Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM   Thread Starter #1
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Default Quick Question About Antifreeze

So I'm doing a change of pretty much all my fluids this week end and I'm still a little confused about anti freeze. I did a search and it seems like all I need is a gallon for a drain and refill....yes or no??

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Quick Question About Antifreeze

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post
So I'm doing a change of pretty much all my fluids this week end and I'm still a little confused about anti freeze. I did a search and it seems like all I need is a gallon for a drain and refill....yes or no??
I would get 2 so you don't run short and can't get any after hours. Make sure you get the OEM at the dealer Dave. Nissan has a specific antifreeze. Its not comparable to any on the market. Its the color of seaweed. (Dark green )
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 PM   Thread Starter #3
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
I would get 2 so you don't run short and can't get any after hours. Make sure you get the OEM at the dealer Dave. Nissan has a specific antifreeze. Its not comparable to any on the market. Its the color of seaweed. (Dark green )
That's what I thought but other people have said you don't need any thing special.

Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post

That's what I thought but other people have said you don't need any thing special.
I am not an expert on this, but I have never heard anything about using a Nissan specific fluid in our Machines other than the transmission fluid.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Any long-life antifreeze will do. I used the preston 50/50 myself. I do not recall how many gallons i used though.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

I've never heard of anything like that either, but knowing Nissan it's probably true.

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Always For Self

Official Member #: 50

Reputation Level: 18
craze is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Visit craze's Facebook Visit craze's PS3 Profile

Highly doubt it,aslong as it is a 50/50 u good

Posted Via Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 PM   Thread Starter #8
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Thanks guys. I bought 2 gallons of Prestone. It says right on the bottle safe for all makes and models.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 56
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

Does anyone know if this stuff actually works, they claim 30 degrees cooler

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPI5ZK/..._df_B000CPI5ZK

------See How It Was Built------
06BlckMax is offline   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Clearly, I conclude as most comments made you guys have never read anything about electrolysis or never used OEM coolant.... and are not aware of problems when you combine off the shelf products stating "safe to mix" with other coolants...
Read horror stories of Ac delco systems gelling up and clogging heater cores and cooling systems when you combine different coolants.

Then, there is such a thing as test strips to check specific additives in tranny and Coolant that is used by dealers to void warranties.

Put anything you like in your cars. Engineering is engineering. Saving 5-10 dollars on a bottle of OEM fluid over your Preston or other cheap junk coolant makes no sense to me.
Just my 2cents.
-=My Build Tread=-
MaxiM1923 (10-06-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
Premier Member

DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Clearly, I conclude as most comments made you guys have never read anything about electrolysis or never used OEM coolant.... and are not aware of problems when you combine off the shelf products stating "safe to mix" with other coolants...
Read horror stories of Ac delco systems gelling up and clogging heater cores and cooling systems when you combine different coolants.

Then, there is such a thing as test strips to check specific additives in tranny and Coolant that is used by dealers to void warranties.

Put anything you like in your cars. Engineering is engineering. Saving 5-10 dollars on a bottle of OEM fluid over your Preston or other cheap junk coolant makes no sense to me.
Just my 2cents.
Your conclusion is wrong sir. Electrolysis is when two dis-similar metals pass across one another. What does that do to a cooling system? It eats through the thin aluminum in the radiator, heater core, and any other thin metal parts. What prevents it is additives in the antifreeze its self. But those additives degrade over time. Hence one reason to change it every few years.

The gel comes from both mixing the wrong coolant, which speeds up the breakdown of the additives, causing the additives to prematurely gel up quicker than they would have with aging. The same reason to change it every few years with a compatible fluid.

Dex cool is the FIRST long life coolant to be used from the factory by GM. It is an organic coolant that silica and many phosphates are incompatible with. Put the wrong coolant in and you get gel. Leave it in too long and get gel. Just like any other long life coolant.

Point is, if the fluid is compatible then it is safe to use per even the owners manual for the car. Check out "Maintenance and do-it-yourself 8-7" in the book that most just leave in the glove box. It doesnt have to be OEM

07maximan (10-07-2012)
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2012, 06:07 PM   Thread Starter #12
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Some good info here.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
Your conclusion is wrong sir. Electrolysis is when two dis-similar metals pass across one another. What does that do to a cooling system? It eats through the thin aluminum in the radiator, heater core, and any other thin metal parts. What prevents it is additives in the antifreeze its self. But those additives degrade over time. Hence one reason to change it every few years.

The gel comes from both mixing the wrong coolant, which speeds up the breakdown of the additives, causing the additives to prematurely gel up quicker than they would have with aging. The same reason to change it every few years with a compatible fluid.

Dex cool is the FIRST long life coolant to be used from the factory by GM. It is an organic coolant that silica and many phosphates are incompatible with. Put the wrong coolant in and you get gel. Leave it in too long and get gel. Just like any other long life coolant.

Point is, if the fluid is compatible then it is safe to use per even the owners manual for the car. Check out "Maintenance and do-it-yourself 8-7" in the book that most just leave in the glove box. It doesnt have to be OEM
Lets agree to disagree. I never said YOU HAVE TO use OEM. I clearly stated you can put anything in your vehicle. However I will put OEM as requested and engineered.

One thing that I know for a fact is that I READ ALL owners as well as SERVICE manuals for all the vehicles I own as well as others I service...

If I'm wrong then perhaps you can explain this picture taken directly from the Owners Manual located in YOUR glovebox.
Maybe I'm interpreting Nissan literature wrong...but I think its self explanatory.

-=My Build Tread=-
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #14
Premier Member

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

I got the impression that the cooling system would self destruct if anything except OEM was used.

It is obvious that it is not going to as long as an oem or equivalent is used.

Agreed?

BurntOrangeAppeal (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
Burnt Orange

Yes, I agree. You cooling system won't self distruct when you don't use OEM.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 10-08-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Lets agree to disagree. I never said YOU HAVE TO use OEM. I clearly stated you can put anything in your vehicle. However I will put OEM as requested and engineered.

One thing that I know for a fact is that I READ ALL owners as well as SERVICE manuals for all the vehicles I own as well as others I service...

If I'm wrong then perhaps you can explain this picture taken directly from the Owners Manual located in YOUR glovebox.
Maybe I'm interpreting Nissan literature wrong...but I think its self explanatory.

@BurntOrangeAppeal
Your point is very well taken, but I do think you are misinterpreting the Nissan literature. Read it again and pay attention to the word "Equivalent". I think that word alone is self explanatory.

Nissan is strongly suggesting the use of their name brand product but clearly releasing themselves from any consequences or legal accusations of monopolizing the coolant required. My interpretation is no mechanical failure will occur if their product or an "Equivalent" green coolant is used.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 56
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

A nissan manual not going to say "spend money on another compaines coolant" of course they say use nissan

------See How It Was Built------
06BlckMax is offline   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top