Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

Reply
ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2014, 12:02 AM   Thread Starter #1
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Florkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Official Member #: 7134
Last Online: 04-24-2016 02:27 PM
Location: Northern Virginia (NOVA)
Posts: 96

Reputation Level: 7
Florkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default She cut off on me :(

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima SL. Recently, it's been having a little trouble starting (cranks and cranks, then you have to let it sit for a while, then it'll start). It had a CEL code for the EGR valve, so I had that replaced. Got the car back today, no hesitation in starting and it ran pretty much perfectly.

Well tonight, I turned into my neighborhood, and it started to act funny. When I gave it a little gas, it would go, then the RPMs would jump from 1500 to 2500, then drop below 1000. When I was about to park, all the dash lights (oil, brake, ABS, etc) lit up and the car shut off. Lights, radio, and heater were still on but the car was off. I tried to start it and it didn't crank, so I had to push it into my parking spot. My dad said he thinks it's the cam sensors but I'm not sure.
Florkin is offline   Send a private message to Florkin Find more posts by Florkin Add Florkin to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
maqxziman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Official Member #: 15988
Last Online: 02-20-2015 02:00 PM
Posts: 10

Reputation Level: 0
maqxziman is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: She cut off on me :(

Originally Posted by Florkin View Post
I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima SL. Recently, it's been having a little trouble starting (cranks and cranks, then you have to let it sit for a while, then it'll start). It had a CEL code for the EGR valve, so I had that replaced. Got the car back today, no hesitation in starting and it ran pretty much perfectly.

Well tonight, I turned into my neighborhood, and it started to act funny. When I gave it a little gas, it would go, then the RPMs would jump from 1500 to 2500, then drop below 1000. When I was about to park, all the dash lights (oil, brake, ABS, etc) lit up and the car shut off. Lights, radio, and heater were still on but the car was off. I tried to start it and it didn't crank, so I had to push it into my parking spot. My dad said he thinks it's the cam sensors but I'm not sure.
hi
sorry about your problem bro but i would advice that you look at changing both your camshaft sensors plus the sole crankshaft sensor since they all work in tandem. fyi am going thru the same issues; only when i scanned it did it come up with the afore-mentioned sensor OBD code p0340 but it definitely suggested that i replace both sensors as the car is beginning to shut off after about 30 minutes and it gets hot. it however starts up after about 2 minutes or so.
maqxziman is offline   Send a private message to maqxziman Find more posts by maqxziman Add maqxziman to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2014, 04:35 PM   Thread Starter #3
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Florkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Official Member #: 7134
Last Online: 04-24-2016 02:27 PM
Location: Northern Virginia (NOVA)
Posts: 96

Reputation Level: 7
Florkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: She cut off on me :(

Originally Posted by maqxziman View Post
hi
sorry about your problem bro but i would advice that you look at changing both your camshaft sensors plus the sole crankshaft sensor since they all work in tandem. fyi am going thru the same issues; only when i scanned it did it come up with the afore-mentioned sensor OBD code p0340 but it definitely suggested that i replace both sensors as the car is beginning to shut off after about 30 minutes and it gets hot. it however starts up after about 2 minutes or so.
How can you tell if the sensors are actually bad before replacing them? I don't just want to throw parts at it (again) and still have the problem. I don't have a CEL, so no codes unless they're stored or something.
Florkin is offline   Send a private message to Florkin Find more posts by Florkin Add Florkin to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
Reputable Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
sprocketser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Official Member #: 6257
Last Online: 03-25-2017 08:49 AM
Location: Qc,Canada
Posts: 2,028

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: She cut off on me :(

A good way would be to have the ride scanned for codes at some Advaced Auto Parts or else .
__________________
05 Sheer Silver A/T SER Altima , Ebay Grill
RIP Mai 27th 2015
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Costee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Official Member #: 2035
Last Online: Today 05:24 PM
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Posts: 307

Reputation Level: 10
Costee is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: She cut off on me :(

Originally Posted by maqxziman View Post
hi
sorry about your problem bro but i would advice that you look at changing both your camshaft sensors plus the sole crankshaft sensor since they all work in tandem. fyi am going thru the same issues; only when i scanned it did it come up with the afore-mentioned sensor OBD code p0340 but it definitely suggested that i replace both sensors as the car is beginning to shut off after about 30 minutes and it gets hot. it however starts up after about 2 minutes or so.
What's the mileage on your car? Mine is close to 120k; no issues yet on that.
Costee is online now   Send a private message to Costee Find more posts by Costee Add Costee to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
maqxziman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Official Member #: 15988
Last Online: 02-20-2015 02:00 PM
Posts: 10

Reputation Level: 0
maqxziman is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: She cut off on me :(

Originally Posted by Costee View Post
What's the mileage on your car? Mine is close to 120k; no issues yet on that.
Hi Costee,
Did you see my PM yet; I sent it about few days back. I currently have about 157***k miles on my Max. Got it at 150***k about 23months ago, but, have not really driven it much due to all the inherent issues (wont want to rehash since the well-informed folks know what am talking about!) So, as it is the CPS/CKPS situation is only the tip of the iceberg.
maqxziman is offline   Send a private message to maqxziman Find more posts by maqxziman Add maqxziman to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Costee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Official Member #: 2035
Last Online: Today 05:24 PM
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Posts: 307

Reputation Level: 10
Costee is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: She cut off on me :(

Originally Posted by maqxziman View Post
Hi Costee,
Did you see my PM yet; I sent it about few days back. I currently have about 157***k miles on my Max. Got it at 150***k about 23months ago, but, have not really driven it much due to all the inherent issues (wont want to rehash since the well-informed folks know what am talking about!) So, as it is the CPS/CKPS situation is only the tip of the iceberg.
I'm afraid I didn't get your PM. "Inherent issues"? The only serious issue is the valve body, which happily has now become less daunting to deal with. With >150k on your Max, it's probably gone through that stage before. If you have the four-speed, you probably need not worry about that. Get the oem of the cam and crank sensors, and you might never have to worry about them again for rest of your use of the car. I have them ready for my car.
Costee is online now   Send a private message to Costee Find more posts by Costee Add Costee to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Members And 1 Guests)
 
Thread Tools


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 PM.