bad. They kind of rattle not whine. Most people use a thicker oil to help eliminate the rattle while they save up the $$ to get it fixed.

When was the last time you did an oil change? It could also be something else.
04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 68
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Timing Chain How Long Will It Last?

Paul, I don't know what your problem is.

You seem to be in a unique situation.

If the dealer is willing to buy back the car, why don't you take the car to a trusted mechanic and get a diagnosis of cost and repair. If it is a serious problem or a very costly repair, you still have the option to return the car to the dealer and get a refund. You need to do this in a very timely manner.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 PM   Thread Starter #4

Official Member #: 1600

95acc is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah
I just hate shopping for cars haha

the oil was just changed, i was reasding the TSB and it mentions a Whine that increases with engine RPM and that seems to be exactly what i have,

i will be taking to another mechanic this week to get it priced out,
My dilema is i got a pretty good deal on the car, so even if i pay to fix the car i am still ahead of the game. I just dont have the cash right now to fix it, slow season is right around the corner ect.
Just wondering if anyone had any idea on how long these things usually last, or is it just one day POP and its done

Thanks
95acc is offline   Send a private message to 95acc Find more posts by 95acc Add 95acc to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #5

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard

Yeah take it elsewhere to confirm. A whine could mean many things if not carefully investigated. lol

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
BBM Crew/Chief Instigator Donating Member

Official Member #: 30

Reputation Level: 10
Max.ONE is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

like thundershott said do this in a timely manner.

No matter what deal you got remember that if you do have to do a timing chain it is $$$ figure a couple of Ks. so add that to the cost and figure if it is a good deal keep in mind that problems can cause more problems>>>
Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Connecticut's Prestige 6th Gen

Official Member #: 82

CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

nissan quoted me $2,200 because they wont just go in there to change the tensioners only. there ripping the engine out and replacing everything. i know its not the best method or advice but ive been running with that problem for 2 years. watch your oil level because the tensioners work off of oil pressure. fresh oil and maintaining your oil level will get you by. cash and time is my reasons as my car is needed daily

Click the image to open in full size.
CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
Premier Member

Official Member #: 76

Reputation Level: 12
jsmithsole is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Guinness Record Holder  

/ Point Value: 15

Banner of The Month  

How many miles do you have? I had mine fixed around 90k under warranty thankfully. Like everyone already said, get it checked somewhere besides the "stealership"

Sent from my wife's iPhone using Tapatalk. Droid coming soon....
Old 02-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
Official Member

Official Member #: 1691
Location: Born N Raised In The Bronx Curretly Chillin In Hillside NJ

Reputation Level: 4
Gogetemjay is an unknown quantity at this point

You might find this useful...

While a rattling noise durring crank up is more than likely due to low oil, a buzzing or whinning noise while driving MAY BE CAUSED by worn secondary timing chain tensioners. What happens is the plastic guide on the tensioner wears down to the tensioner piston. The chain then rides this piston instead of the guide, causing a whinning noise. In some cases, a bad alternator clutch (yes, the new alternators have clutches) can cause this. In the situation that your tensioners are to blame, expect to spend from $1000 to $1500 to have them replaced and should include new upper (secondary) timing chains.

3) Yet another buzzing, rattling or whinning noise. If you own a Quest van, Maxima, Altima 3.5 and some Z/G/FX vehicles, and get a loud buzzing noise on start up, or rattle, this may be due to the main chain guide breaking. The main guide recieves pressure from the main timing chain tensioner. At the top of this guide, where the chain exits on its way to bank 1 (Left hand from front), the guide wears and eventually breaks at that mounting point. The plastic on the guide then drops about 1/2 inch to reveal some of the metal bracket of the guide. This is the sawing, buzzing rattling noise you hear. Again, it may just be low oil, but if that doesnt fix it, this is probably what you have.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/answers-o...c-t323273.html
Gogetemjay is offline   Send a private message to Gogetemjay Find more posts by Gogetemjay Add Gogetemjay to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 330

Reputation Level: 17
QMaxx will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

If it is your timing chain tensioners, do not wait long to get them fixed. This can lead to other problems and you'll end up like me having to get another motor. So take it to a respectable mechanic to get a diagnostic on it as soon as you can. Not the damn stealership though.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:24 AM   #11
Official Member

Official Member #: 1691
Location: Born N Raised In The Bronx Curretly Chillin In Hillside NJ

Gogetemjay is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent the last 24hrs trynna find the answer too cause its botherin me.. Nissan didnt do a recall but there was a service bulletin for all VQ35's and VQ40's because of this issue

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fi...e_bulletin.pdf
Gogetemjay is offline   Send a private message to Gogetemjay Find more posts by Gogetemjay Add Gogetemjay to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #12

Official Member #: 1786

mrpeepers is an unknown quantity at this point

This is basically the sound mine is making, and I just bought it from a friend that has documented oil changes every 3k miles, and had maintenance at nissan at 30k, 60k and 90k.

"the whine" is what i hear out of mine.
mrpeepers is offline   Send a private message to mrpeepers Find more posts by mrpeepers Add mrpeepers to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #13

^^ That's normal because you have a COLD AIR INTAKE.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 02-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #14

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
^^ That's normal because you have a COLD AIR INTAKE.
here's an actual video that i just took of my 2007 Maxima.

Note the high idle (near end of video) and that I just started it after being in a 25 degree F garage all night (also note, I hear NO clanking).

Should I start another thread? CVT Issue? Or is there NO issue here?
mrpeepers is offline   Send a private message to mrpeepers Find more posts by mrpeepers Add mrpeepers to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #15

^^ Now that is not normal. lol

Start a new thread.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 02-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #16

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
^^ Now that is not normal. lol

Start a new thread.
What part? The whine? or the Idle? And if "both" what were you saying it normal with the 'first' video I posted where you said something about the cold air intake?

Started this:
http://my6thgen.org/f266/07-whining-noise-sound-high-idle-rpm-7675/#post126785
Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #17
Official Member

Official Member #: 1510

younghandsum is an unknown quantity at this point

I been having the same problem for 2 yrs just watch your oil level i been using moblie 1 oil and the ticking goes away then comes back around 2500 miles and i use 5w 30 i was planing on riding it until it goes and get a new motor witch sucks to me it makes no sence fixing for 2k just go out and get a new motor i feel the same way u do i love my car and other ppl do to but good luck
younghandsum is offline   Send a private message to younghandsum Find more posts by younghandsum Add younghandsum to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #18
Banned

Official Member #: 328

My Awards:

Originally Posted by mrpeepers View Post
here's an actual video that i just took of my 2007 Maxima.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrI5zK1QRlI

Note the high idle (near end of video) and that I just started it after being in a 25 degree F garage all night (also note, I hear NO clanking).

Should I start another thread? CVT Issue? Or is there NO issue here?
CVT's normally have a little whine to them in the first place. But, I had the EXACT same sound coming when I revved the engine as your video. Also, heard it when I was accelerating while I was driving.

The thing is that Nissan dropped the ball on this one. Their timing chain/tensioners are just as defective as the trannies for the 04-06's and they actually put the same thing in the 6.5's. There's actually a TSB on it for those who don't know. For more info. Check this thread on the big org and read the WHOLE thing.

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ine-noise.html

Good thing is that when I replaced everything. The engine sounds normal now and also, you get a 1 year warranty on their work (stealership). So, if for any reason you get this sound again or what nots. Take it back to them to get it fixed.

Last edited by maximus; 03-11-2011 at 12:47 AM.
maximus is banned   Send a private message to maximus Find more posts by maximus Add maximus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #19
Banned

My Awards:

This is just for the people with the whine noise.......the TSB is:

NTB07-042

Just register here: http://nissanhelp.com/

You can download and print out the PDF. Only thing is that your only allowed to print out 2 copies of whatever PDF at a time.
maximus is banned   Send a private message to maximus Find more posts by maximus Add maximus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #20

What did you replace and how much did it cost? And the big kicker is, is it ok to just live with the noise or is it something that I HAVE to get fixed ASAP? Stereo sure sounds great!

Mr Dolla told me that he knows guys that have had that sound for over 5 years. Bottom line is, does it annoy you? LOL

Oh, and the guys at the maxima.org also have some ticking/clanking noise - which - thankfully - I do not.

Last edited by mrpeepers; 03-11-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #21

And I don't suppose this bulletin covers the cost of repairs, right? (seriously, don't laugh. LOL!)

Mine has 105,000 miles on it. 2007. Whatever. Guess it's done this for years and really doesn't bug me.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #22
Banned

My Awards:

What did you replace and how much did it cost? And the big kicker is, is it ok to just live with the noise or is it something that I HAVE to get fixed ASAP? Stereo sure sounds great!

Mr Dolla told me that he knows guys that have had that sound for over 5 years. Bottom line is, does it annoy you? LOL

Oh, and the guys at the maxima.org also have some ticking/clanking noise - which - thankfully - I do not.
Well, the guys that have the ticking and clanking noises came after the initial issue addressed by AscendantMax which had the loud whining noise that came from his engine. Some of the posts on there are extremely useful while others are addressing a completely different issue all together.

As for me.....I had the secondary timing chain and tensioner "shoes" replaced. The average price for repair would be anywhere from: 1500 - 2000+
It will highly depend on where your taking your car to be repaired.

The only reason why it's making that noise is because the tensioner "shoes" are worn down to the pistons and rubbing the chain. Thus, producing the whining noise.

In regards to your other question....it depends on how long that you had this noise going on. It begins when you accelerate to around 2-3 RPM and over time the noise will get louder until you hear it at idle. Here's the catch, if it's left unfixed than this can lead to the chain breaking which will hit the pistons and so on and so fourth. Ultimately leading to the DESTRUCTION OF YOUR ENGINE.

Keep that in mind when you make your decision. It's not the question of is it annoying or not but, how long would you like to keep your car?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #23
Banned

My Awards:

And I don't suppose this bulletin covers the cost of repairs, right? (seriously, don't laugh. LOL!)

Mine has 105,000 miles on it. 2007. Whatever. Guess it's done this for years and really doesn't bug me.
It actually addresses the whining/buzzing issue and how to fix it. It also lists all years, makes, models that have this defect. Just in case they don't know about the issue than you can print out the TSB and show them as proof. Or, if your taking this to an independent mechanic than this will be a guide for him.

People usually have issues around 60k but timing chains usually have to be replaced at 100k +. With the mileage that your car has than you are past overdue.

The thing I found annoying is that the powertrain warranty goes to 60k. Nissan knows very well that is when issues start to arise with our cars.

Last edited by maximus; 03-11-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #24
Premier Member

Official Member #: 1114

Reputation Level: 13
05SilverMax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

i read your post OP and i think i have the same problem.
i searched the site and this is the problem that most clearly matched my symptoms:
http://my6thgen.org/showthread.php?t...ghlight=gusset
im having this fixed by irish in a few weeks when we get around to meeting and ill let you know how it goes for me.
05SilverMax is offline   Send a private message to 05SilverMax Find more posts by 05SilverMax Add 05SilverMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #25
Official Member

Official Member #: 1510

younghandsum is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok guys where do I find how to change my timing chain step by step.can't find a write up for it thanks
younghandsum is offline   Send a private message to younghandsum Find more posts by younghandsum Add younghandsum to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top