Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:51 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 984

Reputation Level: 13
firesice18 is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
Default Timing Chain/Camshaft Relation???

So I am in the process of replacing my timing chain tensioners and I spoke to a buddy of mine who has done a "similar" job on his subaru. He told me to be extra cautious when I take the timing chain off of the sprocket because the pressure of the valve springs and lifters may cause the camshaft to rotate out of time... and it's an SOB to make sure you get it back right!

For those of you who have completed the dreaded timing chain/tensioners job, did you run into any issues with this?

I do not have the ring gear stopper tool as they were on backorder until February... sure hope thats not what it was used for!
firesice18 is offline   Send a private message to firesice18 Find more posts by firesice18 Add firesice18 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1131

Reputation Level: 0
gree-gree is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Timing Chain/Camshaft Relation???

yes i did have one of mine move,but it was no big deal. i had every thing lined up before i got started, so it was not bad putting it back in place.
gree-gree is offline   Send a private message to gree-gree Find more posts by gree-gree Add gree-gree to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

yes esp if your doing in the car, the cams will try to rotate on itself, try to get the FSM as it shows you the timming mark , YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET THIS WRONG !!

cant stress enough , I hate doing timming on ANY CAR but if you get it wrong , your ass is grass !

check the FSM as it shows you excatly where the timming sprockets sit /align.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2011, 03:39 PM   Thread Starter #4

Alright so I should be prepared for it to move as soon as I take the timing chain off... right? Make sure I have my timing marks put on (white out or sharpie). I do have the FSM but there was no way for me to verify that it was TDC of compression becuase I didnt have the valve covers off. I lined it up with TDC and pulled the crank pulley. I figure once I get in there I can make my own marks and make sure I get it back right.

I am doing it with it in the car too. Anybody have any trouble getting the power steering pump off? I have removed the two 12mm bolts holding the adjustment bracket and a long 14mm bolt from the backside... but I can't get it off for some reason... any ideas?
firesice18 is offline   Send a private message to firesice18 Find more posts by firesice18 Add firesice18 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

there is another way around this,

get an adjustable wrench , take the Valve covers off, if you look at the cams, theres a sqaure shape ( NOT THE LOBES ) where you can tighten the adjustable wrench and hold it in place, its more of a two man job, making sure that its TIGHT and that the cam doesnt move.

I dont normally suggest that but its the last resort since you do not have the tool.

take it easy and be VERY careful not to scratch or niche the lobes.

take your time and get a helping hand, While I am not a Tech no longer I hate to do the job (or even think about doing it ) while the motor is in the car.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 AM   Thread Starter #6

Any ideas about the power steering pump?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

If the power steering pump is like the alternator, there could be a, (i dunno how to explain it in words), pressed in washer/bushing on the bolt head side of the 14mm bolt securing the pump at its pivot point. Even though the bolt is removed the washer thing is still in contact with the engine block.

See if you can get something in there on the backside and pry a little bit on the pump to push the washer thingie in if its even there. Personally i did not see it on the alternator until i went to install the new one and it wouldn't fit until i pushed the washer thingie in.

Wish i could help more. How hard was it to get that 14mm bolt to break loose? I know its tight in there. I tried to get it loose to replace the belt and gave up while i was putting in my high output alternator and new belts. Whats the secret?

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 PM   Thread Starter #8

the 14mm bolt I am referring to comes in from behind the power steering pump and screws into the backside of the timing chain cover. If we are talking about the same thing, I had to use a 3/8" drive ratchet, long extension, 3/8" swivel adapter 14mm socket. I may have used a small extension after the swivel to reach in all the way but you have to get under the car and all the way to the y-pipe to reach up into the chamber to reach it.

If you are talking about the adjustment bolt... I had to loosen the bolt holding the adjustment bracket onto the slide bracket. Then adjust the adjustment bolt a few turns and get on the upper side of the motor and push down on the power steering pump to get it to rotate downward. Go back under and repeat until there is enough play to get the belt off.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 PM   Thread Starter #9

What type of alternator did you buy? I feel like I should replace mine while it is easy since that whole side of the motor is gone... Plus I broke the plastic shielding off the back of mine during removal (I didn't remove the radiator).
Old 01-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #10
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

I need to buy some swivel and wobble sockets sometime. I keep forgetting about them until I'm elbow deep in shit with parts everywhere trying to get that last bolt loose.

That plastic shield on the back is brittle. I cracked around one of the screws.

The alternator is 250amp and is from excessive amperage. It also has an overdrive pulley on it to produce up to 120amps at idle. Be sure to upgrade the alternator to battery and battery to ground to 0gauge wire. It still uses the stock size belt despite different size pulley.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top