Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5770

Reputation Level: 8
Simplyred06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Power Loss

Guys and gals. I have a concern with my car. It seems like my car doesn't have the kick like it used to. So far what have done was my had some work done timing chain repair and I have had about 4 oil changes due to oil leaks and timing chain repair paid by the warranty. Should i start replacing plugs and give it a tuneup, Right now it has about 71,000 miles.
Simplyred06 is offline   Send a private message to Simplyred06 Find more posts by Simplyred06 Add Simplyred06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Default Re: Power Loss

Their not just going to start replacing stuff. The timing chain tensioner will cost around 2400.00 from a dealer. They won't do it as preventative maintenance. The plugs should be good until at least 100k. Maybe get a fuel injector service.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 6036

Nick Fondz is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit Nick Fondz's Twitter

What about maybe a nice seafoam or doing the big 3 grounding kit upgrade?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:14 PM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post
Their not just going to start replacing stuff. The timing chain tensioner will cost around 2400.00 from a dealer. They won't do it as preventative maintenance. The plugs should be good until at least 100k. Maybe get a fuel injector service.
i was thinking about doing that PEP boys maybe.
Simplyred06 is offline   Send a private message to Simplyred06 Find more posts by Simplyred06 Add Simplyred06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 PM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

Originally Posted by Nick Fondz View Post
What about maybe a nice seafoam or doing the big 3 grounding kit upgrade?
what does grounding kits do just asking
Old 06-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Simplyred06 View Post
Guys and gals. I have a concern with my car. It seems like my car doesn't have the kick like it used to. So far what have done was my had some work done timing chain repair and I have had about 4 oil changes due to oil leaks and timing chain repair paid by the warranty. Should i start replacing plugs and give it a tuneup, Right now it has about 71,000 miles.
Yes I would do a tune-up as the mileage is almost there.
If the tune-up does not improve things and you feel like you are accellerating aggresively and the car is slugish, it might be due to the fact that one or maybe both of your cats might be starting to get plugged/melted especially if you own an 04-06 as these vehicles cats are gettibg replaced quite a LOT.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 AM   Thread Starter #7
Official Member

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
If the tune-up does not improve things and you feel like you are accellerating aggresively and the car is slugish, it might be due to the fact that one or maybe both of your cats might be starting to get plugged/melted especially if you own an 04-06 as these vehicles cats are gettibg replaced quite a LOT.
Thanks you sir, I think I would do a tune up and fuel injector clean up too.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
Official Member

Official Member #: 6036

Nick Fondz is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit Nick Fondz's Twitter

Grounding kit just makes sure that the main electrical connections are secure I believe. But listen to him instead ^
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #9

Official Member #: 7240

Reputation Level: 7
JGWoolfolk is an unknown quantity at this point

JGWoolfolk is offline   Send a private message to JGWoolfolk Find more posts by JGWoolfolk Add JGWoolfolk to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JGWoolfolk View Post
@BurntOrangeAppeal.....so i this where a bad smell could come from through heavy acceleration?
Yes, rotten eggs/ sulfur smell.
I would alsoreplace your ground cabke going from tramission ti battery.
-=My Build Tread=-
JGWoolfolk (06-11-2013), Latinmaxima (06-11-2013), LightBrite (06-11-2013)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #11

Official Member #: 7240

Reputation Level: 7
JGWoolfolk is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, rotten eggs/ sulfur smell.
I would alsoreplace your ground cabke going from tramission ti battery.
okay thanks! so with that said, what would be the most cost effective way to fix this? my max drives great but that smell has got to go!
JGWoolfolk is offline   Send a private message to JGWoolfolk Find more posts by JGWoolfolk Add JGWoolfolk to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Tensioners are $1400 at the dealer, Pops.

I'd replace the plugs anyway.. Clean up your intake manifold for possible oil buildup and injectors. Have the cars checked for any clogs/wear.

I need to installlll my headerssssssss

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post

I'd replace the plugs anyway.. Clean up your intake manifold for possible oil buildup and injectors. Have the cars checked for any clogs/wear.

Maybe by you. I asked one day for the hell of it and the service advisor told me it could go up to 2700.00. Maybe we were talking about 2 different things but that's what he told me...

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #14
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

i was thinking about doing that PEP boys maybe.
Please do yourself a favor and try to find a reliable independent mechanic and don't mess around with Pep Boys.

They are fine if you need to pick up some wax or tire shine or even a set of stick on port holes.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 PM   Thread Starter #15
Official Member

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post

Now that you mention there was an oil leak on the upper manifold and the car still smell like burning oil smell even after they fixed the leak. Dealer told me that it will smell for a while. Took the car like in mid May.

Last edited by Simplyred06; 06-11-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Maybe by you. I asked one day for the hell of it and the service advisor told me it could go up to 2700.00. Maybe we were talking about 2 different things but that's what he told me...
It's different from dealer to dealer actually. The dealer closer to my house is much cheaper than the dealer 15 mins away. That dealer wanted $2700, the dealer in Corona, Ca wanted $2800, and the dealer nearby my house charged me $1400.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 AM   Thread Starter #17
Official Member

Just giving you an update. I just took my car to the dealership for an issue in which the car stays accelerated even when I stop accelerating while i am driving. According to them they replaced the throttle body and the MAF sensor because it gave me a check engine light. It is still doing the same thing. Could a bad cat give you back pressure and cause the RPMS not to drop when i let go of the accelerator ? [/SIZE]
Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
Burnt Orange

Could a bad cat give you back pressure and cause the RPMS not to drop when i let go of the accelerator ? [/SIZE]
Yes,
Think of it this way, could you run a marathon with a straw in your mouth? Would your breathing be affected shortly after you stopped running?
Have someone use a video inspection camera ( called a snake) and unbolt the front A/F sensors and have a peek through that bung at your catalytic material....
-=My Build Tread=-
Simplyred06 (08-22-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #19

Official Member #: 14070

Reputation Level: 0
Apollo is an unknown quantity at this point

that rotten smell could mean time for a new battery too but, it doesnt seem like the battery would be the problem in your case. the stock cats are known to break apart pretty bad, if you still have under 80k and the car is less than 8 years old, take it to a dealership and have them diag. it. i know you want to save money and it sounds counter intuitive but if you take it to the dealer and the problem is a cat, the federal gov. will award you up to a grand to replace it. this is a warranty that is not exclusive to any manufacturer but rather enforced on them all, the gov't. passes laws that have regulated the emissions systems on cars today (EPA enforced) that allow a vehicle (more over the owner of said vehicle) that is either less than 8 years old or has less than 80,000 miles be awarded anywhere up to 1000 dollars to perform the work and pay for the part of said components (in this case the cat) related to emission functions.

in other words if youve been told or have enough automotive knowledge to daignose it yourself to know it is a cat for sure, bring it to a dealer ship. one inexpensive way to daig. a bad cat is to go to autozone or a place that will rent you a heat gun (could even pay and independent shop to do this for you and it would still be worth it) and measure the heat coming off the cat in two areas, the area of the cat that is closest to the engine and then the area of the cat that is closest to the tail pipe, if there is less than a hundred degree drop, more than likely your cats insides have diminished and must be replaced or you may have an exhaust leak (the more unlikely of the 2). Like i said, by doing this and finding out weather or not it is your cat and if your vehicle does fall within these parameters as stated above, the dealership (nissan) will have to replace it BY LAW. if not then i wrote a bible worth of drab emissions law, however this may be helpful for others unaware.

btw, im a newbie and more over a cave man caught in space phone times but, how the hell do you put a video on this site?
Apollo is offline   Send a private message to Apollo Find more posts by Apollo Add Apollo to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2013, 12:05 AM   Thread Starter #20
Official Member

I have at the dealer and he has no clue what it is. I don't have any smell but i let you guys know what is the outcome of this and thanks for the Cat info. Very useful info.