Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:19 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 6287

Reputation Level: 0
BoltBucket is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Thinnest Motor Oil?

I have the dreaded timing chain and tensioner issue. The rattle at startup and the constant whine while the car is warming up. It doesn't whine constantly that I notice and it doesn't rattle on every startup but when it does, the rattle is very loud. I need a cheap thin oil that will make this problem much more apparent so that the mechanic can hear it and acknowledge the problem.

A BIT OF BACKGROUND INFO TO EXPLAIN THIS BIZARRE THIN OIL IDEA....I purchased my car with a 100k 5 year warranty back in October from a used car dealer. When I wanted to have a professional at a Nissan dealer fix the problem I found out I didn't have a warranty! Unfortunately, the finance manager is a liar and a thief and he cancelled the warranty a week after I purchased without notifying me or issuing a refund. I had to get the warranty company, and the finance company involved in order to reinstate the warranty. Unfortunately, the warranty will be suspended for the next 60 days and they want no part of the timing chain issue! The dealership made a deal to cover repairs on their dime these first 60 days. I've already had it to their mechanic once and it didn't make any noise. So, I need an oil that is going to present this problem better so I can finally get it fixed and put this mess behind me. Please help
BoltBucket is offline   Send a private message to BoltBucket Find more posts by BoltBucket Add BoltBucket to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM   Thread Starter #2

Default Re: Thinnest motor oil?

My blood pressure is through the roof!
BoltBucket is offline   Send a private message to BoltBucket Find more posts by BoltBucket Add BoltBucket to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Thinnest Motor Oil?

That's shitty! I don't know about the oil.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

any synthetic oil is thin.

good luck dude.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 PM   Thread Starter #5

Perhaps thick oil is the answer? It will collect in the pan when its cold and have a tougher time reaching the top at startup? God, I hate this
Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #6

Official Member #: 7116

Reputation Level: 7
Maxima2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

I would lean towards a thicker oil also. It wont run through the whole engine as fluent as the thin oil at start-up ...especially if where you are located is cold. That timing chain issue is a pain in da as_. When I had mines, I had the SES light on, do you have the SES light on by any chance? But just like you, my start-up noise would be a 50/50 thing. Sometimes it did it, sometimes it didn't...but boy when it did...it was like a Mack Truck.

Last edited by Maxima2008; 02-07-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Maxima2008 is offline   Send a private message to Maxima2008 Find more posts by Maxima2008 Add Maxima2008 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Banner of The Month  

Is the noise more prominate during a cold start up in the morning? If so then i would just leave the car with them over-night.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #8

Official Member #: 7116

Reputation Level: 7
Maxima2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
Is the noise more prominate during a cold start up in the morning? If so then i would just leave the car with them over-night.
The suck part is you just can't trust them. They might come in early and keep car running before you get there to keep it cool (somewhat kiddin' but not).But honestly, I don't think temperature or cold startup has a direct influence in it. The first time it happened to me was not in the morning, I believe the engine was actually a bit warm at start up and I had already driven some miles for the day. I would keep a camera with me and record everytime it happens. These guys know the damn car has timing chain issues, it's the dealership. Fixing transmissions on 04-06 and timing chains on 04-08 is their bread and butter and meal ticket. Just record everytime with video with correct date and time. Record whole car so they don't say some BS about it not being the same vehicle. Hopefully they work with you on resolving this matter asap. Be strong Man, don't go in there talking to them weak minded... Damn Liars need to fix your Sh-T.....NOW. They almost got me for $2,700 to repair it. I thank the one above for warranty.

Last edited by Maxima2008; 02-08-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Maxima2008 is offline   Send a private message to Maxima2008 Find more posts by Maxima2008 Add Maxima2008 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 08:10 PM   Thread Starter #9

I'm going to do it myself when it gets warm. It's the only way I'm going to keep costs down and know it was done right. Either way, the house wins.