Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:29 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 16595

Reputation Level: 5
KatIsFast is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Random Misfire and Throwing Codes

Hey guys! My 04 6 speed is running a little rough and throwing 3 codes:

P0300 - Random Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0507 - Idle Control
P1274 - AF Sensor Rich Shift Detected

A little background: A few weeks ago I had both cam position sensors, the egr valve, and an ignition coil (cyl 6) replaced. It was throwing P0300 before that and after the repair it went away.

I think the P0507 is because it's idling too high right now (a hair under 1000 rpm). The idle relearn has been attempted 3 times by a shop and I tried the manual procedure once and none of them held.

I'm a little stumped when it comes to P1274, as there appears to be a bunch of things that could cause it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you need more info I can provide it.

Thank you!
KatIsFast is offline   Send a private message to KatIsFast Find more posts by KatIsFast Add KatIsFast to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 2035

Reputation Level: 10
Costee is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Default Re: Random Misfire and Throwing Codes

It refers to your Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor Bank 1 (close to the firewall). It appears you need a new one.
Costee is online now   Send a private message to Costee Find more posts by Costee Add Costee to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2015, 11:04 AM   Thread Starter #3

Originally Posted by Costee View Post
It refers to your Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor Bank 1 (close to the firewall). It appears you need a new one.
Could a bad sensor put my fuel economy in the toilet? I'm only getting about 15 mpg right now.
KatIsFast is offline   Send a private message to KatIsFast Find more posts by KatIsFast Add KatIsFast to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 2035

Reputation Level: 10
Costee is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Originally Posted by KatIsFast View Post
Could a bad sensor put my fuel economy in the toilet? I'm only getting about 15 mpg right now.
Yes, I presume so. As you can see it relates to fuel issues; so it being bad would explain your poor fuel efficiency.
Costee is online now   Send a private message to Costee Find more posts by Costee Add Costee to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 9697

Reputation Level: 6
Sammaxvq35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Costee View Post
Where is this sensor located? Any pics will be great. Thanks
Old 06-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #6

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Originally Posted by KatIsFast View Post
It sure can. Please keep in mind that bad rear O2 sensors can trigger A/F sensor related codes. I just finished dealing with this. I replaced the two A/F sensors and still got the code.

I used a monitoring tool to check the readings/voltage on all the sensors. I saw the one that was lagging and it was the rear o2s.

But every case is different and these sensors are expensive if you go OEM.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
sprocketser (06-08-2015)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2015, 07:01 PM   Thread Starter #7

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
It sure can. Please keep in mind that bad rear O2 sensors can trigger A/F sensor related codes. I just finished dealing with this. I replaced the two A/F sensors and still got the code.

I used a monitoring tool to check the readings/voltage on all the sensors. I saw the one that was lagging and it was the rear o2s.

But every case is different and these sensors are expensive if you go OEM.
I have no idea what to even make of this car right now. I started getting faint smoke coming in near the floorboard on the passenger side for no identifiable rhyme or reason. I've checked everything out and can't find a cause for it. Even my mechanic couldn't figure it out.

I'm about to throw my hands up and walk away. It's making me crazy.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:08 AM   #8

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

For the P0507 the Idle Relearn should work as it worked for me.. Also with the misfire it could be a few things from a bad ignition coil or spark plug to a dirty EGR valve. Now the P1274 is more than likely the O2 sensor next to the firewall or it could be an intake leak.. Change the sensor first and then check for intake leaks.. Hope this helps

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top