Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:52 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1931

Reputation Level: 9
ifti is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Timing Chain Fix

Well, This is going to be an weird post.. I am looking for someone near LA who can fix timing chain issue..

Here's the infamous problem description :

Car start in the morning = Starts with a little chatter for 2-3 seconds then smooth. Surprisingly, this started a few months ago and happens every morning. oil change and topping off power steering fluid did a little bit of improvement. Note : After the initial chatter, no more noises. Everything is just perfect.

Car start after few (2/3) hours of rest : the same symptom as above.

Car start after 30 mins to 1 hour of rest : As soon as I start , it produces dig dig dig dig noise.like a diesel engine. After few mins of driving, it simply goes away. No impact on performance that I can feel of.

Car Start within 10-15 mins of rest ( last start ) : No unusual noise. This is the perfect sound of engine that one would expect. It starts just like a new car with a sweet tone from my Magnaflow exhaust.No chattering, No ticking , no dig dig dig.

Please read carefully do get the full picture. Does it seem like Timing Chain issue ? May be it just needs to be tightened ?

Dealer said, timing chain needs to be replaced, quote of $800 after some discount.
One local guy said, just need a little servicing of the chain.

If anyone interested to spare one weekend for my car, please let me know. That way we could help each other.

Really in trouble man. dont want to spend that much of money on this.
Injen CAI, Racingline FSTB, KCMAXX RSB,JL amp and 10 inch JL Sub, Smoked Trail lights, All interior LED, Front-Rear Window tint, Racingline Ground Kit,Monroe Strut and Shocks,Carbon Fiber Dash Kit, Magnalow Exhaust, 6K HID, 2 degree timing advance
---------------------------------------------------------------
Click the image to open in full size.
ifti is offline   Send a private message to ifti Find more posts by ifti Add ifti to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 301

Reputation Level: 12
deep007 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Official Ride  

/ Point Value: 10

Default Re: Timing Chain Fix

Originally Posted by ifti View Post
Well, This is going to be an weird post.. I am looking for someone near LA who can fix timing chain issue..

Here's the infamous problem description :

Car start in the morning = Starts with a little chatter for 2-3 seconds then smooth. Surprisingly, this started a few months ago and happens every morning. oil change and topping off power steering fluid did a little bit of improvement. Note : After the initial chatter, no more noises. Everything is just perfect.

Car start after few (2/3) hours of rest : the same symptom as above.

Car start after 30 mins to 1 hour of rest : As soon as I start , it produces dig dig dig dig noise.like a diesel engine. After few mins of driving, it simply goes away. No impact on performance that I can feel of.

Car Start within 10-15 mins of rest ( last start ) : No unusual noise. This is the perfect sound of engine that one would expect. It starts just like a new car with a sweet tone from my Magnaflow exhaust.No chattering, No ticking , no dig dig dig.

Please read carefully do get the full picture. Does it seem like Timing Chain issue ? May be it just needs to be tightened ?

Dealer said, timing chain needs to be replaced, quote of $800 after some discount.
One local guy said, just need a little servicing of the chain.

If anyone interested to spare one weekend for my car, please let me know. That way we could help each other.

Really in trouble man. dont want to spend that much of money on this.
I think 800 isnt much for that job i seen people paying 1200 for it
Old 05-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Re: Timing Chain fix

$800 isn't bad at all...as far as I know, there is no "adjustment" of the chain. If you are getting the rattle, it's the timing chain guides that are worn through...not the chain itself. What they are replacing are the guides, not the chain...nothing to adjust. I know MrDolla can hook you up with the parts, so you need to see what the dealer can do, "labor only".
Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 330

Reputation Level: 22
QMaxx will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Default Re: Timing Chain fix

Very well put Don...
Old 05-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 31
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Where you locatd @? As stated.. $800 is deff a good price as others pay a lot more.
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2011, 07:28 PM   Thread Starter #6

Official Member #: 1931

Reputation Level: 9
ifti is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm..
I live in Torrance ( 90503 ) its 20 miles from LA Downtown.

The same dealer initially quoted for $1200. But later told me that they can provide some discount. Anyways, was checking if anyone could do it for cheaper than this. I know its time consuming process and considering the labor charge for Nissan tech, it would be big. So, if some ORG member can do it, I could do other stuffs , like NWP spaces etc at a go with less price.
Injen CAI, Racingline FSTB, KCMAXX RSB,JL amp and 10 inch JL Sub, Smoked Trail lights, All interior LED, Front-Rear Window tint, Racingline Ground Kit,Monroe Strut and Shocks,Carbon Fiber Dash Kit, Magnalow Exhaust, 6K HID, 2 degree timing advance
---------------------------------------------------------------
Click the image to open in full size.
ifti is offline   Send a private message to ifti Find more posts by ifti Add ifti to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
East LA's Official 6th Gen Maxima

Official Member #: 206

Reputation Level: 15
georgelv1999 is on a distinguished road

You might have to leave that to the dealership.

You said you can do the NWP spacers? How much you charge to install the spacers?