Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:26 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2748

Reputation Level: 0
05SmokeSE is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
Default Read my Plug Please

So, like the subject says, please read my spark plug and tell me what you think.

I'm including a picture of just one, but all three on the front bank that I just removed to check all look the same.

The deposits on the electrode are hard and gritty, but they brushed off relatively easily with a wire brush. No oil on the electrodes or insulators but a bit of oil on the threads as you can see.

Not giving any clues about why I'm asking yet. Don't want to bias your read of the condition of the plugs. (I will say that the engine is running very well and the car has just 103,500 original miles on it.)

Tell me how you read these plugs please. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maxima Spark Plug 103.5K-1.JPG (32.5 KB, 5 views)
05SmokeSE is offline   Send a private message to 05SmokeSE Find more posts by 05SmokeSE Add 05SmokeSE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Read my Plug Please

How long have you had these in the car? Are you using premium fuel?
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2019, 07:44 PM   Thread Starter #3

Official Member #: 2748

Reputation Level: 0
05SmokeSE is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
Default Re: Read my Plug Please

Originally Posted by smittybizzle View Post
How long have you had these in the car? Are you using premium fuel?
These are the original plugs! So, 103,500 miles on them. I only run premium gas if it is reasonably priced, like it is right now. So, the engine has seen premium, mid-grade, and regular over the years.

So, with no oil fouling and no carbon fouling, I read them as just plain worn out.

I replaced the plugs this week with new NGK 6240 (PLFR5-11) plugs. Car runs even better now with a noticeable increase in performance.
05SmokeSE is offline   Send a private message to 05SmokeSE Find more posts by 05SmokeSE Add 05SmokeSE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top