Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:20 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2823

Reputation Level: 9
DDub is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Service Engine Codes...

So I took my car to Autozone because of my check engine light. It has been on for awhile, but when it first came on, like 2 months ago, I got it checked. It was the camshaft sensor near the front of the engine. So I replaced it but never got the light turned off. Well I went last month to have it turned off and the guy said there were no codes, and he told me to take the car to Nissan to have it turned off. Well I know they can turn the light off because they have done it before, so I just left. Anyway, I went today to get it turned off and the man plugged the scanner in and after about 20 seconds he said "well it looks like you have quite a lot of codes". He proceeded to scroll through them, and I didn't get a chance to see what any of them were, just that the last 4 said "pending" underneath, and I have no idea what that means. He suggested taking the car to Nissan because they have a real scanner where they can print everything off. My question is, is there any way that 1 code or problem can trigger the rest.? Because I really don't want to believe my car has 6 or so problems that need attention... It may be true, I just don't want to part with all of that money, especially cause a diagnostic fee from almost anywhere is at least 50 bucks or so, and from Nissan like 100... Any advice on what to do? I know the first thing to do would be to get all the codes from Nissan or somewhere, but I didn't know if there was a way around the $$ for diagnostics....
DDub is offline   Send a private message to DDub Find more posts by DDub Add DDub to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 584

Reputation Level: 10
timpol is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Service Engine Codes...

I would pick up a OBD2 scanner from a harbor freight or somewhere. A basic scanner will run you anywhere from $70 to $120 depending how many bells and whistles. But in that price range, they will all read, store, and allow you to delete codes. It will pay for itself after one use. Then you can get back to us and let us know what codes are coming up and we can advise on how to proceed.
RAZ76 (12-08-2011)
timpol is offline   Send a private message to timpol Find more posts by timpol Add timpol to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

I got my OBD II scanner from harbor Freight for 70 bucks, the cheapest one., That is all you need.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Advance or Autozone shouldnt charge you to scan that tho ,

have the codes been cleared before ? and they pop back up ?

Walmart sells a pretty decent OBD II scanner , I use that at home and the high end snap on @ the job
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2011, 05:34 PM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

I got the codes deleted at autozone yesterday, so I could see what popped up freshly, as the light has been on for awhile. I had 7 error codes, and they all cleared. But when I turned my car on, a second time (10 minutes later), my SEL came right back on again. So at some point i'll have to go back again and get it read off.

Also, I am starting to have a new problem I've noticed within the last week... I start my car in the morning to let it warm up, but when I go out to leave, maybe 5 minutes later, the car is off. It stalls out randomly on me, today it happened 3 times, not just in the morning. I notice the rpm's fluctuate maybe 100-200ish at idle from different stops, getting as low as about 600. After it stalls it takes a good 30 seconds before it will re-start... any ideas...? it's gotten me stuck in a few bad places already so i need to get it taken care of soon....
DDub is offline   Send a private message to DDub Find more posts by DDub Add DDub to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #6

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by DDub View Post
I got the codes deleted at autozone yesterday, so I could see what popped up freshly, as the light has been on for awhile. I had 7 error codes, and they all cleared. But when I turned my car on, a second time (10 minutes later), my SEL came right back on again. So at some point i'll have to go back again and get it read off.

Also, I am starting to have a new problem I've noticed within the last week... I start my car in the morning to let it warm up, but when I go out to leave, maybe 5 minutes later, the car is off. It stalls out randomly on me, today it happened 3 times, not just in the morning. I notice the rpm's fluctuate maybe 100-200ish at idle from different stops, getting as low as about 600. After it stalls it takes a good 30 seconds before it will re-start... any ideas...? it's gotten me stuck in a few bad places already so i need to get it taken care of soon....

Go get us those codes ASAP, I have a feeling one of them has to do with the MAF sensor? maybe wrong. We can speculate all day and night but without those codes, we dont know exactly whats wrong. bring us all codes

thank you

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 PM   Thread Starter #7
Official Member

Well I'll be able to tell Thursday, I'm taking the car in to the shop. I can't deal with it randomly dying where it wants, it's much too dangerous to just take my time with this problem. I'll be sure to let you all know what's wrong, I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to what was wrong.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Official Member

Official Member #: 584

Reputation Level: 10
timpol is an unknown quantity at this point

Again, difficult to tell or speculate without the exact codes. And seeing how there were 7 codes, it's likely a multitude of different issues so while we could guess as to a couple, we would also be missing a few.
timpol is offline   Send a private message to timpol Find more posts by timpol Add timpol to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top