Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:50 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Sluggish Performance

Hey guys,
I have an 05 5sp AT and for the past 20000 miles the car started to become more and more sluggish. the car has 85k on the clock now, and the thing is that rarely happens that the car pulls hard but it's not consistent. Sometimes when I push the gas pedal to the floor , it's like the car thinks about a second or two before starting to react to the input and I feel that the downshifting time has also increased, it takes about 3 seconds for the car to make up its mind to downshift, and funny thing is that sometimes it doesn't downshift at all...has anybody encountered such a problem? Just to be clear, my trans does not slip and I have tested it just to make sure that it is not slipping in any gear
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Sluggish performance

Got your car scanned for codes fella !
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2014, 01:03 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Default Re: Sluggish performance

Nothing there, I got a scanner, No codes
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #4

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube
Default Re: Sluggish Performance

Might need a tune-up(Spark plug, ignition coils & pcv valve).. Could be a ghost code and you might be misfiring and you don't even know it..

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #5

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

I recently experienced something like this. I changed my spark plugs, coil packs, PCV valve, cleaned EGR valve, replaced knock sensor, oil change and transmission change. I was due for all of this since my car sat for like two years. It felt very slugggish when stepping on the pedal and it would hesitate. After doing this, the car pulls very hard with no hestitation. I asked the same question not too long ago on the my6 fb group.

So the question to you is.... when's the last time you did any of those?

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 AM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
I recently experienced something like this. I changed my spark plugs, coil packs, PCV valve, cleaned EGR valve, replaced knock sensor, oil change and transmission change. I was due for all of this since my car sat for like two years. It felt very slugggish when stepping on the pedal and it would hesitate. After doing this, the car pulls very hard with no hestitation. I asked the same question not too long ago on the my6 fb group.

So the question to you is.... when's the last time you did any of those?
I have changed the trans oil like 10K miles ago(3 times drain and refill), but as far as the sparks and coils and all other 100K miles maintenance routine, I haven'y done any of them yet. I change oil every 7K miles and about three months ago I cleaned up the throttle body, MAF sensor, and the drop in K&N filter. Why did you change the coils btw? did you have faults in the system?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 220

Reputation Level: 10
Jingiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Try cleaning the EGR Valve.

Also you could try to seafoam the car.
Have you tried to clean your fuel injectors?

Do you use a higher octane in your car?
Lower octane doesnt mean cleaner gas, octane is based off of detonation rates, lower the octane lower the rate it ignites.
Jingiko is offline   Send a private message to Jingiko Find more posts by Jingiko Add Jingiko to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #8

Official Member #: 2949

Reputation Level: 9
MikesMax is an unknown quantity at this point

Indirect question on performance. I know that we have the regular gearbox in the 6th and the 6.5 has CVT. When I was back in college a friend had a 05 or something and I remember that made me want a max because it pulled hard. But I hate my CVT. If you lined up an 06 vs an 08 wouldn't the 06 smoke it. There is so much lag on my CVT
MikesMax is offline   Send a private message to MikesMax Find more posts by MikesMax Add MikesMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2014, 03:31 AM   Thread Starter #9
Official Member

I'll clean up my egr valve first and will let you guys know if it made any difference or not, I use different octanes, Right now I have 91 in it, and still it's sluggish. I remember I have seen a video of a Cvt and 5sp auto drag racing and the cvt took the lead upto 100mph but lost the drag over the sped of 100 to AT
Old 07-11-2014, 03:33 AM   Thread Starter #10
Official Member

Cvt is linear, but the acceleration is better than 5sp auto, but because it's linear the feeling of acceleration is not there
Old 07-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #11

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Originally Posted by emilbadal View Post
I have changed the trans oil like 10K miles ago(3 times drain and refill), but as far as the sparks and coils and all other 100K miles maintenance routine, I haven'y done any of them yet. I change oil every 7K miles and about three months ago I cleaned up the throttle body, MAF sensor, and the drop in K&N filter. Why did you change the coils btw? did you have faults in the system?
Yeah I was throwing a P300 misfire code. It came on and off at times. I didn't want to just replace one coilpack, so I just did them all. The car is pulling really good now.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2014, 02:20 AM   #12

Really. And another random question but I was just thinking. The 7 gen has the same engine as 6.5 but makes 295 horse. Do you think there is a chip that could unlock that potential with our cars ? And also if we did like a full exhaust with high flow cats do you think there would be a large hp gain ? I don't really want an exhaust on this CVT because the tone woukd be horrible I feel.
MikesMax is offline   Send a private message to MikesMax Find more posts by MikesMax Add MikesMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2014, 03:16 AM   #13
Official Member

Official Member #: 3079

Jony09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikesMax View Post
Really. And another random question but I was just thinking. The 7 gen has the same engine as 6.5 but makes 295 horse. Do you think there is a chip that could unlock that potential with our cars ? And also if we did like a full exhaust with high flow cats do you think there would be a large hp gain ? I don't really want an exhaust on this CVT because the tone woukd be horrible I feel.
The 7th gen has a different engine I guess you can call it an "updated VQ" reason HP is different.

Posted Via Tapatalk 2
Jony09 is offline   Send a private message to Jony09 Find more posts by Jony09 Add Jony09 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2014, 03:18 AM   #14

Aw man. How much you think we can bore out our cars for more hp. Except that one guy with the red max with a turbo who I think sold it I mean with bolt ons like a full exhaust with good cats and stuff.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:09 AM   Thread Starter #15
Official Member

I wouldn't try to go with the exhaust, because when you use less restriction you lose power in one part of the curve and gain some in other part, which causes power band curve become less stable(The best power curve is almost a smooth line raising linearly from minimum to maximum output. The 7th gen engine is the 3.7 engine which is on the 370 and g37 and other infinitis. However, the trick is in the mapping of the ECU. 350Zs has the identical engine to ours but they put out 287 stock, but that has nothing to do with exhaust,well maybe 3-4hps but the actual difference is made in the mapping. I believe our 3.5 liter engines have the capacity to put out 350 hp with some serious business ECU programming, but then again, your car will have very bad fuel economy, maybe something around 15MPGs highway, it's a huge not logical compromise. Anyway, I put CAI, but went back to stock, cause I lost a lot of low end torque, I havn't tried any exhaust mods, and I don't believe that could help that much. remember that no matter how much you eliminate the restrictions on both intake and exhaust system, the fuel trim of the ecu dictates how much power to put out. Long story short, drive it stock, and be happy with what you have as stock,if you touch it you'll make it worse. This car is supposed to be a midsize luxury sedan, enjoy the comfort. I have done lots of crap to my cars, but every time I regret them because the changes messed up something else in the car. If you'd like more power, sell the max, buy a more powerful sporty car, This car is not compatible with aftermarket changes, that's another reason, the aftermarket parts are so limited for this car. As of now, I personally am sure that once my summer term is over, I will replace my Eibachs and go back to stock. and by then, my only aftermarket piece that would be left is going to be the drop in K&N filter
Old 07-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #16

Wow. That's really deep but I appreciate it. I actually only have a.short ram intake at the moment. And I'm happy to say it boosted mpg because of increased airflow. Assuming I don't floor it. Sigh. Next car I wanna get is performance. I shouldn't complain though because I got a 2008 loaded literally every option besides elite package which was rare. I had the choice at the time between a 7th gen or a loaded 6.5 in 2010. I appreciate your post. See the car is fast at highway speed but from the line it's garbage
Old 07-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #17

Official Member #: 8388

Reputation Level: 7
shredda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emilbadal View Post
I wouldn't try to go with the exhaust, because when you use less restriction you lose power in one part of the curve and gain some in other part, which causes power band curve become less stable(The best power curve is almost a smooth line raising linearly from minimum to maximum output. The 7th gen engine is the 3.7 engine which is on the 370 and g37 and other infinitis. However, the trick is in the mapping of the ECU. 350Zs has the identical engine to ours but they put out 287 stock, but that has nothing to do with exhaust,well maybe 3-4hps but the actual difference is made in the mapping. I believe our 3.5 liter engines have the capacity to put out 350 hp with some serious business ECU programming, but then again, your car will have very bad fuel economy, maybe something around 15MPGs highway, it's a huge not logical compromise. Anyway, I put CAI, but went back to stock, cause I lost a lot of low end torque, I havn't tried any exhaust mods, and I don't believe that could help that much. remember that no matter how much you eliminate the restrictions on both intake and exhaust system, the fuel trim of the ecu dictates how much power to put out. Long story short, drive it stock, and be happy with what you have as stock,if you touch it you'll make it worse. This car is supposed to be a midsize luxury sedan, enjoy the comfort. I have done lots of crap to my cars, but every time I regret them because the changes messed up something else in the car. If you'd like more power, sell the max, buy a more powerful sporty car, This car is not compatible with aftermarket changes, that's another reason, the aftermarket parts are so limited for this car. As of now, I personally am sure that once my summer term is over, I will replace my Eibachs and go back to stock. and by then, my only aftermarket piece that would be left is going to be the drop in K&N filter
Wow the bro science is strong with this one.

The 7th gen has an updated vq35de with a different intake manifold, throttle body etc etc. The z's and g's have the vq37hr.

Opening up the 6th gen with bolt ons can increase power significantly enough. Getting your car tuned after the bolt ons is key. Jmax is making around 300HP at the crank and he just has the basic bolt ons. Headers, intake, crank pulley etc and an Uprev tune.
shredda is offline   Send a private message to shredda Find more posts by shredda Add shredda to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #18

Aw man. How much you think we can bore out our cars for more hp. Except that one guy with the red max with a turbo who I think sold it I mean with bolt ons like a full exhaust with good cats and stuff.
You can make 300 HP at the Crank with Bolt ons and an uprev tune. CVT is garbage though, don't waste your money. The 7th gens just have an update version of the VQ35DE with slightly more efficient components.
shredda is offline   Send a private message to shredda Find more posts by shredda Add shredda to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #19

I agree. I love my car but hate this freaking CVT. Can't impress girls with it either. And I'm getting tired of everyone saying nice altima it's not even close haha. I wonder how much j max spent on that.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #20

I agree. I love my car but hate this freaking CVT. Can't impress girls with it either. And I'm getting tired of everyone saying nice altima it's not even close haha. I wonder how much j max spent on that.

Ebay headers, ebay catback, NWP VIas plate, Nwp spacers(he doesn't have these) light weight crank pulley, cold air intake and an uprev tune. All in depending on labor you're looking at around 2-3 grand.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #21
Official Member

Official Member #: 1072

mrjasonlyrics is an unknown quantity at this point

J-Max is in the building. Holy I haven't been on here in a min. Honestly if you don't plan do race don't go doing all that performance ish to your car. I've spent countless amount of money to be where I'm at now, went through two engines but it's all good, you gotta pay to play Just do a tune up on your car and enjoy it until you get another. EGR, Irridium spark plugs, MAF "optional" PCV valve and oil change. There's not much you can do to the CVT unless you really wanna spend money.
GT-R bodykit/CAI/Zenetti rims/5pc spacers/BOP/Cosmo lightweight pulley/Satin black 2-tone paint/N1 catback/Magnaflow mufflers/6spd manual/lambo doors/racingline USTB/B&G lowering springs/KYB GR-2 shock,struts/,Exedy OE clutch
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/388690...ima-se-sedan-4
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJasonlyrics
If I can't use my both hands and feet then I don't want it
mrjasonlyrics is offline   Send a private message to mrjasonlyrics Find more posts by mrjasonlyrics Add mrjasonlyrics to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #22

Official Member #: 6540

incubus0111 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to know in detail how it is you can't impress the girls with a CVT?

Tapping the screen to talk.....
incubus0111 is offline   Send a private message to incubus0111 Find more posts by incubus0111 Add incubus0111 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #23

Haha seriously man my intake will be screaming and you don't feel any torque so girls are like meh. Unless they are the kind that hear noise and get impressed haha. What ever mane. I made mine look sporty but realistically it'd a luxury car and I do have a lot of creature comforts I don't even realize like tilting mirrors heated steering wheel all that. But it's enough power to change lanes on the highway. And I feel like when people see this car they won't try to cut you off as much as that guy in the civic. I realize while driving my girls basic altima everyone just cuts her off because that thing is like 90 hp
Old 08-16-2014, 09:38 PM   Thread Starter #24
Official Member

Alrighty, One of the major issues with the sluggish performance in my car was due to a hole in my PCV valve hose, from the looks of it, the PCV valve was stuck shot therefore the vacuum in the hose collapsed the hose over time. And I think this was the main reason for my engine to lose quite a bit of oil over a short period of time....I lost almost a quart in 1000 miles...no blue smoke, no wet patches under the car just burnt....oh yea, I took off the EGR piping from the EGR valve to the intake manifold, and I shot a can of carb cleaner in the holes and to my surprise, there was a lot of oil washing out of the intake manifold. here are the images of the hose and what it took to get that hose and PCV valve off....God I hate Nissan for this

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by emilbadal; 08-17-2014 at 01:01 AM.